The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Poetry,Verse, and Rhymes - The preserve only for Intellectuals & Academics, or everyone ?

Poetry,Verse, and Rhymes - The preserve only for Intellectuals & Academics, or everyone ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
May May, Richard Starkey the lead singer LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krIus0i9xn8
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 8:13:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ummmm Paul, I really, really, really hope you know that's not the magnificent "real" Ringo, and that's not the "real" Beatles. Please, please tell me you knew this. Pretty please.
Posted by May May, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 8:26:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, they look a bit odd, is there one of Ringo singing 'Yellow Submarine;, otherwise that will have to do. I recent askedly a bloke singing Beatles songs at a club. "Can you do 'Yellow Submarine'.." That request was met with a flat "No!".

Here's "The Beatles" but no movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cwWP5Qf1k
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 8:42:43 PM
Dear FOXY...

Brilliant just brilliant. MB is one of my most favourite and perhaps sadist of all the Opera's ! The ending is truly shattering being as it was, a true reflection of Anglo/Japanese life. More later.

Hi there SONOFGLOIN...

Sorry my friend if I mislead you ? I couldn't put together a piece of prose if my life depended upon it. You're so lucky to have a brain capable of consigning your inner most thoughts to verse. The only thing I ever managed to write was a disgusting 'ditty' about a hundred years ago now, nothing else. Imagine if you will, you could write beautiful poems of love and loss, you'd be a real hit with all the ladies ? Wasn't it Romeo who mezmerised Juliet with love poems ?

IS MISE - For your Korean Service;

Thanks, boys, for the peace you helped to keep
In this fair land that has not known,
The agonies of ruthless war,
Save those who for the absent weep.
Yet,smiling through their tear-stained eyes,
They thank you, too, for what you bore
Through weary years, not for the praise
You hoped to get, but freedom's cloudless skies
That they might be forever more
The very joy of living ne'er forgot.
And so with deepest gratitude we say,
"Good luck, God bless you all, and thanks a lot!"

(anon.) a Korean war verse.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 8:51:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry there FOXY, seems I've had (another) 'senior moment' with my initial spelling of 'sadist' should read --> 'saddest' !

I'm sure you've seen PUCCINI'S great Opera, if not heard it, either in full or highlights at least ? I'm not generally of the emotional kind, (save for our dogs) but Madame Butterfly does bring a lump to one's throat, music and lyrics alike.

Your quote ? Or your last sentence '...One can rid the world of atrocities only by refusing to take part in them...' ? A powerful statement to be sure. Only thing, war in itself is an atrocity. The killing of another is wrong. Yet he attempts to kill you ? A true pacifist in a war event, is brave. His life is threatened, yet he refuses to take-up arms in his own defence, his pacifists belief's overrides everything including preventing his own destruction ? Courageous or stupidity ?

We had a couple of blokes in our Coy. one profoundly pacifist. The other identified with the teachings of 'the Society of Friends' (Quaker's) but he'd give a tube of 'Fosters' a bit of a nudge ? Anyway both were Medical Corps, and were always up for it when the ordnance started flying about. I had enormous respect for both, though being pretty young, I used to cop an 'ear full' of Christian values and stories, which tended to dislocate my efforts of fitting in with the rest of my section. Both medics were on Company strength, so it never bothered them.

Thank you FOXY.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 9:41:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

Another teenager penned one of my favourite poems, one John Magee, a Spitfire pilot who died at the age of 19 in a midair collision, but not before gifting us this;

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 1 October 2014 11:18:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy