The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Same sex marriage

Same sex marriage

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Foxy, I imagine any Priest who married did not have a history of pedophilia or homosexuality.
Posted by Josephus, Monday, 16 December 2013 6:23:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Foxy, I imagine any Priest who married did not have a history of pedophilia<<

I wouldn't be sure about. I'm sure someone who knows as much about pedophilia as you claim to is aware that children are much more likely to be sexually abused by their parents than by unrelated strangers like Catholic Priests.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Monday, 16 December 2013 8:03:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Josephus,

"Love and marriage," is an old popular song that
tells us, "go together like a horse and carriage."
A compelling assumption in our society is that
everyone will fall in love, will marry, and will have
an emotionally satisfying lifetime relationship
with the chosen partner.

It is probably true that most people will fall in love at
some point, it is certainly true that many will
marry, but it is also true that a great many will
find that married life falls below their expectations.
(For whatever reasons).
To find out what can go wrong and why, we need to
look in more detail at family patterns and at
romantic love, courtship, marriage, and marital breakdown
and divorce. All complex issues - for all of us,
including married clergy.

As for pedophilia and homosexuality? I don't understand the
point that you're trying to make with those separate issues.
Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 16 December 2013 9:47:03 PM
Tony Lavis, "children are much more likely to be sexually abused by their parents than by unrelated strangers"

Wrong. See here,

<Key message: From the evidence available, it is clear that with the exception of child sexual abuse, children are most likely to be abused or neglected by parents and/or caregivers.

Key message: Contrary to other types of abuse, research suggests that a far greater number of child sexual abuse offences are perpetrated by adults who are not in a caregiver role>

From, Who abuses children? By Alister Lamont. Published by the Australian Institute of Family Studies, February 2011
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 2:01:34 AM
Foxy, I was referring to married Priests I believe do not have a history of sexually abusing boys or preferring sex with males.
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 6:11:21 AM
Also from Lamont's resource sheet...

"Findings from the ABS Personal Safety Survey (2005) indicated that for participants who had experienced sexual abuse before the age of 15, only 13.5% identified that the abuse came from their father/stepfather, 30.2% was perpetrated by other male relative, 16.9% by family friend, 15.6% by acquaintance/neighbour and 15.3% by other known person (ABS, 2005)."

The key message should more accurately read: Consistant with other types of abuse, research suggests that a far greater number of child sexual abuse offences are perpetrated by immediate family or family friend, 60.6%.

It should be noted that the report types are only of the number of participants, not the number of sexual abuse incidents experienced within each category. The opportunity for incidences of sexual abuse to be perpetrated by a father/stepfather, other male relative or family friend would further - very significantly in my opinion - increase the number of offences.

It should also be noted that all of this is in the legal context of the only form of marriage being heterosexual.
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 17 December 2013 7:33:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy