The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > #oscarsowhite

#oscarsowhite

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hi Foxy. Thanks for pointing out that Selma was an Academy Award winner. Seems in last year's Academy Awards race was not an issue. So I'm still wondering how this year's awards are supposed to be different. Does anyone have an example of a movie that should have been in this year's Academy Awards and wasn't, as a proof that racism was at work? By the way, someone has suggested to me Beasts of No Nation. As it wasn't widely released I can understand why it didn't receive anything. The Oscars don't seem to be about art house movies, or telemovies.
Posted by GrahamY, Sunday, 24 January 2016 7:52:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Graham,

Unfortunately the film "Selma" was snubbed
at last year's Oscars.

1) David Oyelowo - was not nominated
in the Best Actor category. He played the role
of Martin Luther King.

2) Ava DuVernay - was not nominated
in the Director's category. She would have been
the first black woman to receive this nomination.

3) The film did not win the Best Picture award.

The only win was for - "Best Song."
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 24 January 2016 8:20:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Graham, the movie that I have read about most during this controversy is
'The Hateful Eight', with Samual L Jackson and Kurt Russell starring.

Apparently, Samual L Jackson is very good in his cowboy bounty hunter role, and there are grumblings about the fact he wasn't even nominated for an award.
Mind you, neither was Kurt Russell, and the violent Quentin Tarantino 'R' rated movies aren't everyone's cup of tea.
My husband is desperate to see it...as a cowboy movie!

I would hate to see the Oscars taken over by politically correct ideas like ensuring every race is represented in the judging panel. However, it does seem to be a little stacked against out of the ordinary movies like 'The Hateful Eight', and the lesbian love affair movie 'Carol' , where Cate Blanchett apparently excels.
Or is it just that some well-off Americans involved in the arts are generally quite conservative in their views on some subjects?
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 25 January 2016 1:32:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline,

You are saying that there are not enough Oscars to cater for your particular interests, eg lesbian flicks. However as you state, the films you enjoy are being made.

The likelihood is that the acting is not superior.

Too easy, next?
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 25 January 2016 3:49:35 AM
Well the academy either sat down and decided to exclude blacks, or they made their decision based on whatever merit factors they use. Historically the least “racist” segments were sports and the arts, talent was always recognized. I believe there are more legs in Mel Gibson’s statements that it helps to be Jewish in Hollywood.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 25 January 2016 9:08:15 AM
So the fight is between the 'Afro-'Merican' political correctness and established Jewish PC and back to the Frankfurt School?

http://www.academia.org/the-origins-of-political-correctness/

Head-butting of the big hitters of PC. Er, what about the 'Wonderful Womyn".

A three-way biff with no holds barred?

It is all 'White Mens' fault of course. That goes without saying. But how to divvy up the spoils?

Maybe politically correct Australia can show the way. The country where the major football league is very, very PC sensitive and even has a second competition for Indigenous.

Taking the PC lead from OZ that would require affirmative action for the main Oscars event and additional Oscars exclusively for Negro-'Mericans and for Wonderful Womyn. Hold on, Suseonline will be along to demand separate Oscars for lesbians, which should be a done deal too!
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 25 January 2016 9:39:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy