The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What kind of Prime Minister will Malcolm Turnbull make?

What kind of Prime Minister will Malcolm Turnbull make?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Foxy,

I'm not the only one to find Turnbull wanting...it's becoming increasingly obvious that he is pretty much directionless.

Newspoll a couple of days ago had LNP and and Labor neck and neck two party referred on 50%.

The problem for is Malcolm that he can't afford to be wishy-washy with an election looming. He needs to be authoritative. He's already resorting to exactly the scare campaign style of Abbott.

"Expectations were high, but now the Prime Minister is resorting to the same cheap tactics as the man he overthrew."

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/malcolm-turnbull-is-losing-his-chance-to-be-a-great-prime-minister-20160222-gn0u2g.html#ixzz40yLJ2THd

"Malcolm Turnbull is slipping. Not just in the opinion polls, that's merely a symptom of his problem. No, he's slipping in his shot at being one of our great prime ministers.

And if he rushes off to a double dissolution election in July because he fears he may not win if he waits until September, that will be a sign his place in the prime ministerial hall of fame will be up the back with his three immediate predecessors."

"We wouldn't be onto our fifth prime minister in five years if federal politics wasn't dominated by moral pygmies – people lacking in courage, who see tactics but not strategy, whose only vision is of their survival in their seat and their progression up the party pecking order.

What the pygmies don't see is that the public can smell politicians and parties who put their careers ahead of serving the nation. What few people in Canberra remember is that Bob Hawke and Paul Keating achieved greatness by making changes they believed the nation needed, but their own supporters hated.

Turnbull will never be great if he takes his political advice from pygmies."
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 5:08:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How can anyone not see what a self serving bit of garbage Turnbull is does show a great number are easily conned, by a bit of smooth talk.

Personally I would vote for Brezhnev for Oz PM before I would ever vote for Turnbull. Hell he's so bad, I'll even vote for Shorten first. Having Turnbull standing behind you would be a terrifying prospect, even if you supported him, he has the instincts of a black widow spider.

Anyone else see that poll re preferred PM among those who voted liberal in the last election. 54% Abbott, 4% Turnbull. Now is that decisive or what? Obvious Liberal voters are smarter than Liberal MPs.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 5:15:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is interesting that Hasbeen and I criticise Turnbull.

Hasbeen is a Abbott man and would never vote for Turnbull - even when Mal appears to be bending over backwards to deliver far right wing policy...even when Mal resorts to scare campaigns a la Abbott and talks of "wrecking balls through the economy".

So with Hasbeen it's a case of this guy pushed my guy of the swing - he can never be an Abbott.

The rest of us think "thank God for that!"

With me it was more of a let's see how this goes for a while. Foxy and Suse no doubt consider I haven't given Mal long enough. But I truly doubt he has enough broad support to stick with him while he's in the policy wilderness. Someone said today (can't remember who) that Turnbull is proving intellectually flimsy - I agree.

Honestly, I have been waiting for this supposed bright guy, who has everything going for him and every propitious opportunity, to say something - anything - with substance.

Now he's resorting to making a fool of himself on the floor of the house concerning his support for "and" against messing with capital gains tax.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/pm-forced-to-defend-himself-after-what-appeared-to-be-a-major-slip-in-parliament/news-story/118dda3c46834eced67c56b6bbc0d05e

There's a dearth of talent and vision in the Coalition - and boy is it showing.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 23 February 2016 7:17:13 PM
From http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/brilliant-and-fearless-but-paul-keating-was-right-about-turnbull-20090626-czt7.html
"When Malcolm Turnbull took the leadership of the Liberal Party, Paul Keating decided he had some useful insights into the man. He decided to offer them to Kevin Rudd.
The previous Labor prime minister told the incumbent Labor Prime Minister on the phone that he had studied Turnbull over the years. Rudd had to understand three key things about Turnbull.
First, he should know that Turnbull was brilliant. Second, that Turnbull was utterly fearless.
At this point Rudd, an irritated Rudd, demanded to know, 'Is there any good news here?' Keating replied with his third point: Turnbull has no judgment. Keating must be feeling vindicated today."

The above was written by Peter Hartcher a few years ago, and from Turnbull's behaviour since then (particularly his patience) I gleaned the impression that his judgement's markedly improved. But what he's said this week shows otherwise. He's as reckless as ever, ignoring the facts about the things he tries to take political advantage of.

Same old Turnbull. The reasons the public distrusted him then are still valid now.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 24 February 2016 12:31:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'll vote for Liberal at the next election providing I get one of those free fake $40K Rolexes.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 24 February 2016 4:53:46 AM
Poirot you show your lack of understanding.

I am not an Abbott man, & never have been. To me he has some good points, not all that many, & is merely the best of a poor bunch. He was infact rather a disappointment in showing a lack of guts. After cleaning up the boat people mess, & sacking a few excess public servants, he went to water, & has caved in on most of the things he should have done.

His [& ours for that matter] only hope was to bash through or die in the attempt. He whimped it, & is gone.

I am a Howard man. It took a lot of bashing his head against the stupidity of the average, & failure, to make Howard the man of steel he became. Hell, he even went down fighting for what we needed to do. Perhaps Abbott can toughen up & become something, but he is not what we need right now, & may never be.

Turnbull on the other hand is now rudderless. He has achieved his dream, he is PM. Unfortunately he never did have any plan other than to become PM. He has reached his ceiling, & will never rise to actually being a PM in anything but name.

God help our grandkids, unless a Keating or Howard emerges, but only god knows from where.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 24 February 2016 11:39:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy