The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > One continuous roadworks zone!

One continuous roadworks zone!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ludwig, the fact that the truckies ignore the signage is an indication that it is largely unnecessary, not that it should be more heavily enforced.

The number of accidents caused by the public travelling too fast at roadworks is exceedingly small. On the other hand, I suspect the number of accidents caused by frustrated drivers who drive excessively fast to try to make up time following an encounter with roadworks is relatively high.

Similarly, when I was taught to drive, one of the things drummed in to me was that you must clear the carriageway as much as possible after an accident, while the current accident response protocols block two lanes even for a fender-bender and call out multiple emergency responders.

Enormous expenditure that is largely needless and causes delays and frustration.

Great for GDP though and largely paid for out of Government's pocket, so who cares, eh?
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:06:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic

Yes a shuttle arrangement would be a good idea at roadworks sites where there is a propensity for vehicles to pass through well over the designated temporary speed limit.

As well as the one-lane situation that you mention, it could easily be done where traffic is moving through in both directions at the same time.

If the authorities were really concerned about drivers travelling slowly past workers, this would be a very simple and effective way of dealing with it.

But it seems that most of the time they are not bothered at all by vehicles doing well in excess of the signs they have put up.

It certainly would appear that they often put up signs 20kmh slower than what they should be because they know vehicles will not observe anywhere near the stated speed.

I have also on quite a few occasions observed workers driving within their own roadworks sites at well in excess of the applied speed limit!

All drivers are supposed to be responsible for observing the road rules and are at risk of incurring heavy penalties if they don’t. The same needs to apply to those responsible for implementing the appropriate temporary speed limit signage and other safety measures, and the regulation thereof.

Currently, it obviously doesn’t. They seem to be able to act highly irresponsibly with impunity.

I take photos of inappropriate speed signs and the like. I have accumulated quite a collection over the last few years!

As for diversionary tracks around the site, yes a good idea, where practical.

<< Ludwig, the fact that the truckies ignore the signage is an indication that it is largely unnecessary, not that it should be more heavily enforced. >>

Yes I agree that it is largely unnecessary. So the onus should be placed upon the responsible authorities to make it more appropriate.

But no I don’t agree that it shouldn’t be more heavily enforced. Whether it is appropriate or not, it is technically legally-binding and surely needs to be enforced, especially when there is chronic disobedience.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 18 May 2013 10:31:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luddy the fact that the cops don't enforce roadwork speed limits highlights the bl00dy awful job the roadwork gangs do with signage.

Huge lengths of restricted speed, with no work going on is sure to train drivers to ignore these restrictions, & for the cops to obviously agree that enforcement is unnecessary.

If intelligent use of restrictions was made, the public would be more inclined to obey the signs, & roads workers would be safer.

Just this week our brilliant council had a team restrict the parking on both sides of the road, for 100 meters right through a cluster of medical practitioners. They did this on Monday morning, with witches hats, road signs, no parking signs & such. It took them some hours, & eliminated 6 disabled parking bays.

By Wednesday afternoon, when I had to get a scan, not one worker had appeared, & most of the witches hats, & much other gear had been dragged out of the way by frustrated drivers, & cars were parking as usual. I don't know if the cops were booking people, but I doubt it.

One advantage of country towns is the cops mostly live there, & can't be as anal as many in the city. Now if we could just get rid of no hoper council supervisors, some sense might prevail.

Oh & mate, you want to make sure you are in front of a nicely painted classic. To avoid stone chips on our pride & joy, we sit way way back.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 18 May 2013 11:47:30 AM
Antiseptic nice to see you active.
But I see things differently, traffic controllers, the firm not its staff fight hard and cut prices for the job.
Not so long ago traffic controllers appeared on the books as security, far less pay far less insurance.
In NSW almost every long term job has bad smashes and deaths.
Truckers are not saints, some could not read this, it can be a dumping place for fools.
Cost a third of the whole? no near true mate.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 18 May 2013 5:16:46 PM
On the little job I was referring to, absolutely a third of the whole cost. 4 controllers on full-time, plus 2 vehicles and someone to relieve at shift-change. It was just a little reseal and pothole repair on about 500m of highway. Only about 6 crew working on it and no heavy plant.

That was my point about managerialism: on a major job, with complex works, that might have been a reasonable way to approach the job, but on a tiny little bit of a job it was way over the top.

Sure, truckies aren't saints, but they're normally pretty good at not driving into things.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 18 May 2013 6:41:27 PM
<< Luddy the fact that the cops don't enforce roadwork speed limits highlights the bl00dy awful job the roadwork gangs do with signage. >>

Yes I guess that is true, Hazza. You would hope that if there was a real risk of mishap that the cops would police these zones. The fact that they don’t points to the very low likelihood of this. Well… it would if we could have faith in the cops to do the right thing and prioritise their efforts according to need… which I don’t at all.

Actually, there has to be some increased risk in these roadworks zones, because you have a mix of vehicles blatantly ignoring the speed limits and those who more or less observe them, despite the godawful tailgating and bullying that they get. I’ve observed it over and over again – law-abiding vehicles get chronically tailgated all the time in roadworks zones, and this has surely got to significantly increase the chances of mishap.

<< Huge lengths of restricted speed, with no work going on is sure to train drivers to ignore these restrictions.. >>

<< If intelligent use of restrictions was made, the public would be more inclined to obey the signs, & roads workers would be safer. >>

Absabloodylootely!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 18 May 2013 8:17:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy