The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Automobile Technology - And the elderly:

Automobile Technology - And the elderly:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Well finally my dear wife and I had ultimately decided on our new car and after much reflection and discussion we happily went out and made this monumental purchase. I say 'monumental' because it's often said next to purchasing your first home buying a new car is the next major source of expenditure you'll probably make in quite some time ?

After parting with a little over $51k my wife drove this shining German built machine from the vendor's showroom ('car yard' sounds so prosaic) to our modest little cottage about 15kms away. Why was my wife first to drive it not I, the rugged, manly spouse who hitherto drove high powered police pursuit vehicles in years gone by ?

Well, I should 'fess' up I suppose ? Typical of German ingeniousness and design. There's no need to release the handbrake, it's automatic. Both the headlights and windscreen wipers also automatic ! When stopped at traffic signals, the engine 'turns off', a touch of the accelerator it re-starts, 'mystically' ? It has more Airbags then one can count including in the front seats. In the centre dash, there's a large TV screen, it's not really a TV screen it's a 'monitor thingo' where everything is displayed, and I do mean everything !

Reversing and parking cameras abound ? There's no car radio antenna to be seen ? There's a 'blue tooth', a good tooth and every other sort of denture to be had in the jolly thing ! As stated earlier, I wasn't courageous enough to drive home from the Showroom, no matter how quiet and 'torquey' it may've been !

Evidently, good people, you no longer need to operate a motor car in the conventional sense anymore ? Seemingly technology has transcended, to such magnitude even the simplest of pleasures like driving a brand new car with that enduring savour of contemporary leather and that 'new car' aura, together with startling acceleration, has apparently been supplanted by technology. Moreover it's a case that technology is likely driving us, or so it would seem anyway ?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 25 May 2014 5:59:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good story.
Posted by Josephus, Monday, 26 May 2014 8:43:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hope you enjoy the new 'motor'...

I am assuming that rank has its privileges.

"Why was my wife first to drive it not I, the rugged, manly spouse who hitherto drove high powered police pursuit vehicles in years gone by?"

Was it to enable you to sit in the back seat and be chauffeured home in the style to which you would like to become accustomed?
Posted by WmTrevor, Monday, 26 May 2014 8:48:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee o sung wu, a Hitler's revenge. I'm surprised at you. Just kidding mate, they build some goodens, but they do like to get you by the short & curlys.

When my cousin visited in his new Audi he was worried about the large CHECK OIL sign that had just appeared on his screen. The handbook showed how to read the dipstick, but the car did not have one. Only a dealer could check it. With the nearest dealer 70 kilometers away, he was frightened to add oil, & terrified not, to before driving that far.

Yes they have now found a way to force the motoring public to buy a new car every 5/6 years, pay hugely for dealer servicing, & not be accused of indulging in planned obsolescence.

Instead of building the best car, up to the price they charge, they now build a cheaper car, & load it up with a host of unnecessary gadgets, which have more appeal to the less technical. Even motoring writers today tell you all about the gadgets, rather than tell you if it can accelerate out of site on a foggy night, stop quickly, or get round a corner at above walking speed.

I think it is Hyundai that will sell you the same car for $19,990, or $44000 for the same car loaded with gadgets. The gadgets are more than half the value? of the car.

As many as possible of these items, even simple windows & door locks, have no option to allow manual operation, so must be replaced, & only by the dealer with the computer software, or the car can not be driven.

With the huge charges for these gadgets it does not take many failures for cost of replacements to exceed the value of the car. Hell with all those airbags, even a minor crash from which the car can be driven away, can set off enough of them to render a 4 year old car uneconomic to repair.

Incidentally should you really admit, in writing, you pinched, or went joyriding in, all those cop cars
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 26 May 2014 11:24:55 AM
I can imagine how you feel, o sung wu.

My own car is now 25 years old, and when I see the amount of technology in your average new car today, it blows me away.

And still it goes on. Google's driverless cars have recently topped a million kilometers of accident-free testing in California, yet in my car I still have to look over my shoulder when reversing.

I expect by the time I get around to buying a new machine, it will be able to make its own way to my place from the showroom...
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 26 May 2014 11:27:51 AM
Oh, & don't take my previous post seriously, it was meant as fun. Sort of.

Do enjoy wafting around, rather than indulge in your old legal hooning activities, you no longer wear the tee shirt remember.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 26 May 2014 11:29:13 AM
These new cars must be an auto electrician's dream.

My main concern with all the new bells and whistles on cars these days is that there is so much more that can go wrong. I'm already cursing an electric window in my thirteen-year-old car that no longer works.

I also get frustrated when I drive a car that doesn't allow me to take the keys out because I haven't slipped it into "Park" yet; or doesn't allow me to slip it into "Drive" because my foot isn't on the brake. Not allowing a manual car to start unless your foot is on the clutch makes sense, but if I go to slip an automatic car into "Drive" without having my foot on the brake, then I bloody well want to be able to do it. Just imagine not being able to drive your car because one of these mechanisms failed. This is probably why I like manual cars so much: manual transmission seems like the one piece of control I still get to exercise over a car.

But these are all first world problems.
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 26 May 2014 3:47:58 PM
'afternoon to you; JOSEPHUS, WM TREVOR, HASBEEN and PERICLES...Thank you all for replying to my simple topic.

Hi there HASBEEN...

'Hooning' around in a seventies model 5.8 Falcon, between Hornsby & Gosford, wasn't too bad really. Putting the fear of God into the hearts and minds of the many ne'er do wells who chose to run the Pacific Hwy. gauntlet, was satisfying. Considering some of the worst and most horrific fatal's, we're 'forced' to attend as a consequence of their total traffic madness!

A question if I may ? This German beast whenever it stops at traffic signals, or on any other occasion, it automatically switches 'off' the engine. Ostensibly, so we're told, for the purposes of saving fuel ?

I readily acknowledge my understanding of automotive mechanics may be essentially rudimentary, to me by re-cranking the engine in order to re-start it, on each and every occasion the engine is automatically turned off, seems absurd even counterproductive to me ? To my way of thinking, it only serves to increase a much greater level of wear 'n tear, to such tenuous componentry as the battery, and the starter motor, fuel pump etc, particularly on very cold mornings ?

Like 'em or hate 'em, the Germans make a fair sort of car. Nevertheless, it's for this reason I just can't figure out why such a feature has been firstly engineered, and then introduced into such a reasonably regarded marque ? Come on HASBEEN, you're the 'go to man' on such perplexing questions and answers, please ?

Hi there WM TREVOR...

If the standard of motor car was juxtaposed by my previous rank, the only individual who just might be at risk of being deprived of his 'ride' might be poor ol' Mr Bean ? Many thanks indeed for you response, I greatly appreciate it.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 26 May 2014 5:03:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The more Toys you get, the more you have to fix ! Once there broken you cant just open the bonnet and fix it yourself, you will have to pay through your nose instead ! I prefer the cars of yesterday, a bit of elbow grease a second hand part and your off and running, and whats even better, no beep beeps and ding dings as you drive along !
Posted by trapdiocan, Monday, 26 May 2014 5:04:14 PM
Sorry o sung, I really don't know what system they use. I certainly hope it is not the old bendix starter motor system, which is a rather rough engagement. I assume they have a soft engagement of the gears, effected before the power is introduced.

I expect they have introduced it to counter the promotion of it as an advantage of the dreadful hybrid things. They have a huge battery capacity compared to normal cars, to provide the starting power.

As we now see, many modern turbo diesels are achieving the same or better economy as the hybrid, & this may be one of the ways they are doing it.

I wonder how they handle morning peak hour in places like the Gold Coast expressway. When I have had to use it, the usual progress through the Springwood area is about 6 car lengths between stops. I wonder how many starts the battery can supply.

Aston Martin went all up market with the first electronic instrument display quite a few years back now. The huge warrant claims sent them bankrupt for the second time, allowing Ford to buy them. I hope your electronid wizard device is better proven.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 26 May 2014 5:54:43 PM
Good evening; HASBEEN, A J PHILIPS & TRAPDIOCAN...

Thanks HASBEEN for trying to figure out exactly what technology they employ and how they achieve it ? Having opened the bonnet myself, I peered in and was confronted with this completely sealed unit, obviously designed to defeat all efforts by meddling busybodies like myself, from mucking about with their precious German engineering. With the only (apparent) permissible access points, being the usual filling ports for oil, windscreen washers, brake fluids etc., and nothing else that may tempt an old goat like moi, from interfering with their pretentious little car out of sheer inquisitiveness !

I tend to agree with our friends A J PHILIPS and TRAPDIOCAN when they both said, the more 'bells and whistles' you have, the more things that can go wrong, and the costly it becomes ? I might add for the record, these tricky little bits will never wear out on my account, because I have absolutely no idea how they work or what they do ?

I might add it's all rather annoying you know, when one is confronted by the immutable fact of how dull witted one becomes in old age ? In conclusion, I'd like to thank you one and all, for your various levels of commiserations and moral support you've extended me, during this time of immense trial of purchasing a new car ?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 26 May 2014 10:39:12 PM
< I wonder how they handle morning peak hour in places like the Gold Coast expressway. When I have had to use it, the usual progress through the Springwood area is about 6 car lengths between stops. I wonder how many starts the battery can supply. >

They don't use the battery, Hasbeen. When the engine stops the computer knows which cylinder is in the right place to fire. It injects a small amount of fuel into that cylinder, which in a warm combustion chamber instantly vaporises. It then fires the spark plug multiple times and away she goes. If the engine doesn't start, it tries again, if that fails it engages the starter. At least, this is how the Audi's work.

Congrats on getting a new car o sung wu. I hope it gives you years of trouble free running.
Posted by RawMustard, Monday, 26 May 2014 11:15:25 PM
Thanks for that raw mustard, a very sweet & simple technique I suppose with the computer power in them today. I've haven't bothered keeping up with this stuff, as the cars just don't interest me. I wonder if that is a simple age thing, or do we get locked into a vintage, never to progress our interest.

Some gratuitous advice o sung wu.

You now have to be very careful that this new car thing doesn't become a habit. It is known to be very habit forming in some people, & a dammed expensive habit it is too.

About 7 years ago our Cressida was 20 years old, with just 377,000 kilometers on it, was going fine. I was having some difficulty loading my mothers wheel chair into it, & my lady had never had a new car. She was very taken with the little Mazda 2, & it was easy to get that wheelchair into, so I bought one for her.

I thought it would be nice for her to have one new car in her life. However, would you believe, with it only 7 years old with just 185,000 kilometers on it, so nearly new, she started wanting another new one. I really don't know what the world is coming to.

So you be careful, or buying these new cars will become a habit, have you in the poor house even yet.

Oh, that new Audi of my cousins. Trying to find the dipstick, I pulled the huge chunk of plastic clipped over the top of the engine. You should have seen the look of horror on my cousins face as I did. He had no idea it was just a bit of pretty sound deadening, & not a major component. He is the sort of customer the car companies want. To him cars are a total mystery, making him very easily conned at service time.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 12:33:46 AM
O Sung Wu, I know how you feel.

I have a new job that required me to salary sacrifice a new car.
It was the first actual new car I ever had...only 200 Km's on the Odo.

I was so scared to drive it, with keyless start, taller car, and camera for reversing, it took me 2 days to read the manuals!

That was 3 months ago, and now I LOVE the car, and I can reverse like a truckie !
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 2:24:51 AM
Not the most felicitous of similes, Suseonline. Not in Sydney, at least...

>>That was 3 months ago, and now I LOVE the car, and I can reverse like a truckie!<<

Here, that "beep beep" noise is shorthand for "I can't see you, so get that heap of crap out of my way".
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 9:56:51 AM
'afternoon to you HASBEEN, RAWMUSTARD, SUSEONLINE & PERICLES...

Thank you all for your marvellous support and advice, we both appreciate it. Thank you too RAWMUSTARD for taking the time to carefully explain the process of how the car instantaneously re-starts and stops whilst amid heavy traffic. These German automotive engineers are pretty slick people, to be able to develop such a technological strategy in order to reduce fuel consumption, if only minimally, when negotiating heavy traffic areas, amazing ! Thank you also for your good wishes too RAWMUSTARD, it's indeed appreciated, as we both 'motor on' in our new 'jalopy' !

Like HASBEEN, I was brought up on manual cars, with vacuum wipers and electric fuel pumps. The latter tended to vaporise in the hot Aussie weather. Easily rectified by a firm tap with a spanner until once more one could again hear the obligatory 'ticking' of the fuel pump, again functioning perfectly ! At least I could work on the thing with some small degree of adroitness, today I can barely add fuel, it's so jolly complicated, but oh so quiet when driving around, you can hardly hear the engine there's so much sound proofing in the engine bay ?

I'm very glad to hear that you've overcome the initial vagaries and technology of you new car SUSEONLINE, and I suppose I'll overcome my initial concerns in time ? Though it's highly unlikely I'll ever reach the stage of reversing ours like a 'truckie' no matter how I might try ? It's hard to believe I actually qualified on the seven week pursuit course all those years ago (early 1971, at St Ives), yet I now drive like an old grandmother (my profound apologies to ALL Grandmother's!) these days ?

Off topic I know, but it has to be said:- ROGERSON has now been charged with murder. OK, I accept that. Yet there was a time, when this bloke was probably the best, the most shrewd, most courageous, and most KIND detective I've ever known in my career. Notwithstanding recent events, it has to be said !
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 5:39:19 PM
Keep the old car for as long as possible is my motto. In remote area there is no NRMA etc.
The recovery fees for getting a hi-tech 4x4 a few hundred km back to a mechanic with a laptop or rather the other way round, is not worth the kitch of a late model. An old Toyota that you can push start or syphon fuel from a 20 litre drum without some touch screen saying all hope is lost.
The new outboard motors are causing havoc in remote area too because a tiny drop of water in the fuel & you need to ship the lot hundres of kilometres to a laptop with an outboard mechanic. Technology is great but not that great if it can't be fixed on the spot.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 6:30:43 PM
Hi there INDIVIDUAL...

I agree with you totally INDIVIDUAL. I feel much more at home in a M/V that I can (personally) diagnose every noise, crunch, grind or squeak, under the bonnet, rather than relying on a powerful computer in order to rectify whatever ails the vehicle. Though many of the younger generation wouldn't agree, purely because they like the advanced technology guiding them (or should I say 'protecting them') in every way. Many consider that feature is all part of the original purchase package I suspect ?

To be quite honest the new vehicle is more for my wife's benefit then mine. She's quite technologically advanced, in fact far beyond myself to be truthful. She can sit in this new car and within a couple of minutes fathom exactly what's what. Whereas, I'm not even bold enough to start it yet, until she's with me ? Did I hear you infer that I must be awfully stupid, you'd be quite correct I'll readily admit it INDIVIDUAL ? When I get used to it I'll be OK, until then, it's a case of hasten slowly ?

Thank you ol' mate for your contribution.
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 27 May 2014 10:11:15 PM
o sung wu,
Nothing was further from my mind than to infer that you were wrong in investing in a bell & whistles car. If I were to live in so-called civilisation I'd probably have one also because & let's face it, they are fantastic, in fact almost unbeliveable now. However as I hang around swamps & gulleys & creeks I could not handle one of the new ones, way too difficult to deal with. I recall seeing a Unimog once stuck in the river crossing & a battered old Nissan Patrol had to pull him out & 40 miles down the road to a shipping agent & transport it back to Cairns from Cape York because no-one could fix. For the cost of shipping the Unimog you could have purchased a couple of very good 4x4's.
I'm longing for the day when they bring out a car that refuses to start when a drunk or poor mentality person gets into the driver's seat. The public transport system would need to be upgraded quick-smart.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 28 May 2014 6:34:15 AM
Hi there SUSEONLINE...

Thinking back to what you said apropos taking two days to read your new car manual - Similarly, the only book that has more pages than our new car manual is the Encyclopedia Britannica ! To be very fair though, despite it's immense size, it is quite easy to understand with the various diagrams appropriately highlighted etc. Unlike our Dyson 'mickey mouse' vacuum cleaner, no descriptive assistance provided only diagrams, go figure ? Perhaps the Dyson organisation has this absurd belief that we Aussies can't read, how puerile ?

G'day there INDIVIDUAL...

By the description of where you live old boy, perhaps your moniker should be 'Crocodile Dundee' ? Hanging around, swamps and gullies and swollen creeks, I hope you're well armed in that sort of topography LOL ! I have this security blanket of concrete, bitumen, and asphalt and high rise buildings, the closest thing I get to the wild is our Labrador and Kelpie dogs ! I was attached to Queanbeyan for awhile, and being only 15kms from Canberra, I still thought we should patrol in 4x4's ? I'm very much a city person even though I was in the Army, it's the city for me I'm afraid. Though I must admit country life is much healthier for you I reckon, I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me eh INDIVIDUAL ?

And I fully understand where you're coming from when you articulated your own choice in M/V's, INDIVIDUAL. The days when we Aussie blokes would spend a Saturday 'arvo' working on our cars, are rapidly fading I'm afraid, with all the advanced technology fitted into the newer models.

** BELLY, PLEASE RETURN TO OLO, WE ALL MISS YOU **
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 28 May 2014 2:07:29 PM
Yes I can agree o sung, these owners manuals are getting ridiculous these days. 25 pages of how operate the car & it's controls, & 150 of safety warnings.

I am still to read a couple of mine, but the one with the mower is not much better. They are so badly written that I am never likely to finish them. This is unlike that other book[s] you mention, the Encyclopedia Britannica.

We had a lot of garage sales in the islands. People who had finished their 2 year contract, or a couple of repeats of that, usually had gathered too much stuff to take it all "home" with them when they left. I found a complete 1972 set of Britannica in Honiara [Solomons] at such a sale, on one of my visits.

All 19 volumes, & a few extras were a bit hard to store on the yacht, so I took just a few, storing the rest in a locker at the yacht club, picking up a few each visit. I found glancing through them was messy, so I started at Aalto, Alvar, the first entry, & read to the last. It took a year or 2, when I often had not much entertainment on offer at night, & I thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

I was like a walking Readers Digest, full of mostly useless trivia. I'll bet not many others have read an Encyclopedia cover to cover. Of course there was quite a lot less knowledge even as recently as 1972. Imagine trying to read everything on the net.

I hated disposing of them, but they rather filled the boat. No one wanted them, I could not even give them away, & they are useless on a barbeque, they just don't burn well. AS I finished then I'm afraid I consigned them to the deep, [they do sink you know], mostly in the Solomon sea.

I felt dreadful doing it, they were such good quality, but needs must.

I wonder if they are still printed, or has the net destroyed them?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 28 May 2014 4:07:58 PM
G'day there HASBEEN...

That is a real shame, consigning a full set of E.Britannica to the deep ? Still, there'll be a vast number of very knowledgeable sea creatures, swimming around with a much greater appreciation of the world as a whole.

As I've said on previous occasions, you've led an amazing life there HASBEEN ? Sailing your own craft on unchartered seas, without the aid of any other individual to keep you straight and on course ! Truly astonishing in my opinion ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 28 May 2014 5:32:02 PM
On cars where engines stop when the car stops; this was common practice over 100 years ago, nice to see that some manufacturers are catching up!!
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 29 May 2014 9:57:12 AM
Hi there IS MISE...

I wasn't aware of that, at a time when the internal combustion engine was still in it's infancy ? If turning the engine off on each occasion the vehicle needed to stop, was a concept introduced way back then. I wonder therefore if they'll re-introduce that other quaint practice of a man with a red flag walking in front of the car whenever it needs to proceed ?

It's my understanding IS MISE, that this practice was introduced by the City Father's to ensure Society ladies of impeccable breeding, together with children and of course horses, were not unnecessarily alarmed by the presence of this noisy, smoke belching, new fangled automobile ?

Perhaps there may well be an unintended benefit of having someone waving a red flag whilst leading a string of cars ? At least it'll calm and slow the traffic a bit ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 29 May 2014 4:43:03 PM
How did they restart them Is Mise. The electric starter was invented I believe in 1911, but in those days was only fitted to very upmarket vehicles. Most were still started with a crank handle for a decade or more.

They most certainly did not have fuel injection to squirt fuel mist into a hot cylinder, nor a computer to tell it which cylinder to charge.

While our 1928 Chev, & the 1930 Dodge were both inclined to have the engine stop when motion stopped, this was more in the nature of stalling, & was a most undesirable habit.

That Chev was real comedy. It would start easily when dad cranked it, then stop, just before he got to the accelerator. This could go on for quite a while. It was most unwise to let my mother near anything mechanical, so I became the accelerator pusher. It now became my fault if the thing stopped before he got to the seat.

In self preservation I learnt what the 2 leavers on the steering boss did. Using the hand throttle & the spark advance/retard made all the difference, but dad never really mastered them. If they had not had them in the light horse, he didn't approve.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 29 May 2014 6:31:11 PM
Gentlemen,

100 years ago steam and electric cars were common and in 99% of them
the engine/motor(s) was stopped when the car was stopped.
Most steam vehicles had no gearboxes and were direct drive as the reciprocating steam engine develops maximum torque at zero revolutions.
To stop a steamer all that is necessary (most times) is to shut the regulator (throttle) and on steep descents speed is regulated by shifting the valves to reverse and opening the regulator to go slower as the steam pressure provides braking.

On well made petrol cars, particularly those having six or more cylinders it was possible to restart by the spark advance/retard lever.
Some cars of the time were fitted with air starters; either an air starter motor or an air distributor that fed pressurized air to the cylinders.
Steam cars are a joy to drive and modern automatics are approaching the best of them for ease of driving
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 30 May 2014 12:03:39 AM
Hi there IS MISE & HASBEEN...

Thank you very much IS MISE, for enlightening us both on the benefits of steam and early, petrol powered automobiles ! I must admit, something in 'steam' sounds just the ticket for an adventurous or 'daring-do' old fart like me ! No hard to understand technology, no fancy dials or other contraptions to interfere with a nice Sunday afternoon run in the country. Just the gentle, soothing sound of escaping steam, as we meander quietly through the countryside in our steam driven convertible ?

What do you think eh HASBEEN ? You'd probably go for the sports version, in a steam car ? Something really gutsy...like nought to sixty in say, half an hour ? Now that's pushing it !

Thanks again IS MISE.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 30 May 2014 8:22:42 PM
It's true they'd start engines by firing one cylinder back years ago, but I only thought they did it in planes. I remember seeing charges like 2 shotgun shells to start the old B17 bombers. It was also taught to me when I was a lad living in the sticks of North Western Australia when they were building the gas pipe lines; if your battery went flat you could start any old petrol engine by taking out a plug on the correct cylinder, wetting the plug with petrol, place it back and cause it to fire by cranking the engine by the back wheels when raised off the ground with the tire lever.

I'm amazed it took them till now to make it happen automatically as in the Euro cars.

Oh and steam cars such as the Stanley Steamer and Doble cut the fuel to the burner when you stop as they had mono tube steam generators which produced flash steam which is quite different than a loco with an actual boiler. Once you cut off the flame there's no more steam produced.

The 1925 Doble. What a gorgeous car :~)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo
Posted by RawMustard, Friday, 30 May 2014 9:52:29 PM
Thank you RAWMUSTARD for your informative contribution and the interesting link. Ah the old 'Stanley Steamer', now that sounds to be the almost perfect vehicle for me ? Without any of these modern implements and gauges destined to confuse us old folks ?
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 30 May 2014 10:46:11 PM
Hi there o sung wu. All this bulldust is to create more efficient ICE (internal combustion engines) engines.
In my honest opinion, I think they're all full of it. And they won't change much until some young bloke like o sung wu twists their arms round and back up their spineless backs :~). There are much better ways of reducing a ICE engines fuel usage but they won't release it for years to come. Think of all the ancillary devices driven off the power of the engine now. Water pump(Huge waste, could be electric), Alternator(Not needed), Aircon(Could be electric), Oil pump(Could be electric), Power Steering(Could be electric), Cam shafts, valves (Could be electric). The water pump alone uses around 8 horse power, what a waste!

70% to 75% of an ICE engines fuel gets thrown out the exhaust in the form of heat and pressure. A turbo can be used to capture some of this waste but they could capture a whole truck load more than simply using some stupid computer to stop your engine in traffic when you stop.

None of the things they are doing today are new, they've been around for over 50 years, it's just they don't release them till they think they need to, to be competitive. Remember the cars released today were in development over ten years ago!

I laugh at all the greenies driving their gay Prius's what a complete waste of time and energy, only a complete dill would ever by one!
I shake my head at the car companies throwing money at these techs, when they damn well know it's a complete joke. But hey, the free sh!t soldiers will by them if nanny says so!
Posted by RawMustard, Friday, 30 May 2014 11:19:17 PM
Without further comment!!

"Land Speed Record
In August 2009, the British Steam Car, driven by Charles Burnett III, smashed a record that had stood for a century: the land-speed record for a steam-powered car. Burnett drove his vehicle on a track at Edwards Air Force Base at an average of 139.843 mph, breaking a record set in 1906 by Fred Marriott, who drove his Stanley Steamer Rocket at 127.659 mph."
http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1934740_1981016,00.html
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 31 May 2014 12:35:18 AM
Hi, Is Mise. There's a bloke by the name of Chuck Williams trying for the record this year. He was going to run this engine from cyclone technologies,( http://www.cyclonepower.com/works.html ) but opted out and is now running some converted outboard motor which he built for a steam powered dragstar.
http://www.steamspeedamerica.com/

It's interesting that they're running a piston based engine rather than a turbine. A turbine would give more power for less weight. I read somewhere some guy ran a 5 inch turbine at one time but couldn't get a transmission to take the power. they had to push the car to a certain speed before opening up the steam to the turbine.

Anyway, steam is certainly interesting but I don't think it will ever be used in a normal car again. It's too inefficient to begin with although the ability to run multiple fuels is attractive :~)
Posted by RawMustard, Saturday, 31 May 2014 2:47:20 PM
ok forums up
how did the mandatory long run go?

anyhow enviouis a lottle bit..but i got my own bmw in the shed[1984]
it/just feels good knowing i bought one for 2000..i also love my bedford [1938/cable tiptray...via pto]200 bucks/who could resist/i miss my capries[14 of them overtime..which recalls to mind the fiat dalphine..and the lime green suzuki 3 cyclender vegie delivery van..or even the volvos/which recalls the two door v8..gold tank tank/classic[i traded for my kwa 9/thatbuilt up from spare parts for my 500/4..that i traded for my cb350

kka i ka 9
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 31 May 2014 5:10:05 PM
Hi there ONE UNDER GOD...

You're a bit of a dark horse with your assemblage of fine cars and vintage trucks ? Obviously you have a fine taste for cars and bikes per se ? Did you ever race them by chance, similar to HASBEEN in the past ? Anyway, your admissions concerning your proclivity for fine automobiles Johan, provides yet another clue to your otherwise impenetrable personality and complex persona ?

Thank you and we'll no doubt speak again soon, until then take care.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 31 May 2014 9:53:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy