The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Would you pay $5000 to save a 'family' member?

Would you pay $5000 to save a 'family' member?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Foxy,

I'm not sure, if spending $5000 is worth the cost, as let's say her dog was to live only another 5 years - that's $1000 per year - and that's a lot of money. I've thought I could help by having a large garage sale, as I have a large amount of items in my garage.

At the moment she is under a lot of stress, and I am wondering why as one person has suggested (on this page) some people in Australia don't want to pay for example $5000 to "starving children's funds".

At the end of the day, it will be tough, as she has been advised she may only have a few weeks to make a final decision, if she is told her dog has full cancer conditions and will have to face surgery to live.

The question also for me is, where will she get all of this $5000 from, for one dog and his life saving surgery? I'm not sure.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 2 February 2016 8:27:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One problem I have SteeleRedux, when doing these things is the wind.

It always must be blowing at these times making my eyes water. I have to wait for them to stop, so I can do what I must, with completely clear vision.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 February 2016 8:49:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is very hard to step up close and give the animal thanks for its life, comfort and a final blessed quick release from its suffering.

Much harder on the horse if it must wait and be restrained for a veterinarian, but if s/he is already in attendance, so be it. There is a difference between older vets, country vets and many of the recent over-produce from universities. Over-supply -> over-servicing. Small animal practice was always different, but many (like dentists) now seem to be charging what the market will stand, while setting up additional services that must also make a profit.

Of course city veterinarians must deal with city types who have been imbued with a Disney view of animals. That in itself presents difficulties.

Next thing would be funeral directors for pets?
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 3 February 2016 9:23:54 AM
Having had dogs, the advice I got from our vet was that as liver cancer is predominantly in older dogs, surgery was painful, expensive and generally unsuccessful.

I would seriously recommend considering the dogs quality of life and whether one is lettings one's own grief override the welfare of the dog.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 3 February 2016 12:11:41 PM
I would pay $5000 to get rid of a certain member of my family and consider it would be a good investment so cheap.
Posted by paul walter, Friday, 5 February 2016 10:16:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy