The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Olympic Shooters

Olympic Shooters

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Young Victorian shooter Catherine Skinner has done Australia proud by winning Gold in the trap events.
She started shooting as soon as she was old enough, at twelve, to get a Minor's Permit.
Shows that starting young pays off.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 8 August 2016 8:04:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That was a huge effort,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/08/07/australian-catherine-skinner-wins-rio-olympics-trap-shooting-gol/
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 12:24:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise, yes good to see 'shooting' being conducted in such a benign manor, nothing getting killed, noting getting hurt. However, I am sure there are some regressives out there who would like to turn back the clock to Paris 1900, when live pigeons were shot at will in the shooting competition. Australia didn't win a medal, maybe Aussies were men (women did not compete) of conscience in those day. What do you think?
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 6:52:58 AM
More,

Paralympic Team

"Veteran South Australian shooter Libby Kosmala will be the oldest athlete to compete at the Rio Paralympics when she turns out for a remarkable 12th Games appearance. Kosmala, who hails from the Adelaide suburb of Klemzig, will be 74 in July, but shows no signs of losing her appetite for the action. She will be part of a six-strong Australian squad, which was announced on May 17. They will head for Brazil, where the Paralympics take place from September 7 to 18.

Joining Kosmala will be London 2012 bronze medallist Natalie Smith, plus London Paralympians Luke Cain and Bradley Mark, as well as Games debutants Anton Zappelli and Christopher Pitt.

Paralympic shooting is open to all athletes with a physical disability in both standing and wheelchair disciplines. Athletes compete in rifle and pistol events over distances of 10m, 25m and 50m, incorporating men’s, women’s and mixed categories.
Australia has won 25 medals in shooting at the Paralympics - 15 gold, seven silver and three bronze - since the sport was introduced in the 1976 Toronto Games. It was there that Kosmala won the country’s first gold in the Mixed 2-5 Rifle class.

Chef de Mission for the 2016 Paralympic team, Kate McLoughlin, is backing the Aussies to put in another good showing. “Our shooters have posted some terrific results since London and we are hopeful these results will continue in Rio,” she said.

Head coach Miro Sipek echoed those thoughts and also said the team would be spurred on in its campaign by honouring the memory of five-time Paralympian shooter Ashley Adams, who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident last year. “As a team, we are dedicating our success and medals to Ash, and I’m sure his spirit will lead our athletes to give their very best in Rio,” said Sipek.

The 2016 Australian Paralympic shooting team:
Libby Kosmala (Klemzig, South Australia)
Bradley Mark (Alexander Hills, Queensland)
Natalie Smith (Hidden Valley, Victoria)
Luke Cain (Boneo, Victoria)
Anton Zappelli (Willagee, Western Australia)
Christopher Pitt (Bundaberg, Queensland)"
[SSAA]
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 8:12:40 AM
Paul,

What do I think?

I think that you are a Green Grouch!!
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:24:18 AM
Is Mise. we could hold the 'Forum Olympics'. Give you a loaded gun, and OTB a loaded gun, and you could chase each other around a paddock. The first one to score a bulls eye gets a 'plastic medal' Sorry, we can't afford gold, You'll get on the 6 o'clock news.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 12:03:44 PM
Paul,

Why do you have to spoil things? Target shooting is a legitimate, enjoyable sport that kills nothing, as you say. It's a long time since live targets were used, and they will never be used again. It is always amusing that the far left will drag up the past to snipe at people, but ignore the lessons of the past when they do not fit the left dogma of today.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 12:12:56 PM
Paul belongs to the group that believes that those aged between 12 and 18 should not be allowed to shoot and to be taught firearms safety; funny that they don't have anything to say about the minimum age for joining the Australian Army and learning to shoot and moreover learning to shoot prohibited weapons.

What about 1080, Paul?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 1:50:44 PM
With so many media beat-ups 'Shock, horror, dismay and humiliation' for the serially upset and forever whining, it is good to read a story about the great majority of young men and women who are taking advantage of their opportunities and making the right decisions.

The video of Catherine Skinner, an open, positive, young woman who has excelled in one of the most competitive (but always welcoming) sports there is, was a rather nice way to start the day :)
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 8:26:16 PM
good luck for the young Olympians! :)
Posted by poli87, Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:22:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

If they only used air-rifles, or BB guns. Or paint-balls.

Being a very inclusive person, I would only compete if you were also participating in the game; I'm sure your involvement would be warmly welcomed :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 11:09:12 AM
It was only because in 1940 most of our country kids were competent with a gun, although not as competent as Catherine Skinner, that we could in a very short time, raise a militia capable of stopping the Japs on the Kokoda Trail.

It would take many months of training to bring a bunch of today's soft city kids, infected with Paul's green disease, up to even moderately useful.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 11:50:54 AM
Hi Joe,

I for one don't have a problem with target shooting, fun for some. I find the Olympics are no more than of a passing interest. To be honest it gives us as a nation an opportunity to back slap (winner of gold) many people who yesterday we couldn't even name. Winning us glory in sports that most of the time we would not show a passing interest in. But that's the Olympics.

Cheers Paul.

p/s I had an Aunt who won a bronze medal for diving at the Perth Empire (Commonwealth) Games in about 1960, She returned home rather proud of her achievement. So winning a gold at the Olympics I imagine is a great personal achievement, Just competing would be a great personal achievement.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 12:10:26 PM
Typical Greens 'Protest' Party, all bad manners and miserable attitude, forever casting about for an opportunity to cock a leg and stir.

Young people need positive role models. Who better than a girl, now a young woman, from a small town at the foot of the Victorian Alps who has overcome the claimed tyranny of distance from a major centre and beaten the world's best (and drug free!).
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 3:48:52 PM
Hi OTB,

Yes, I hoped that we will see many, many stories like Catherine's of persistence and effort and determination overcoming obstacles, stories like that young girl's from the Rio favelas who won Gold in Judo, who can probably look down on the Olympic venues from her family shack. Such beautiful young people, inspirations to almost all of us.

Then Paul presents another side - if nothing was spent on sport, pensions and welfare benefits could be increased significantly, and at the same time combat the pernicious glorification of competition.

Come on, Paul, enjoy it like other normal human beings, you're allowed :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 5:15:38 PM
Gold medallist Rafaela Silva's family made all of the difference.

Maybe Bill Leak was onto something. The immediate, coordinated tirade of abuse he received for his satire bears that out.

Memories of a gentle cartoonist and social commentator (what cartoonist isn't?) who liked to draw ducks, but one day committed the cardinal (PC) sin of drawing wee infants in a child minding centre. -The cartoon that is never to be seen again by the public. Censorship takes many forms.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 6:46:41 PM
Beach, waxes lyrically about a girl, now a young woman, from a small town at the foot of the Victorian Alps who a week ago he wouldn't have been able to name, and he wouldn't have given two hoots about. Beach what ever turns you on. What a difference a gold medal makes,

Joe, are you calling for regimental conformity? Do we all have to conform to your social norms? " Come on, Paul, enjoy it like other normal human beings, you're allowed"
You can enjoy the Olympics as much as you like, I have no problem with that.

"Then Paul presents another side - if nothing was spent on sport, pensions and welfare benefits could be increased significantly, and at the same time combat the pernicious glorification of competition."

Disappointed in you Joe, telling one of your pork pies like you have. Where did I say that? Sport is certainly a positive for young people and a benefit for society.

Some people like to jump on the bandwagon. Adulation for the winners and stuff the losers. What do you have to say about those who compete to the best of their ability, but don't make the Olympics, don't even win at the local level. they are just as worthy in my view
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 10 August 2016 9:35:07 PM
Hi Paiul,

'Regimental conformity" ? Absolutely not, I was suggesting that you do what you like, let your hair down if you want to. I'll leave 'regimental conformity' to the totalitarians both on the Right and on the Other Right :)

Sorry, I inferred from what seemed to be a poe-faced attitude to sport and the evils of competition, that you would prefer to spend all those taxpayers' dollars on more for pensions and welfare benefits. I apologise if I got that wrong. I'm glad that you can see the [positives of sport for as many people as possible.

'Stuff the losers' ? Is that projection again, Paul ? I have the greatest admiration for every competitor, people who give it their very best shot, so to speak, who don't give up and who suck it up if they are bested.

And, of course, if they do it all clean, no drugs.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 11 August 2016 9:47:08 AM
Paul,

".... but don't make the Olympics, don't even win at the local level. they are just as worthy in my view"

Dose that apply to 12 to 18 year olds enjoying target shooting on their
Minors Permits?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 August 2016 11:08:25 AM
Hi Joe,
I have always seen sport as a positive, I'm not sure about the sport of female jelly wrestling, although I can see it has a certain spectator appeal, particularly for the fellas in the audience.

Our grandchildren are testament to the good aspects of sport, both spend a lot of time doing sport, during the week, and on weekends. I believe the 'school yard Olympics' went very well with my 2 grand kids team "China" coming out on top, Nanna made the kids red and yellow gear for the games, and all enjoyed themselves, Iced cup cakes for medals. all okay, losers got cup cakes as well. Orange/gold for winners, white almost silver, for second and choc icing for bronze, the losers had to suffer with an assortment of other colors, so I'm told.

Fiji, is in line to win its first ever medal at an Olympic Games, 'Men's Rugby Sevens. It would be nice if they did, even if it costs Australia another gold medal, so much for the Kiwi's.

p/s I enjoyed cricket once upon a time, playing at school and local level, bowling leg spin, but a rather useless bat, 10 was a good score. A coach once said to me "You would be a good batsman, your technique is okay, bad luck you can't hit the ball!

Cheers Paul.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 11 August 2016 11:24:49 AM
I must have ESP, Fiji won its first ever medal, (Gold) at Rugby Sevens. Is Mise there wasn't a gun in sight. Good on the Fijians.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 13 August 2016 8:23:30 AM
Why don't you answer the question, Paul?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 13 August 2016 2:01:54 PM
Is Mise, you ask so many questions without ever answering one yourself. Lets combine all your ridiculous questions into one. Should we give 1080 baits to 12 to 18 year old's? The long and short answer is... NO!

One for you; Do you believe greyhound racing should be an Olympic Sport? If not, why not!
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 13 August 2016 10:08:02 PM
Seems the Brazilians are scoring plenty of gold. Not on the track or in the pool, but on the streets of Rio where they are relieving cashed up western competitors of their dosh.

"Gold medal-winner Ryan Lochte and three other members of the US Olympic swimming team have been robbed at Rio."
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 15 August 2016 7:33:03 AM
Hi Paul,

So who would get the medals, the dogs or the rabbits ?

You don't need to be so ambivalent about Olympic athletes: I'm inspired by so many of them whether they win or lose, it's the effort that matters.

And that's what kids in school should be rewarded for, or not, if they don't put effort in. No gold stars for loafers.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 15 August 2016 8:57:19 AM
Paul,

In answer to ypur question, No, greyhound racing should not be an Olympic sport; reason: the olympics should remain confined to humans.

Your turn, ".... but don't make the Olympics, don't even win at the local level. they are just as worthy in my view"

Dose that apply to 12 to 18 year olds enjoying target shooting on their
Minors Permits?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 11:06:17 AM
They could have greyhound shooting at Olympic speed. Afro-American and Middle-east looking shooting.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 11:50:45 AM
Hi Joe,

Absolutely, the $20 I gave the grandson after they won the rugby league grand final on Sunday, I told him it was not for winning, was not for being undefeated all season, but for the good effort he put in during the season, at training and during the games.
I would have give him $20 reward for effort even if they had lost.

I am sick of the judgmental attitude from news commentators about the Olympics. I believe the pressure put on young Cate Campbell both before and after her swimming was disgusting. The media made the girl confess her guilt with obnoxious reference to "chocking" and forcing her to make a stupid statement "The world got to witness possibly the greatest choke in Olympic history a couple of nights ago," Campbell told Channel Seven. Young people don't deserve that attitude and pressure from their fellow Australians. When she is old and grey I hope she looks back at the 2016 Olympics and is justly proud of her efforts.

Cheers Paul.

Is Mise, "You are better off smelling the flowers, that shooting the gun." Feel free to quote me on that.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 9:05:07 PM
What's the matter, Paul?

Is the question embarrassing?

Given that the Greens hate the thought of young people being taught firearms safety and having a good time with family and friends whilst doing so.

I can understand your dilemma.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 9:16:28 PM
Is Mise, as you are well aware I am anti gun, anti violence, I make no secret of that fact. Some people 'get off' with guns and violence.You being one such person.
"having a good time with family and friends whilst doing so." Whatever turns you on.

You might be surprised that the Greens in NSW have just elected an ex army officer Justin Field to fill the casual vacancy in the LC. As a graduate of Duntroon I am sure Justin has some experience with guns. Justin got my vote.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 7:28:02 AM
Just answer the question, Paul;, or can we take it as a fact that the Greens would seek to hamper the training and thus the success of future Olympic marksmen and women?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 10:50:02 AM
Paul1405, "Justin got my vote"

You've got his back, Eh? That usually means something else where the faction-ridden Greens are concerned.

Remembering too that you are forever going on about your claimed mates from the Eastern Bloc, your 'Auntie Lee Rhiannon'(Brown) and the hard-line faction she heads that is mainly based in NSW.

Who knows what to believe in the murky, highly secretive sludge that is Greens politics? Greens factional politics, some snippets,

"Bullying, backbiting and blame: divisions in the Greens laid bare"
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/bullying-backbiting-and-blame-divisions-in-the-greens-laid-bare/story-fn59niix-1226455323102

and,

"Greens acrimony: Bob Brown unloads on Lee Rhiannon and NSW party"
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/greens-acrimony-bob-brown-unloads-on-lee-rhiannon-and-nsw-party

and,

"Lock the Gate campaigner Justin Field wins bitter Greens NSW race"
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lock-the-gate-campaigner-justin-field-wins-bitter-greens-nsw-race-20160813-gqrs7o.html

Justin Field will have his work cut out defending himself against the NSW Greens 'Eastern Bloc', aka the 'Watermelon' faction, who will be undermining him at every opportunity and then some.

Your next unlikely spin to stretch everyone's credulity is..?
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 4:40:39 PM
Paul,

"....As a graduate of Duntroon I am sure Justin has some experience with guns"

Army Officers don't have/need to know much about firearms, they need to know tactics and be able to direct the fire of others.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 4:52:23 PM
He will need to be able to protect his rear end where the Eastern Bloc Greens are concerned.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 5:06:02 PM
Beach here is one of yours;

"One Nation's WA Senate seat candidate Rodney Culleton faces a nervy wait over his eligibility for the upper house following damning revelations he is awaiting sentencing for a larceny offence."

What faction is this bloke in? 'The Criminal Faction'! Is he a member of your faction? Never mind, you can visit him on weekends.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-one-nation-senate-candidate-faces-sentencing-for-larceny-20160706-gpzp4q.html
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 17 August 2016 10:33:22 PM
Criminal factions? No-one is guilty. In June 2008, Dick Smith offered a $50,000 reward to find the person responsible for Super Seasprite helicopters, after the contract was cancelled at a cost of A$1.4 billion when they were duds. No-one was responsible for deaths in the Rudd-Garrett roof insulation circus.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 18 August 2016 6:35:03 AM
( Don't mention the Voyager sinking)
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 18 August 2016 6:38:29 AM
//"One Nation's WA Senate seat candidate Rodney Culleton faces a nervy wait over his eligibility for the upper house following damning revelations he is awaiting sentencing for a larceny offence."

What faction is this bloke in?//

So that's one crook, one ginger (who we all know lack souls), and one raving lunatic who appears to be have been one of the scary children from the Village of the Damned:

http://madmovieman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Village-Of-The-Damned.jpg

http://www.onenation.com.au/images/candidates/malcolm-web.jpg

But I haven't heard anything too alarming about their NSW Senator yet. So maybe they're not all bad.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 18 August 2016 8:24:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy