The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Where to now, retirement questions

Where to now, retirement questions

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I would be asking about and researching about scams associated with retirement etc to make sure you don't get caught out.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 5 December 2016 7:47:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you are going to own investment property, I suggest you buy industrial property.

A small to moderate warehouse office complex will produce a much better return than the same investment in rental housing, & if bought wisely, will be much less hassle to own & maintain.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 5 December 2016 11:25:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't buy an investment property in retirement,

the only reasons you buy property is for tax benefits and capital appreciation, neither are any good for a retiree looking for income.

In your case you will not pay any tax after age 60, so tax deductions are no good for you, and you can't eat bricks, its all about income.

As for rent on average residential property has a 4% gross yield, Commercial property 7% and industrial 6%.

So a residential property giving you gross 4%, minus insurance, council rates, land tax, management fees and maintenance, you will have a net return of 2.5%. Inflation is running at 2.8%, so you are slowly going backwards.

You could walk into any credit union and get more than 2.5% without any hassles. (not that I would recommend putting al your eggs in one basket) a good diversified portfolio of shares, bonds, property and cash will help even out returns.

In retirement owning residential property does not add up, better returns can be found elsewhere, as I said earlier a good financial planner will help you.
Posted by kirby483, Tuesday, 6 December 2016 10:08:22 AM
Again, I couldn't fault what Kirby483 says. Everyone has different circumstances, and as I said in my first post "one size does not necessarily fit all"
Posted by snake, Tuesday, 6 December 2016 11:05:03 AM
janelle@highndsitewealth.com

These people are great and deal with retired police officers, they are also qld based
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 8 December 2016 7:12:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy