The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bugs Rabbott or Elmer Wudd?

Bugs Rabbott or Elmer Wudd?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
No party has a monopoly on good policy or ideas. All parties have really, really dumb ones.

We have just had three years of minority government where the minority government had a minority. As a consequence they had to haggle and compromise. In spite of this like it or not, a lot was achieved. During this time Elmer Wudd was meddling in the background and Bugs Rabbott displayed the inability to negotiate with the equal power his party had to effectively influence policy.

If the polls are to be believed we are looking at another minority government but this time with majority control. As a consequence there will be no haggling or compromise. The bad ideas will be implemented with the good.

We see examples of this phenomenon in Queensland where Mini-Me Newman controls over 80% of the parliament yet less than 50% of Queensland voted for his party.

It is my opinion that the best result this Saturday would be another hung parliament, Elmer Wudd loses his seat and Turnbull returns to the leadership of the LNP.

I would like to see Australia move to a proportional system where for better or worse the Australian people get the politicians for whom they vote.
Posted by Producer, Monday, 2 September 2013 6:46:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Producer, I was genuinely astonished at the naivety of half of the electorate when Gillard formed a minority government. I was astonished that after the first disastrous three years of this Labor government many imbecile voters still believed what came out of Labor’s mouths had validity.

On a track record of failure and 180 degree turn arounds almost half the electorate happily lampooned the opposition leader for “his” supposedly misogynistic views totally unaware of the record debt being amassed in record time by so totally evident self serving liars.

Forget about a proportional system…..introduce non compulsory voting......and why not…..nothing else in politics is compulsory:

Political credibility, not compulsory.
Truth, not compulsory.
Economic competence, not compulsory.
Effective policy implementation, not compulsory.
Constituents over dogma, not compulsory.
National border sovereignty, not compulsory.

The issue is not with the bastard pollies on either sides of the fence, it is the imbecile voters and the Canberra press gallery who did not "continually" inform the nation of the level of debt or the level of incompetence from this Labor team.

I vividly recall that the Howard Government was front page news over “ children overboard” for a month….nobody perished and they ran it for a month.

They drown like kittens a few meters off Christmas Island and they run it for a coulple of days. Then revert to Abbott bashing.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:13:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sonofgloin – A proportional system would have delivered Labour 57, Coalition 65, Greens 18, Other’s 10 at the last election.

Clearly democracy also is not compulsory.

Perhaps it is the system not the voters that is imbecilic?

You must admit there is a large proportion (18.6%) of voters that are not represented or are underrepresented.

Irrespective of your or anyone else’s opinion, the 18.6% have as much right to be represented in this country’s parliament?

I have more faith in my fellow voter’s than I have in Wudd or the Rabbott and their respective franchises.

Hang them this Saturday.
Posted by Producer, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 8:52:19 PM
Dear Producer,

Great post !

It only takes 10-15 minutes every 3 years ,to use the preferential system and number on the Senate ballot paper the 110 candidates below the line .
Not a big ask compared to having half one's face or testicles blown-off in Afghanistan.

By doing this , you can send the only message to the major parties, that they respect .

Every major problem we face from housing, university funding, child neglect, jails, environment, manufacturing collapse, casualization of the workforce, selling public assets, massive public/private borrowings, traffic chaos, growing poverty, social security blow-outs.....(.very happy to dialogue the back stories on all this)...is made catastrophically worse by one design blunder..................POPULATION GROWTH .

By preferencing the Stable Population Party first, then your major party second ( after that, just do the numbering because it won't matter ), we have a chance to turn the place around.

The positive message is that we have designed the mess in, so we can design it out .

Very best Producer ,

Ralph
Posted by Ralph Bennett, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 11:10:32 PM
Producer

We can't do much about gerrymanders but to be really fair we should also abolish the preferential system, where your vote gets passed on to somebody you didn't vote for.

sonofgloin,

The outcome of the last parliament was not the result of the voters, it was the abject failure of Tony Abbott to win the confidence of a few independents.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 4:09:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy