The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Fukushima, Japan needs immediate help.

Fukushima, Japan needs immediate help.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Correction,
I wrote;
"The initial Fukuyama problem was caused by a hydrogen explosion in a high pressure light water reactor due to a cooling water explosion. Provided the fuel rods are kept cool, preferably under water, there is no prospect of a meltdown".

The 'a cooling water explosion' comment should have been "moderator/cooling water decomposition".

When the zirconium tubes, which contained the lightly enriched mix of uranium oxide fuel pellets, become overheated due to water shortage they react with overheated water to produce hydrogen and oxygen. They can recombine explosively.

This type of reactor operates at very high pressure (up to 160 atmospheres). The USA submarine fleet use such reactors and have operated safely for 5400 reactor years.
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 23 September 2013 11:07:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The IAEA estimate of the fatalities from Chernobyl were less than 100. Fukashima had 3 reactors melt down and produced about 1/10th the radiation of Chernobyl.

The 1 in 1000 yr Tsunami killed about 30 000 people, and yet from Fukashima, no one yet has died from radiation.

Why would reactor 4 (if it should melt down) produce 80 times the radiation of 1,2,and 3 together when they melted down?

This is pure Bulldung
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 23 September 2013 11:40:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Out of every reply it is yours Paul I feel the need to answer.
Are you questioning my claim known poor design and construction played a big roll in the Japan event?
That the Russian one too was never safe from doing just what did?
I happen to think Nuclear energy is the cleanest way to mass produce power we currently know of.
Now the harsh truth.
Maybe Paul I am wrong, in part I may well be, but I truly and honestly think.
Greens and the very best conservations, have by crying wolf earned the publics distrust in any if not all issues they get involved in.
I recommend you read the story behind an ex green piece activist who has swapped sides.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 September 2013 3:05:09 PM
I recommend you all do some research from this site http://fairewinds.org/ Arnie Gunderson has been decommissioning nuke reactors for 30yrs and he says TEPCO are embarking on a really dangerous exercise.

IAEA have a vested interest in keeping nuke energy going. The waste from nuke energy is refined for the weapons industry and the USA has been using Depleted Uranium in its wars of imperialism.

Dr Helen Cauldicott has evidence that over 1 million people have died of cancers from Chernobyl. The nuke industry would not want the truth to emerge and will down play the dangers of Fukushima to the bitter end.

As George Carlin said believe nothing your Govt tells you. They are all compulsive liars and even more so when controlled by big corporate interests.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 23 September 2013 6:34:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,
The Fukuyama disaster was man made in that the reactors were built behind sea (bund) walls that were far too low for a country on the "Rim of Fire". Also a catalyst, recommended to minimize the risk of an hydrogen explosion, was not included.

If you have any evidence of Helen Caldicott's view why haven't you provided a reference? She makes some extraordinary claims about cell damage when other people have noted that every cell in our body repairs damage about once per second.

Caldicott has claimed that one radioactive dust particle can cause cancer yet statistically, while we are all subject to about 2mSv of radiation per year from natural causes, there is no increased incidence of cancer at 10mSv per annum and for the atom bomb survivors no increased incidence at 100mSv.
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 23 September 2013 9:13:26 PM
Foyle none of us are the font of all wisdom but it pays to have an open mind.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/new-book-concludes-chernobyl-death-toll-985-000-mostly-from-cancer-/20908 Prof Karl Grossman previews a book by 3 eminent Russian scientists. Chenrobyl; 'Consequences of the Castastrophe for the People and Environment'.

In this era of lies about the GFC, climate change, Western wars of imperialism etc, it pays to have an open mind.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 23 September 2013 10:00:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy