The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Happy 90th david f

Happy 90th david f

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Better late than never...

Happy Birthday, David. I'd wish you many happy returns but the day is nearly over, so all I'll say is that I hope you had an awesome day. 90 years, and still sharper than a tack... you're an inspiration :)
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 30 October 2015 10:38:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My regards to all who have left comments. The topic was proposed in time to have it in place before the weekend and the actual day - 31 October - if you wish, please feel free to add something...
Posted by WmTrevor, Saturday, 31 October 2015 7:34:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear David,

Actually, my wife and I got the date wrong and raised our glasses to wish you a happy birthday a bit early this year.

Never mind. All is not yet lost. We have just passed midnight on the 30th a few minutes ago here in Paris, and shall have ample time, after a good night’s sleep, to crack open yet another bottle of that excellent vintage red burgundy, of noble grape, not only in your honour but also in that of your dear wife.

With warmest wishes to you both until we meet again, as always, in the stimulating environment placed at our disposal so kindly and so intelligently by OLO … in cyberspace.
Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 31 October 2015 9:56:43 AM
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your birthday wishes. You have made me very happy.

That’s a good phrase, George, the red line of existence. We enter life squalling and bloody with fists clenched. We leave with hands open. We can take nothing with us.

In Swinburne’s ‘Garden of Proserpine” which is one of my favourite poems:

From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
Whatever gods may be
That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Right now I am reading “Introduction to Poetry” by James Fenton. It deals with the construction and structure of poetry. Even though one has read and enjoyed poetry knowledge of its structure helps to further enjoyment as knowledge of composition helps one to enjoy music. I wish more people appreciated the beauty of a mathematical theorem. Everyone cannot do mathematics, but almost everyone can appreciate its beauty if properly introduced to it.

Literature, music, mathematics, nature, family, involvement in politics and good food are my recipe for a happy life.

Yuyutsu, I apologise. If I have given you the impression that I am in any way religious I have utterly failed in communicating my attitudes. I read much about religion, but my attitude is like that of Diarmaid MacCulloch who wrote in "A History of Christianity":

“I still appreciate the seriousness which a religious mentality brings to the mystery and misery of human existence, and I appreciate the solemnity of religious liturgy as a way of confronting these problems. I live with the puzzle of wondering how something so apparently crazy can be so captivating to millions of other members of my species.”

I am fascinated and repelled by religion.

James looked for a moral equivalent to war. Religion is an effective mechanism for social cohesion. I I would like to see something equally effective but not as crazy replace it.

Thanks again, Wm Trevor.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 31 October 2015 10:01:16 AM
Happy Birthday David and wishing you many many more. This little fella will have to represent you in this birthday clip sung in the Fijian style. Again many happy returns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOsjL0PUm54
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 31 October 2015 3:17:10 PM
Davidf "Religion is an effective mechanism for social cohesion. I I would like to see something equally effective but not as crazy replace it."

Exactly! I am going to remember this quote because it explains exactly how I feel about religion.
Cheers,
Suse.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 31 October 2015 3:18:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy