The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is This A Silly Idea ?

Is This A Silly Idea ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hasbeen
Is that a planned development on 1 title deed or a tree-change population increase in ordinary small village?
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 7 January 2017 4:30:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No not a planned development, just some tree change, some retirement & some prepared for a long commute to Brisbane or the Gold Coast, so they or the kids can have horses.

I'm here actually so the kids could go to what was good country town schools, rather than the drug soaked Gold Coast schools, & for the horse thing. Yes it was a long Commute, but worth it.

A lot of the kids we were running the sports activities for, are now running them for their own kids.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 7 January 2017 7:42:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the comments folks

Hasbeen, thanks for your comments and the question “what do I mean by community lifestyle ?”. My answer is, I’m not sure. I’ve spent most of my life living in large towns or cities so I have yet to experience the rural community life where people know each other. That’s part of the attraction but I’d also like to learn something useful (before it’s too late), like how to grow food and raise livestock. I was an Engineer in my former life so I like to know how thing work and we’ve had chickens and ducks in our back yard in Sydney. I’d like to experiment with self sufficiency, solar panels, solar water heating, rainwater tanks, septic tanks, aquaponics etc. We’ve spent the last five years travelling Europe and Australia in a motor home so we quite like the back to basics lifestyle without all of the clutter that we all seem to accumulate over time. While travelling about we’ve looked at quite a few over 50’s villages (Manufactured Home Estates) and they seem to have everything we could want eg. shared swimming pool, BBQ area, spar, bowling green, men’s shed, craft groups, veggie plot and bingo etc. It’s a cheap low maintenance lifestyle (the ground rent covers the maintenance for all of the common areas, typically $150 - $200 per week plus gas and electric bills), it sounds like fun but it’s not utopia, not everybody gets on with everybody but that’s life. The main downside as far as I can see is the homes are on very small plots, typically 2 or 3 metres between the buildings. And that is what led me to my “silly question”. I can’t see anything in the council regs and zoning requirements that would prohibit my idea, the land size can be anything greater than 1 hectare (2.5 acres).

Have fun
Paul C
Posted by Paul C, Sunday, 8 January 2017 1:18:22 PM
I moved to Bali. I've done the cities, in Europe, North Africa and all over Asia, and I've done the 500acre Mid North Coast farm, where the kids grew up. Now everything is different. Obviously I don't live near the chaotic Bali, but up on the tablelands. I wish I had moved here years before. I travel all over Indonesia, from Bukit Lawang in Northern Sumatra to Komodo to Kalimantan, every day is a pleasure.
Posted by Billyd, Sunday, 8 January 2017 4:48:35 PM
Hi Billyd,

I've done the holiday thing in Bali and they were the happiest people I have ever met. They had almost nothing, no running water, no electricity, no health cover, no money etc etc. We visited what I think was a typical property where they had three generations living in the same house but I guess they have a real co-operative community lifestyle ?.
Posted by Paul C, Monday, 9 January 2017 2:56:23 PM
A planned village with a patch of parkland is predictable. But 20 homes on 100 acre ( say 80 acres parkland) is trouble. Some will want koalas and long grass, some need mown lawns and weeded petunia beds, some trail-bike ski-jumps, some clear all trees for drones and cricket . Maybe for retirees , the koalas will win..
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 9 January 2017 4:13:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy