The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Would you turn to relgion if you were diagnosed with cancer?

Would you turn to relgion if you were diagnosed with cancer?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
Houellie,

"Did it make you happier or calmer Poirot?"

It must have had some kind of positive connotation - under the circs.

"Could it have perhaps been Elvis Presley?"

I have no idea...maybe it was John Lennon?

WmTrevor,

"Could it simply be that most people agree in many medical matters that 'There is always hope' and some feel compelled to start calling this hope God?"

That's a compelling line of thought.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 9 January 2015 11:39:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hehe Trev!

I was actually going to leave it at one post but now that you and Poirot have so quickly arrived I might revive old habits.

I have looked in a few times but this place really has gotten worse if anything. Though anti is back and it seems he has digested way too much political science and philosophy recently. Why people bother I don't know with all the pop culture to dissect.

There's been no posts about the significance of Kim K's bum at all!

I'm really hoping I get dementia before my partner:-)

'Could it simply be that most people agree in many medical matters that 'There is always hope' and some feel compelled to start calling this hope God?'

Not for me really. I'm too busy second guessing the doctors and attempting to trick them into revealing what they really think my chances are. If you had hope already why do you need god? In some way I find it comforting when it's all out of your hands. I just look on curiously at the fate that becomes me.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 9 January 2015 11:43:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellie,

I recall one particular instance in my twenties where I really thought I was going to die.

And I remember (again helpless) that I felt innately accepting of the fact there was nothing I could do. Whatever the outcome, that was it....and contrary to intuition, I was calm and accepting of my predicament and fate.

I didn't pray that time....but I can't recall a similar calmness before or since.

George,

Yes....in my mind I was praying to someone/something that could intervene on my behalf.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 9 January 2015 11:48:43 AM
NO.

But I like the idea that I am composed of 'star-stuff' - atoms that have been around in the universe for 13.8 billion years, and that when I die that 'star-stuff' will recycle back into the planet and the universe. I personally won't reincarnate, but all the atoms in my body will, into something - soil bacteria, grass, birds etc. Maybe eventually, in another few billion years, into a star!

On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at!

Poirot, you can be gobsmacked at life, the universe and all that without resorting to imaginary friends.
Posted by Cossomby, Friday, 9 January 2015 11:51:06 AM
'Yes....in my mind I was praying to someone/something that could intervene on my behalf.'

I don't think I'd like that thought. That someone was actually in control of the fate. What a bastard if they didn't help!

I have this feeling feel like I'm reading a book and the main character dies unexpectedly. It's a bit anticlimactic and I start to wonder why I bothered. It is nice to look on as my character is killed off, but I do feel a bit bummed I don't get to read the rest of the story. Then I comfort myself that I had a really good scene and the rest of the show would probably be quite predictable and then my mind turns to the cycle of generations and how they probably all thought they were significant and at least I'm not suffering under any illusions of that nature.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 9 January 2015 12:00:31 PM
Houellie,

I've missed your irreverent contributions. There's something about the way you look at things - which pulls us up and tells us not to take ourselves too seriously...something Poirot is apt to do.

I'm not really surprised you turned up out of the blue. I read a mention of Michel Houellebecq yesterday http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2015/01/07/3608780/charlie-hebdo/ ...and I thought of you.

Obviously, with my metaphysical powers, I summoned you back to the fold.

(That's a joke - but no doubt you'll take it as the ultimate invitation to leave us again: )
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 9 January 2015 12:07:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All