The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Patronising attitudes towards 'real' volunteers

Patronising attitudes towards 'real' volunteers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
With the woman going to the Equal Opportunity Commission, it can be very difficult for people with a disability/medical condition to get work, because they cannot drive. So many "higher quality" jobs for employers, simply want people with a drivers license, even if not really needed.

I was also hearing a person speaking on radio today, that the best charity to support, on the ABC (financially) was the Salvation Army, as 5% of their costs went to administration and 95% went to support people in need.

New registrations bring the number of charities eligible for tax concessions to 60,000, about 10,000 more than in 2007.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/surge-in-charities-prompts-warning-over-donations-20140103-309t1.html

Also with the film festival (the event I mentioned, and about people being used) the event had a "volunteer coordinator" and yet whilst volunteering at the event, some films went for three hours, we had no seating and had to stand up (outside cinema doors) for three hours straight and some people were sitting on the floor. It was an "out of touch" situation, despite the so called "information session" we had to attend.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 14 July 2015 5:14:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan, I'm sure they were not requiring you to stand at attention for three hours, but I agree, its not something I would enjoy doing.

Stick with the Salvos or another local op-shop. St Vinnies or Lifeline are good organisations. Food banks can also be rewarding.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 14 July 2015 5:51:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy