The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Forced adoptions of 40s and 50s

Forced adoptions of 40s and 50s

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
The thing I find fascinating is that "work", apparently, continues to be categorised as anything that takes place "outside" the domestic sphere.

Nothing changes....
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 9:40:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Throughout we seem to be hearing that "the churches" did this and "the government" did that. Its easier to condemn the actions of these anonymous things than to think of these actions as being done by someone.

But remember, if all the dastardly acts really did happen, they were done by people. By the local nurse, the family doctor, the girl's (presumably) loving parents. So when we recklessly condemn these actions, remember that we are condemning real people. People who thought at the time, and probably still do, that they were doing good for the child and good for the girl.

That is why, when you read the government's reports and all the other literature, you won't find commentary from the actual people who took the child, organised the adoption, counselled the girl. These people are written out of the story because the 'sorriers' want to pretend it was all done by some disembodied institution. So we end up with this story where all these really bad things were done by....no one!!

But if you want to pretend that these people were involved in some vicious moral crusade against the 'poor' girls, just remember who you're talking about. Your mother, your grandmother, the kindly old lady down the street, the now retired old doctor. These are the people who you think did these things. Oh, and your parents and grandparents were electing government after government disposed to continue these 'crimes'. And its not as if it was a secret so they are also complicit.

Personally I have a much higher opinion of my predecessors and believe that they believe(d) they were doing the right thing and therefore have nothing to apologise for. From the data I mentioned earlier, it seems that many of the girls who gave up their child agree. But they are written out the story as well.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 9:52:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze has a point. Most families confronted by this dilemma were likely to have made there decision to conform with the moralities of the time. Most people aspired to a middle-class morality which precluded such circumstances as an unwed mother amongst their lot. What would the rellies and neighbours say?

I'm lucky enough to possess copies of letters between my biological mother and her aunties that were written when she was pregnant with me (her mother died when she was young). From memory (I only read them once as I found them quite confronting) the letters started out talking about preparing for the baby, making clothes etc...then somewhere along the line as the communications continued, the aunties began to extol the merits of giving me up...everything changed.

Will dig them out later and see if there any hints to the mindset of the times.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 10:27:36 AM
Also wanted to add that this was a very "middle-class" family. My mother's father was fairly high up in a successful and well-known pharmaceutical company.

But even the the lower middles and the working-class aspired to the general morality. They took their cues from their "betters" and aped their intolerance.

Also, if an apology is in order, then the government as representative of the general population "is" the one to extend it.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 10:50:09 AM
Poirot we don't pay people to clean their teeth, or wipe their backsides, but I gather you think we should.

If people can't manage to wash their cloths, cook their food, & go to work, they are a waste of space. No one should expect to be paid to do the house work, or even mow the nature strip in front of the house.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 10:52:13 AM
Hasbeen,

I was merely pointing out that domestic "work" has always been undervalued (not necessarily in monetary terms) - and always will be.

As far as paying people to clean their teeth and wipe their backsides...you're right.

Instead we pay people to clean other people's teeth and wipe their backsides...that's capitalism.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 March 2013 10:57:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All