The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Terra Nullius

Terra Nullius

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
Dear Loudmouth,

There were no anthropologists in 1788. Anthropology as a field of study didn't start to take root until the mid 19th century.

There are plenty of anthropologists working for the Land Councils across Australia. Try contacting the land Council in your area for a list of people they use.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 April 2016 6:52:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

You missed the hyphen.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 5 April 2016 2:01:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MrOpinion,

Again, that's what I was suggesting. Oy. How were the British to know what the relationship of foragers might have been to the land ? Their main experiences with hunters, still active in Britain itself, was that they used land but didn't own it - in fact, were just as likely to be poachers using it illegally.

Usufructuary rights were and still are recognised in English common law, i.e. the right to 'use', to hunt, gather, ramble over, but which did not constitute ownership. Still the case.

But - at least here in SA - those rights were also recognised - and still are. Yet again, anthropologists are completely superfluous in understanding that.

But interestingly, the most dedicated proto-anthropologists and linguists in the nineteenth century were usually the missionaries. Rev. Taplin's book (1874) on the Narrinyeri [Ngarrindjeri], for example, which can be found on my web-site; www.firstsources.info.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 5 April 2016 8:52:42 AM
Lo and behold ! I was talking to a bloke last night from the Adelaide Hills and he just casually mentioned that he used to cross the common in his town to get to school. Maybe rural towns across Australia use their park areas as commons, pasturing the odd sheep or goat, and they have much the same legal status as commons in English law ? i.e. land 'reserved', i.e. not for sale, for common purposes ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 6 April 2016 10:30:13 AM
I don't see the question as relevant in Straya today.I have some abbo blood, sympathize with their struggles, but enjoy the Judeo-christian way of life and rule of law, am happy with the Asian invasion as they're hard working and understated polite, quiet people, don't mind the Lebs and their ways except for the hard core wife beaters and Jihad fools.

All in all, Australia is still the best place in the world, and I have been to over 50 countries in my time, and lived in 4.

Lets move forward, enjoy the weather and let go of the past
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 7 April 2016 12:10:29 AM
Joe, I was reading the history of 'Alexandria Park' near Redfern in inner city Sydney. Back in about 1880 a local was granted permission to graze cattle in the park in return for attending to, protecting and watering the trees, to the councils satisfaction, Moreton Bay Figs planted by the local council. The cattle are long gone, but the fig trees remain and they are whoppers, must have been all of that cow dung. I wonder how he kept the cattle away from the trees, must have had them fenced off.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 7 April 2016 8:12:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All