The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do nerds like?

What do nerds like?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Toward the end of the ABC news the announcer will say, "now to sport". At that point I leave the room. I was unaware of the existence of Andy Gibb until a newspaper announced his death. When Bush called North Korea, Iran and Iraq an axis of evil I thought it would be more appropriate to call them a triangle of evil since two points determine a line. He was geometrically handicapped.

I think I'm a nerd.
Posted by david f, Friday, 12 June 2015 2:02:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nerds like:

1. Processing information about science, nature, history and philosophy
2. Doubting received wisdom
3. analytic number theory
4. Analytic treatment of religion
5. Bach & Mozart

Nerds don’t like:
1. using words like fantastic, awesome unless the former refers to something not real and the latter refers to the Grand Canyon
2. true believers
3. Having to endure the company of people enthusiastic about sports, country/rock music and TV sitcoms
4. Bible study
Posted by david f, Friday, 12 June 2015 2:22:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know too much about a 'nerd' or a 'geek' or anything else for that matter ?

However I've been called many things during my working life, one such epithet very close to the word 'NERD' only it began with the letter
'T' and was spelt 'urd ?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 12 June 2015 2:44:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WTF?

Nerds do like all the things mentioned by david f plus much more.

The uncoordinated Nerd is a Hollywood construct.

True Nerds generally have exceptional motor coordination and often excel in technical areas – computer studies included.

The classical Nerd has the Myers-Briggs ISTP personality type.

Examples of Nerds with this personality type include:
Steve Jobs, Jack Dorsey,The Dalai Lama, Vladimir Putin, Erwin Rommel, Donald Rumsfeld, Ron Paul, Yulia Tymoshenko, Miles Davis, Frank Zappa, Stanley Kubrick, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Christian Bale, Eminem, Scarlett Johansson, Phil Ivey, Snoop Dogg, Demi Moore and Bruce Lee.

There are many other examples of the Nerd personality type. They are usually masters of their craft.
Posted by WTF?, Friday, 12 June 2015 2:57:03 PM
nerds like
looking at girls but can never talk to them
warhammer figurines
arguing about batman vs ironman
chess
telescopes
living with mum
Dr Who
Starwars or Startrek NOT both
Posted by Aussieboy, Friday, 12 June 2015 7:03:38 PM
//You might not get many bites since very few of us on OLO are non-nerds//

Fail.

//The ones I happen to know are really passionate
about stuff. They like things like fantasy and sci-fi
novels, role-playing games,
video games, comic books, non-mainstream music//

Pass.

//Nerd - a four letter word with a six-figure income.//

Fail.

//Perhaps you had better define nerd Toni.//

No, see the point is that that is being left as an exercise for the reader.

//A nerd would rather spend a day in a Paris art gallery, than a Solomon islands village.//

Pass.

//A nerd would rather be driven than drive.

A nerd would be a lousy driver, incapable of concentrating on such activities,

A nerd would never race a car, jump a horse, fly a jet fighter, or sail a yacht around the world, as he would consider these dangerous activities.//

Fail.

//The first, a nerd I think, struggled to make a living playing the Sydney town hall organ, & flogging self published cassettes of his music, the other made a lot of money with his engineering business. He is my idea of the opposite of a nerd.//

Fail.

//Nerds like introspecting about why they are still virgins.//

Qualified pass: nerds who are still virgins do enjoy that but not all nerds are still virgins. Nerds who lose their virginity do not renounce their right to nerdhood.

//Toward the end of the ABC news the announcer will say, "now to sport". At that point I leave the room. I was unaware of the existence of Andy Gibb until a newspaper announced his death. When Bush called North Korea, Iran and Iraq an axis of evil I thought it would be more appropriate to call them a triangle of evil since two points determine a line. He was geometrically handicapped.//

Pass with flying colours.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 12 June 2015 8:09:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy