The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Cults - your opinion

Cults - your opinion

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Paul1405,

He is an Austrian atheist. You are obsessed with the British. His irony was directed at the hijab and other head covering clothing worn by Muslim women.

Very pleasing to find that you are now critical of such sexist and restrictive symbolism for women.

Is Islam a cult as you are also implying? Yes, undoubtedly it does meet the criteria.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 1 October 2015 10:00:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Beach Old Boy, I am not, nor have I ever been, a supporter or devotee of the Islamic faith, like Christianity it is another load of baloney! I believe in secularism. That is not to say I do not support people such as asylum seekers who hold to that religion. I do not relate their secular problems to their religious beliefs. One of my very best friends is a Muslim politician, who has no problem with her secular work and her religion.

"Is Islam a cult as you are also implying? Yes, undoubtedly it does meet the criteria."
Given the narrow definition of a cult, Did not Christianity begin as a radical cult within Judaism. It did not obtain true respectability as an organised religion until Emperor Constantine embraced the faith late in his rule around the 4th Century AD. It took 300 or 400 years to gain respectability, so there is still hope for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti.

A bit of light reading for you.

http://www.antiochian.org/constantine-great-roman-emperor-christian-saint-historys-turning-point
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 2 October 2015 5:27:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405,

I am glad we agree on a secular State.

Also that Islam is a cult and that Muslims must do as Christians have done, which was to dump the medieval controlling baggage way back in the distant past. -Although our good friends the Roman Catholics have had vestiges of the old order drag on.

Like Islam, Catholicism would not have survived were it not for the support of the women, the mothers and wives who taught the fundamentalism at the breast and in the home and strongly encourage their husbands and children to attend church and the mosque.

Obviously women must value order and predictability. They must be encouraged out of those ways and to adopt Australian values.

Something for you to think about.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 2 October 2015 7:52:41 PM
//Obviously women must value order and predictability. They must be encouraged out of those ways and to adopt Australian values.//

I value order and predictability. Obviously you can have too much of a good thing, and a society with too much order and predictability is a stagnant society. On the other hand, a society with no order and predictability is anarchy and life becomes nasty, brutish and short.

I'm not sure if people should be discouraged from valuing order and predictability, and I am certain that an appreciation of a healthy amount of order and predictability is not a rejection of Australian values.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 2 October 2015 11:33:11 PM
I certainly agree with you there Toni, the need for a measured amount of order and predictability within society is most necessary to avoid the pit falls of the anarchist state.
A term often bandied about by neoconservatives and ultra right nationalists within Australia is "Australian Values" and the need to embrace such values as opposed I assume to say "New Zealand Values" or "Chinese Values", John Howard is a proponent of "Australian Values" as is Tony Abbott and I can only assume Malcolm Turnbull is, although he has been seen downing the odd bottle of that lardy dah Frenchy wine crap, also along with Bill Shorten and a host of other would be if they could be politicians.
As one who always craves guidance on such matters, and since none of the aforementioned persons have actually defined for me "Australian Values" I thought my best option was to 'Google' the subject, and sure enough I was lead to the official web sit, well it looks official, of the Government Department of Mateship and Fair Dinkum Aussie Values, it must have been established during Howard's time or was it Hawke.
It brought a lump to my throat, it made me want to put on the 'king Gee' stubbies and go out and polish the 'Kingswood', down another VB, kick stat the 'Victa' run the flag up the 'Hills Hoist'scoff down a 'Sargents' pie etc etc. Since visiting the site I haven't stopped reciting 'The Man from Snowy River', gee I've been overcome with 'Aussie Values'.

http://valuesaustralia.com/australian_values.htm

p/s Don't restrict yourself to 'Aussie Values' this site has lots of other values we all should embrace as well. I am particularly taken by the Aussie lifestyle values'. This site should be mandatory for school children and any ethnics who want to get in the door!
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 3 October 2015 6:13:14 AM
cult .An organised group, religious or not with whom you disagree.
from Fr culte : cultivation, tended land. from colere : to till (see colony).
colony: settled land, farm, landed estate. from colonus : husbandman, settler in new land.
This is serious.
Not the ..the... Nationals.?
Posted by nicknamenick, Saturday, 3 October 2015 7:33:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy