The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is the meaning of life? Does life have a purpose?

What is the meaning of life? Does life have a purpose?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Down through the ages ring questions as to the
nature of humankind. Are we masters of our own
destiny or playthings of the gods? How will the
battle of good and evil end? Is death an end or
a beginning?

In what we like to think of as more primitive times
man speculated and symbolised his answers in story:
what we call myth. What causes night and day? Why do
the seasons come and go? How? What's the origin of fire?
Flood? Disaster?

Every culture it would seem, has its mythology, needs
answers to the unknown that satisfy an inner need,
needs some sort of belief system to govern life.
The nature of man is a seeking, curious,
speculative creature seeking answers to the
imponderables of life, and looking for a faith to steady
him and give him direction. As science
provides answers, new questions and new dilemmas arise.
And man's ongoing spiritual search for a way to Truth and
Life continues.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 12:02:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course life has no intrinsic meaning, even your conception was merely a race between sperm, not a giant cosmic plan. The only meaning to a life is what that life injects into it.

For me life is about feelings, physical or emotional.

The feeling of driving a very fast car across the top of the mountain at Bathurst, the feeling of a good horse gathering himself under you before a jump, or a yacht surfing down a wave on the way to Hobart. These are physical feelings you will never forget.

Then there is the feeling written on the face of your pit crew after a win or a loss, & knowing you are responsible for their feelings.

There is the feeling for a loved one, or a child, so different when they are hurt, or victorious in something no matter how small.

I get a warm feeling every time I walk down the paddock, & my old stallion gives me a whiney, & comes up for a pat, a 27 year old friendship. Then there is the pleasure when the just out of the nest magpie jumps up onto your knee, when you are sitting out front feeding the flock a bit of mince.

If this is the meaning of life, I'm all for it, but for many it is more about a new stainless steel oven. Well so what, who the hell am I to tell others what should give their lives meaning.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 2:19:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The meaning of life,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBArMmngVH4&list=PL6kapv4YcqLalu3M9UvFPuSB2cdWDG1S_
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 3:14:09 PM
NathanJ,

Live in the moment. Read a lot and travel, not as a tourist though - throw the camera away and absorb.

Spirituality? That is personal and Hasbeen has shown you the way, maybe not intentionally.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 3:20:43 PM
Thank you onthebeach, enlightened right up to the penises, lighthearted from there. Flowers weren't impressed though.
Posted by HereNow, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 4:23:48 PM
Pericles,

>>"Does life have a purpose?”<<

I think this question does not make much sense. I can only ask and try to answer the question “Does MY life have a purpose for ME?”, i.e. “Do I see a purpose in MY life?” with a YES or NO, eventually with qualifications. I cannot ask, even less answer, the question “Does YOUR life have a purpose for YOU?”, and an answer to “Do I see a purpose in YOUR life?” is irrelevant even inconsiderate or worse, although I might be able to ask (but not answer for you) the question “Do YOU see a purpose in YOUR life?”
Posted by George, Thursday, 23 October 2014 9:20:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy