The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bill Heffernan must go

Bill Heffernan must go

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Senator Bill Heffernan has verbally abused a number of women over the years both in his political party and now Julia Gillard.

There is absolutely NO excuse for same.

Either Mr Howard sacks him or Mr Howard is equally culpable

Or would Mr Howard accept a Labor MP saying anything similar about Minister Julie Bishop? Of course he never would.

The government runs TV ads against physical AND verbal violence against women.

They have a chance in their own back yard to put up.
Posted by Ange, Thursday, 3 May 2007 5:15:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would be a good idea for Ms Gillard to go to. It wasn't to long ago that she was a staunch supporter of Mr Latham. I did not hear her speaking up when Mr Latham would let fly with many of his outbursts.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 May 2007 6:04:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's true that Julia has a touch of the Mark Lathams about her and can sometimes put her foot in her mouth, but Heffernan should get back in his Time Machine and go back to the 14th Century where he belongs.
Posted by Peppy, Thursday, 3 May 2007 6:45:23 PM
What seems to have been missed in this debate is the element of truth in the comments - pollies on large incomes and perk packages are unlikely to relate well to average families. Now lets have a few more pollies focussing on that rather than the number of children someone has.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 3 May 2007 6:59:23 PM
I would have thought that not having children in her position would be an asset, allowing her to devote the necessary time to her job.
Posted by Country Gal, Thursday, 3 May 2007 8:43:29 PM
Bill is a dill.The Coalition had Julia Gillard on the ropes and Bill rings the bell before the end of the round throwing her refreshments and a reprieve.

Stupidity and poor judgement seems to be a political disease at the moment.Ego seems to get the better of most of us,especially those who hold the reigns of power too long.What must they be saying in private?
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 3 May 2007 10:37:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed Country Gal.

Yes Arjay, Bill is indeed a dill, to put it very mildly.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 3 May 2007 10:44:37 PM
So if barren women can't be leaders, what about impotent men? Should all male Pollies have to prove their virility before they can run for Parliament? Maybe they should have the Pollies prove that they can 'get it up' live on TV during Parliament question time.

"Mr. Speaker,
The Right Honourable Member's small member doesn't seem to work."
Posted by Peppy, Thursday, 3 May 2007 10:49:12 PM
Bill Heffernan is the Sheikh Hilali of the Liberal Party.

QED :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 3 May 2007 10:59:42 PM
Heffernan has always been a disgusting oik and embarrassment to the Coalition. He has been allowed to do and say as he wants in the past, and he will be allowed to do so in the future. As I have said many times, John Howard is a spineless pansy whom the rough, menacing Heffernan probably cowed many years ago.

I don't like Gillard or her party, but to call any woman 'barren' is just plain unforgivable. It is deliberately insulting, hurtful and vicious.

But that sums up Heffernan to a tee.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 4 May 2007 9:43:19 AM
I FEEL STRONGLY THAT BILL HEFFERNAN MUST AND SHOULD STAY. HE IS NOT AFRAID TO TELL IT HOW IT IS AND GET SOME OF THE COTTON WOOL OUT OF THE AIR.

He may not be always right but he can enliven the debate and hopefully someone is then able to make an informed decision. The whole structure of parliament and society is being ruptured by well meaning but totally oblivious civil libertarians and do gooders. We have too many so-called politicians who avoid the issue through being afraid to walk on a few eggshells.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BILL AND DON’T BE AFRAID TO STEP ON A FEW EGGSHELLS IF IT HELPS TO CLARIFY AN ISSUE.
Posted by SILLE, Friday, 4 May 2007 10:34:07 AM
SILLE, I dont think Heffernan should go, or even apologise. I just dont agree with his logic. Politicians put in very long hours while Parliament is sitting, and is not conducive to good family relationships, particularly when you can generally assume that a woman would take on the primary care role for any kids (whilst this doesnt have to be the case, it usually is). If Gillard feels that she makes a better contribution to society by being at work rather than having kids, then so be it. I dont necessarily like her or agree with her choice, but thats her choice.

Heffernan also has the right to make the comment (and by the way, he said DELIBERATELY BARREN, which is quite different to just barren). Pollies (and anyone) should be able to make comments that arent politically correct, but they should also be prepared to wear any public opinion backlash as a result. Heffernan is usually prepared to wear it - so be it.
Posted by Country Gal, Friday, 4 May 2007 11:03:34 AM
To ANGE, first post.

Australia is a very abusive society, as you would well know.

And too Labor is an expert at it. Any attempts by Labor to try and ethicise government and societal behaviour will result in a dictatorship. And we all know what that does for womens so-called 'rights'.
Posted by Gadget, Friday, 4 May 2007 11:19:56 AM
A good example of totalitarian thinking towards people who think differently and worse those who think differently and are silly enough to speak out.

Doubtless many voters muttered similar thoughts, bad taste, senseless, vicious, yes to each but why sackable ?

Particularly calls to sack him for bad taste come from within part of society where privilige is claimed, surrounded by a society which aims for, or purports to favour, freedom of speech... Or is freedom of speech just a rhetorical exercise, not a principle.
Posted by polpak, Friday, 4 May 2007 11:24:03 AM
Bill Heffernan is an idiot, to put it mildly, and clearly doesn't have the polish of most politicians.

That being said, I'm definitely not among those calling for his sacking, or even demanding he apologise.

What he said may have been stupid and offensive, but his apology clearly isn't heartfelt - all putting pressure on him in this manner does is make politicians less likely to express their true throughts. Better the devil you know than the one you don't - it's up to people in his electorate to boot him out at the next election, and that's easier when you know the true colours of each candidate, rather than the polished image they've been conditioned to present.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 4 May 2007 12:11:57 PM
Heffernan is indeed a dill, but as mentioned, he's usually willing to wear the backlash, so why not then?

There are plenty of mud-slingers within the ALP (past and present members), so I don't see what the fuss is about.

As to what he said, I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, as mentioned, maybe it is better that a politician doesn't have a family so he or she can be singularly focussed. On the other hand, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone in society who chooses not to have children.

Likewise, on the one hand, I don't think it's anyone's business what Gillard does or doesn't do with the rest of her life. On the other hand, politicians are assessed very much on their character or other things not directly related to the outcomes of their jobs because such things are considered an influence on their politics. So why pick and choose which areas are off-limits in this respect? Some politicians want to present themselves as the average family person, so why not the opposite then? If we're going to accept someone because he or she has a spouse and kids, then why can't we not accept someone because of not having such things?

The whole thing smacks of a lot of political correctness to me.
Posted by shorbe, Friday, 4 May 2007 12:17:10 PM
The problem is Hefernan has form.

Censured by the Senate for saying Justice Kirby used a comcar to trawl for rough trade and infering he was a pedophile.

John Hewson said that "Howard has used Heffernan to distribute dirt and to run his agenda against individuals for almost as long as I have known him".

His fight with Fiona Nash at Canberra Airport.

His role in the John Brogden tradgedy where he is reported to have said "he was the Prime Minister's right hand man, and did his 'dirty work'.

Investigated by police for stealing Green how to vote cards and shouting "If you want to decriminalise drugs for your children, vote Green." at a polling booth.

Howard has always played the statesman and gets others do do his dirty work.

Hefernan should not resign he should stay and remind us all why the Liberal Party must be defeated at the next election.
Posted by ruawake, Friday, 4 May 2007 3:43:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was Julia Gilligan Gillard who stated that very concept at the last Federal election; and it was applied and directed at ; Bugger, the Greek sir name ; Pam ………?

But Julia Gilligan Gillard should be made leader of the Labour Minnow ship wreck;

Skipper Dud Rudd and Giligan hay ,
International embarrassment and lower than a snakes bottom. Fairdinkum.
God have mercy on us.
Posted by All-, Friday, 4 May 2007 6:21:05 PM
I certainly don't think he should go. I don't agree with
his opinion, but I accept his right to express it. People
can then judge him as they please.

Julia is a big girl now and in the rough and tumble of
politics. Think back at the things that Keating used
to throw at people in parliament. Hey its a dirty
game! Julia knows that. If you are thin skinned, don't
enter politics.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 4 May 2007 8:45:41 PM
Bill Heffernan simply stated an opinion a lot of us hold to be true. The Prime Minister of this country should be a typically well-rounded individual with a family and all the responsibility that goes with a family. He described Julia Gillard as “deliberately barren”, meaning she had made a choice to be single and had chosen not to accept the responsibility of family life. Sadly, many in the media chose to deliberately distort his statement by deliberately dropping the word “deliberately” from his comment!
In the sixties Billy McMahon had to find a wife before he could be accepted as Prime Minister. In the eighties Bob Hawke had to remain married to be accepted as the Prime Minister. In the nineties Paul Keating did not “come out” until after he lost his 1996 election. Heffernan was being interviewed by a journalist and was asked if he thought Julia Gillard would make a good Prime Mimister, and he stated one reason why he thought she was unfit, and I agree with him.
Posted by geoffreykelley, Saturday, 5 May 2007 12:59:38 AM
No body had picked up on it, but Julia Gillard made the same statement as Bill, but directed at; Electoral Division of Indi (Vic) Mrs Sophie Mirabella MP, who has been married since then.
Let’s have the removal of the ludicrous righteous indignation and a selective ethics and its application; and apply the same indignation across the board.
That’s what makes some of the commentary quite funny in condemning Bill.
Julia Gillard instigated such statements for proletariat emotional appeal, and using the methodologies of precedence already set, Julia Gillard is guilty of, as well as some other colleagues of Demonstrable Hypocrisy and not Bill ; But in the land of Looters and witchdoctors that has become the Australian Labour party, that’s normal policy to be Hypocrites.
Consider only seven sitting members have out side work experience, and the remainder are Labour party Hack Lawyers and Union Bosses and other apparatchiks, it is another demonstrable act of proletariat aggression to use the expression of Working Families- as to Looting Families. Ha Fairdinkum.
Posted by All-, Saturday, 5 May 2007 9:27:36 AM
All-

Nobody picked up on it because she didn't say it. But of course the truth is irrelevant to you.
Posted by ruawake, Saturday, 5 May 2007 9:51:40 AM
"To violence against women, Australia says "NO".

Did Julia Gillard say Sophie Pananopoulos was unfit represent her electorate because she was a deliberately barren woman or just that Sophie was unfit to represent her electorate because the Melbourne lawyer has nothing in common with her electors who she consistently offends.

Every one in Sophie Mirabella's electorate calls her Sophie Who? Her maiden name was Pananopoulos and she has never visited any of her electorate that isn't on the Hume Highway. The electors in Sophie's electorate always questions her ability to represent them. At public meetings when she heaps abuse on some one or some policy an audience member always asks her "Why do you think you should represent me?"

Sophie's electorate is Indi in North East Victoria from the Hume Highway to the alps taking in Wangaratta, Wodonga, Ovens and Kiewa Valleys , a very Anglo-Saxon part of Australia.

Sophie attended St Catherine's School in Toorak, a day school for the daughters of secular/protestant Toorak, Hawthorn set. Upwardly mobile Greek girls and boys usually go to St Michaels, about 20 years ago all notices sent to parents were written in Engllish and Greek.

On the idea of the punishment should fit the crime, Bill Heffernan should be fined 3 months parliamentary wage to be donated to a battered women's refuge or IVF research. Or support the use of IVF for unmarried women.
Posted by billie, Saturday, 5 May 2007 12:11:43 PM
Ange.

Do You mean Senator Bill Heffernan the Sheep Farmer who supports Live Animal exports AND sits on the Animal Welfare Advisory board at the same time?
The Senator Heffernan with a conflict of interest?
Spare a moment Ange to consider that if you think he should go because of his arrogant attitude towards women, how hard it is for Animal Welfare groups to TRY to discuss anything with him.
On top of that some of these people "are woman"- ooh arh no wonder why the cruel live export trade continues.
Perhaps Senator Heffernan when I wrote to you to let you know I was holding a public enquiry into live Sheep exports- 'you felt' you had the right to forward my letter to another party.
Well at least thats what the public are told anyway.
The thing is Senator Heffernan I dont think that was the right thing to do.
I mean without my permission or knowledge. I think it might have been manners to contact me firstly - before you did that.
To be fair you did call me personally and yes I did confirm I was to open a public enquiry in each State Of Australia.
At the time I said we would hold it in a pink tent and invite off shore media.

I explained Murdoch and Packers` along with The Ler-courts domination of the press and 'their' interests along with that of your with the cruel live animal export trade would made it seem unlikely of fair reporting into this enquiry otherwise.

Has anybody noticed how they say there is no money in farming but all these tall poppys are involved.
Umm I wonder if our farmers have been told porkies!
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Saturday, 5 May 2007 9:21:42 PM
What wories me is people actually vote for people like Bill Heffernan.
Posted by ronnie peters, Tuesday, 8 May 2007 9:40:03 AM
COUNTRY GAL:
I AM ON YOUR SIDE IN THIS AND LIKE YOU I THINK WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE BILL HEFFERNAN WHO IS NOT AFRAID TO BE POLITICALLY INCORRECT. IF DECISIONS ARE MADE ON OUR FUTURE I DON’T WANT THEM MADE BY A BUNCH OF SOFT MOUTHS WHOSE MAIN PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT.
Posted by SILLE, Wednesday, 9 May 2007 1:03:21 PM
Bill Heffernan the family man. Umm.

I will have to sleep on that one.

Perhaps you ought to sleep on calling it a day Bill.

If you have trouble doing that I `Wouldnt` suggest counting sheep.`
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Saturday, 12 May 2007 2:13:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy