The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Coles, So who is paying for the discounts.

Coles, So who is paying for the discounts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Dont-blame-Coles-for-our-woes-farmers-pd20130218-52R6P?OpenDocument&src=rab

There you go, Rehctub. Its a complicated argument, but even the head of the dairy farmers agrees with me about the Coles issue.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 9:01:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby, you say....Perhaps in countries like Australia and America, food is too cheap, so people are too fat.

Well that's half right, as the main problem with food is that processed food is cheaper than fresh, and that's as a result of manipulation of the system by the food super powers.

But I have to agree with S, as there is no way Australians only spend 10% of their incomes on food.

While that may be a sastistic, it is simply not possible.

More than likely the stats are from the same people who provide us with employment numbers.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 1:03:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think its quite possible, Rehctub, as its food. That does not mean toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning products and all the rest.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 2:08:28 PM
It probably depends how pedantic you are being in what you call food.

An example of a water saving shower I used to sell.

It retailed for $27. It cost me $2.00 to make. However it also cost $4.00 to put in a packet, another $4.00 to sell & invoice, & account for, & $6.00 average to deliver to the retailer, [$400 in Qld, & $16.00 in WA].

How much did the buyer pay for the shower, & how much for the packaging, distribution & other add ons?

I would hazard a guess that only about 10% of the bill at the checkout is actually for the food, & the rest is for the glitz that induced the customer to buy it.

When I look at my receipt from the super market only about $35 in $100 is food, & its packaging. The rest is pet stuff, kitchen, laundry & bathroom consumables, clothing, confectionary, gardening supplies, & pesticides. Not much human food at all.

As I would have to drive another 40Km to use their fuel voucher, & I don't like stale bread or old/frozen milk, I don't see much discount anyway.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 2:46:05 PM
There you go Yabby.....

Stopped to get a "take away" burger today, cost $5.

On $600 in the hand (and a load of lower echelon plebs are on that) and a budget of $60 being the 10% on food, I could buy two burgers a day, but go without on Sunday.

Just admit it is a rubbish argument Yabby and we can all go home.

Yabby you regularly bleat on about how Aussies shove their money in the pokies and waste it on booze. I have said this before, who voted you dictator.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 3:57:40 PM
Sonofgloin, I'm with Yabby about how much is wasted on the likes of the pokies etc.

In a perfect world, these wasted dollars would be spare money, but in reality, much of the waste was intended to put food on the table, so too many kids go without.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 6:29:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy