The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The media - trash or treasure?

The media - trash or treasure?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Pre internet, the general public were reliant on what was published in Newspaper, or on the radio, tv.

Typically the media could be used to form and shape public opinion and was used as a tool for propaganda.
Posted by Wolly B, Saturday, 10 January 2015 11:23:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,

Wisdom is the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight - and part of this involves education and learning from others. After all you can't get the above from nowhere. Somebody needs to provide it. Read the link I put below, which came from the early media of Australia.

Wolly B,

Looking at early media in Australia, like newspapers for example - some stories read like poetry, are very descriptive (as they were so passionately written) - and you could tell by the writing and the scripture.

Visit: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31750358

The media of today, does not come to this standard. I get stories telling me about after Christmas sales for example (because of huge advertising from department stores) in a newspaper.

The link highlights a story in and around where I live - and see the point of difference of today's media. If the general media, continues the way it does - people will not know much about "now" in the future. Poor media equals poor information and social media isn't always better in terms of accuracy or quality.
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 10 January 2015 1:05:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From what I can tell Charlie Hedbo is just a juvenile trash mag that sucks in its readership by ticking off as many people as it can.
That of course is no excuse for the appalling bloodbath that happened in Paris but it shouldn't be any surprise that if you purposely target a bunch of deranged psychopaths often enough something bad is eventually going to happen.
Should the management of Charlie Hedbo also be prosecuted for knowingly putting their innocent employees in danger?
Posted by Crowie, Sunday, 11 January 2015 10:25:47 AM
If we look right back to as far as world war 1 we will see that the media had a huge part to play in inciting violence and war mongering and today is no different.
It is no accident that politicians and those that work in the media are two of the most despised people on the planet.
Posted by Crowie, Wednesday, 14 January 2015 3:16:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy