The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do you think that Australian Troops should not be sent to Iraq?

Do you think that Australian Troops should not be sent to Iraq?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
i am doing a survey and i would like to know
- do you think that Australian Troops should be sent off to fight in iraq?
Posted by EzZ, Thursday, 17 May 2007 10:25:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes its a good cause.
Posted by EasyTimes, Thursday, 17 May 2007 12:38:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
good for whom?
Posted by DEMOS, Thursday, 17 May 2007 7:48:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why would you want to do a survey on a site like this? This site is hardly a real representation of the Australian people. Anyway there's been lots of surveys taken and a majority of people are against our soldiers being in Iraq. It's a no brainer. After all these years there still isn't a single argument which has been advanced which has convinced most people that any good will come from our involvement in Iraq.
Posted by Peppy, Thursday, 17 May 2007 9:33:41 PM
When we pull totally out of Iraq then either the Sunnis or Shiites will take control. The Sunnis who are less fundamentalist and not so aligned with Iran would be a better outcome for the West. But for the West to take sides in a civil war would mean all out war until the desired side wins and I dont think people in the West want to be involved in an all out war. I think they prefer the take no sides keep the peace involvement that is going on at the moment.

If the Iraq peacekeeper force they are presently training
splits up into tribal factions when the WEst leaves then civil war is inevitable and they may as well choose sides or pull out.
Posted by sharkfin, Friday, 18 May 2007 12:30:29 AM
Yes your survey is as handy as an ash tray on a Harley.
But can not let that rubbish its a good cause go.
Iraq will be run by a dictator probably that mad and evil bloke who is behind most of the murder now.
Is it spelled Mardi?
America will make movies about how they won and the mad gentleman in the white house will be remembered forever as a failure.
Oh thats a do not send in case its not clear.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 18 May 2007 7:36:33 AM
NO NO NO
Posted by alanpoi, Friday, 18 May 2007 10:14:59 AM
Everyone regrets ever going near Iraq and I doubt if you could find anyone who is happy to be there. Saddam might have been not so nice to the Shiites but he kept the lid on the place and neutralised Iran. It is a pity he was overthrown and executed. (OUR FIRST MISTAKE)
Unfortunately to leave Iraq now would invite more problems than we already have. I think we need to stay until the place is stabilised. I don’t think the place is worth one Australian, American or English life.
The Iraqis are adept at killing each other and could be left to get on with it but where is that going to take us with the area destabilised and the Ayatollahs and Mullahs in power and crying for revenge.
Posted by SILLE, Friday, 18 May 2007 10:41:31 AM
Not without the support from the public.I would like to write to Australian soldiers deployed in the war zone,But can get no reply when I ask how I can get names and addresses.I think the people sent to Iraq and any war zone should be able to get hand written letters from strangers so they know they have our support even if we don;t agree with them being sent there.I don't think our soldiers should be there but now they are they need our moral support.I write to USA soldiers and the feed back from them is wonderful.We need to be able to support our troops.Perhaps there wouldn't be so many suicides if they could receive mail while in the war zones from people they don't know.They must be thinking will their return be like the troops greeting when they came back from Vietnam? I personally hope that shame is never to be repeated.No our troops shouldn't be their but if they have to be their,Lets show our support for them.
Posted by charlee, Friday, 18 May 2007 11:25:21 AM
To easy times
A good cause huh, pray tell for whom.
The 4 million Iraqi refugees in neighbouring countries,
the half to one million dead Iraqis,
the 3500 dead Americans and English soldiers,
the tens of thousands of soldiers,
the probably millions of Iraqis injured,
the millions of Iraqis whose homes and livelyhoods are destroyed,
the fact that a functioning country (admittedly not worlds best practice but no different from a lot in the Middle East and Africa) is now totally disfunctional.
A war that won't stop till the Yanks leave, followed by a civil war, then the last warlord standing will become a dictator, just like Saddam, and hey presto we are back where we started, and thats a good cause! yeah right.
Posted by alanpoi, Friday, 18 May 2007 12:34:27 PM
Should be "the tens thousands of soldiers injured"
Posted by alanpoi, Friday, 18 May 2007 12:37:03 PM
We went to war in Iraq for reasons other than non-existent WMDs. Two of those reasons are (1) we want to do business with the United States and, to do that, we need to be mates with the US and (2) we have isolated ourselves from the UK and Europe so we can no longer rely on their military support should we ever need it. We need to be mates with the US again - hence certain "bases" on Australian soil and the need to support them in their stupidity.
Australia did not want to go to war but the ALP would have sent us just as surely as the Coalition and they will not pull us out any faster than the Coalition. The bottom line is we cannot afford not to support the US.
The idea that "we must become part of the Asian region" is therefore shown for what it is - nonsense. They do not want us to be part of the region - doing business is fine - be neighbourly but don't expect to be family.
Posted by Communicat, Friday, 18 May 2007 3:43:39 PM
7 million Kurds are no longer living under a madmans gun.
As Peter Garret once sung 'Its better to live on your knees than die on your feet'.
Answer- probably not, then at least we could ignore one more area on the globe where insanity rules.
Its been a while since there has been debate on our responsibilities re our commitment with the UN regarding Genocide.
Posted by palimpsest, Friday, 18 May 2007 8:16:55 PM
No.

Good cause?.
Posted by StG, Saturday, 19 May 2007 10:54:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy