The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > With do gooders like this no wonder we are in trouble

With do gooders like this no wonder we are in trouble

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I could not believe we have people in a position of authority that have so much disregard for the majority of Australians.

Summary of story.
A New Zealand man, is allowed to stay in Australia when he gets out of jail for assaulting a taxi driver, police and his former pregnant partner.

Here comes the good part.
In a newly published judgment, AAT deputy president Robin Handley noted that the man had been drunk, hungover or had lost his temper at the time.

He made the "extraordinarily difficult" decision to let the man stay, ruling that "the risk of future harm should be tolerated by the Australian community for the sake of the best interests of his children".

Beyond belief.
So the person has been convicted of assaulting 3 people, one of which was a pregnant female, so the whole country has to accept QUOTE "the risk of future harm should be tolerated by the Australian community"
for the sake of his children.

With people like this in a position of authority I have grave concerns for the future.

There are 2 cases covered, my comment about the first is easy Australia did not force this person to become a drug addict, so after 6 convictions anyone want to take a bet on when his 7th conviction will come?

Link
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/drug-dealing-immigrant-allowed-to-stay/story-fncynjr2-1226600117609
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 1:32:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You have to realize that this person making the decisions is doing so for your good and your welfare. You should not be critical of their inability to make good judgement calls.
Anyway perhaps he was one of those people the NZ Prime Minister sent over here as part of his discovery on how to fix NZ unemployment.
Just like those countless NZ Citizens from the Pacific Islands who will never work because they can't or don't know how or are too fat.
These people are not counted in the imigration intake quotas because of the Australia NZ free movement agreement.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 9:18:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Phillip S,

Justice has nothing to do with the well-being of the public and it never will as long as the most voiced expression in legal circles is "Pass us the gin bottle mate!"
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 10:43:00 AM
Hasbeen we have touched on this subject often.
O sung wo could add to it, we all can.
No need to highlight the mans country, this type of judgment is standard issue.
People walk free, every single day, after committing crimes most of us would think need prison terms.
Why.
The costs of imprisonment? must play a roll.
The fact that these folk, lower courts and high, are not living in our world, the real one.
In just my lifetime gun crime has become the normal.
Car thefts take multiple convictions before prison terms are used.
In truth our law, its judges at any level, are re making the victims victims again.
Another reason the law is said to be blind is because it is, to the values of those it is meant to protect.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 2:18:36 PM
Dear belly,

Why are you addressing your above comment to Hasbeen when he hasn't even posted a comment on this thread at this point in time?

Why don't we just rename "The Forum" to "The Belly-Hasbeen Only Forum"?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 2:35:35 PM
Phillip,
I can better you.
what about a covicted non-citizen drug dealer being allowed to stay in Aus because he claimed to have fathered a child here.

Only this morning there was an article about a disallowed asylum seeker being given refugee status because he had an irate husband after him, in iraq, since he was caught having sex with the blokes wife. Our marvelous refugee tribunal.

What can one say?
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 3:01:05 PM
Philip, there is a movie from the 1980’s (I think) called the Star Chamber where a politically correct judge passed judgments that took into account the perpetrator rather than the victim. Like this imbecile judge the perpetrators were let off lightly because of the criminal’s personal anguish background or social circumstance.

The plot thickens when the judge and his wife are assaulted (I think she died) by similar scum that he had let off lightly through some sense of misplaced compassion….anyway the wash up was that he and a group of like minded judges kidnapped and tried felons that the system had treated with kid gloves or got off through some legal technicality…they were all found guilty and executed by this group of judges, that’s the plot and the theme is how he changed his colours when he was the victim.

They say that life imitates art, and it would benefit the victims if some of our cotton wool wrapped judiciary get a social shock and be the victims…then we will see if they trade off the safety of the community because a criminal has personal issues. Re the kids in this case….they are probably better off without a bastard that beats his pregnant partner,if he wacks his missus he is extemely likey to whack her offspring, why I say "her offspring" is because scum like this don't have a paternal bone in their body...they only care about them selves.

Belly my china plate….who the hell are you talking to….Hasbeen aint here yet tiger.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 4:27:00 PM
A long time ago when I was a humble police prosecutor in the Sydney Central Magistrates Court (which used to be called the Police Courts} because they were basically controlled bu police there was a very famous (notorious) Chief Magistrate ( Murray Farquhar [14 years prison for corruption] once told me that prison sentences depended on two factors. First there was the population status and second the labor status.
This simply meant that each day before court Murry as 'Boss' would get an update on what space there was in prison available for incarceration and what security status the system could handle and also a list of needed manual occupations the prison system needed to carry on business inside the walls. He then passed this information on to other magistrates and the days business commenced.
Thus if some poor sucker who happened to be a qualified chef was fronting on an offense that would normally carry a fine would find himself saddled up with a six months sentence simply because the officers mess needed a cook or the main kitchen needed an executive chef.
With prison populations the way they are today I am sure population economics play a big part in who goes to prison and for how long.
Please don't think they introduced parole to help rehabilitate prisoners. Try getting the numbers to fit the frame.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 7:44:11 PM
Well it is not only the judges, but the whole damn system.

I'm still trying to get my jaw up off the floor after hearing the sentencing & terms of imprisonment of our Maori, pretend Tahiti prince, embezzler of $16 million, from Qld Health Dept

He was sentenced to 14 years, which sounded fair, but it was the parole period that floored me.

With 14 years he cam be out in 2014. They said 3 & 1/2 years. Why on earth do we pretend we will be punishing these criminals, but let them out the back door, almost before the front door has shut.

Hell for $14 mill, I'd happily spend 3 years in one of our holiday resorts for crims, called prisons. All I need now is a job in some government accounts department.

Stop press! That should be finance department. You can pay the bureaucrats more if you give the job an up market description.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 10:09:14 PM
Banjo - Yours beat mine but they all are just additions to a long list of failures by this Government's Administrators.

sonofgloin - Did not see that movie, it sounds interesting.

Hasbeen - Just read that one when he gets out next year bet he has lots of money secretly stashed away to continue his comfortable lifestyle.

Belly - I will remind you of something you have said 2 times Quote "Philip s it has been my intention to avoid you and you heated posts from your first day here."
Here was a reply to you from me when you could not see a reply to you that was DIRECTLY below where you asked me for something.
"An optometrist would be a good place for you to visit today."
It appears that may be in order here as well.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 11:11:23 PM
What can one say?
Banjo,
Heil Labor, that's what one can say.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 7:30:05 AM
individual your comment even in a conservative forum like this is contemptible.
I think after giving it a second look,telling myself you do not have the wit to understand I must take those words on.
I give no real value to your ability to think.
Posting links can be wasteful, they often are gone in a few hours, particularly if from a news paper.
I spotted a link worth putting here, went back after my romp in the press, it was gone.
From what I saw it gave a judges view prisons are full so a sex offender walked free any one else see it?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 7:39:22 AM
Indy,
Labor has a lot to do with the illegals situation, granted.

But the weak decissions of our courts will continue whatever the government.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 8:46:44 AM
Yep, I'll drink to that banjo. They both appoint judges that will not up set the chattering classes, the civil libertarians & the Marilyn Shepherds of this world too much. They have enough things to upset us with, so we get bleeding hearts & activists.

Of course they are all lawyers, so protect their base & strength, the law. The last thing they are interested in is justice.

The only way we will ever get the type of justice the majority of people want will be to elect out judges, & that for a fixed, reasonably short term.

To really work anyone who had ever studied law would have to be ineligible to become a judge. Only then would justice have a chance.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 10:46:36 AM
Law? What law? Justice? What justice?
Here in Cairns we have a solicitor who was about to be caught out for working for both sides....client and insurance company....who favored the insurance company.
He was also the head of the Law Society. So their kind of justice comes into play.
No legal proceedings, no court appearance, no conviction, no imprisonment, no sanctions whatsoever.
Instead to avoid embarrassment and publicity they make him a magistrate.
AS a magistrate he cannot be touched by the laws of self regulation.
Law and Justice have no place in a democratic society where money and power operate to maintain the status quo.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Thursday, 21 March 2013 10:19:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy