The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Small Nations Forum

Small Nations Forum

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
New Zealand has 4.5 million inhabitants,
Pericles,
Take a step back & consider the difference that makes all the difference in a country. That difference is inhabitants vs contributing inhabitants. Just take a look at Australia where the public sector is almost half the country's workforce which is largely an unproductive non-contributing number of inhabitants of this country yet they gobble up the more of our combined funding than the rest. It's not an economic model to build a nation rather to ruin one as we have experienced in the past 40 years since the big Goaf..
Posted by individual, Monday, 11 November 2013 7:06:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indi,
People living in the country already make a lot less money than people in the city, have a lower standard of living, fewer services etc, how hard would it be to convince them to secede and move to a small nation if it meant even a marginal increase in their overall standard of living? If you were living on $15,000 a year in Centrelink benefits in Shepparton or Dubbo with limited future prospects and my nation could offer you a wage of $25,000 a year and a cheap, Green/post hydrocarbon lifestyle would you move?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 11 November 2013 7:45:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People living in the country already make a lot less money than people in the city, have a lower standard of living,
Jay of Melbourne,
Well, yes & no. The public servants posted to country areas make above double the average wage whereas the local constituents are doing it tough.
People are sick to death of people moving into their area & start dictating for the sake of money. Many people nowadays move away from money & choose lifestyle instead. Invaders looking for money are a guarantee that this lifestyle is under threat. People looking for money are destroying the social fabric of small towns. Much better to offer the locals more money & keep the money seekers away, after all, most of them have thus far proven to be of no value whatsoever.
Posted by individual, Monday, 11 November 2013 8:37:01 PM
Jay I think in Indi's case you should make an acceptation and pay the moving costs. What about moving to Hutt River Provence on the west coast of the continent

http://www.hutt-river-province.com/

a bit close.

Jay, Tasmania and or the South Island of NZ are also a bit close to the rest of us. What about you and Indi form the advanced settlers party for the new nation on Macquarie Island. You can both be gainfully employed feeding the penguins. You could soon be joined by a few of the other "like minded" posters from OLO, SPQR for one. Think of it, you'll each have your own rock to hide under, I mean that in a nice way, a bit stormy in winter, and I don't think the penguins will take you in, so a rock is the next best thing.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 12 November 2013 6:18:47 AM
I'd be interested to know where you get your "facts" from, individual.

>>New Zealand has 4.5 million inhabitants, Pericles, Take a step back & consider the difference that makes all the difference in a country. That difference is inhabitants vs contributing inhabitants.Just take a look at Australia where the public sector is almost half the country's workforce<<

Half? I don't think so. Try 16%.

Here are the two sources you need to work it out from yourself:

This one adds up Federal, State and Local government employees:

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6248.0.55.002Main+Features12011-12?OpenDocument

This one shows the total workforce:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

What sources back up your numbers?

I'd also be very surprised if New Zealand showed a markedly different pattern. But please, go ahead and show that I am wrong. Only please, use real numbers.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 12 November 2013 10:05:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy