The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abolish the States? Ignorance Rules the Day Again

Abolish the States? Ignorance Rules the Day Again

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
I would much rather no Senate, or a major party controlling the whole thing, than this ridiculous situation where tinkerbell & her fairies from the bottom of the garden have the balance of power.

When you have idiots typing the script, you are likely to get Shakespeare's comedies taken seriously.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 24 January 2013 8:49:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

Removing all of the Upper Houses including the Senate wouldn't be such a bad idea, as long as we had the States and their Premiers as a counterbalance against a bad Prime Minister and his/her centralist government in Canberra. I guess that was the whole idea of Federalism as a counterbalance of too much power being drawn to the centre.
Posted by Sense, Thursday, 24 January 2013 10:47:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sense, if you have a problem with the current government, that's not a problem of centralism per se, but the specific policies of those people.

Unlike others here, who want the influence of minor parties eradicated, I think they should be a safety valve against irresponsible government.
But the Senate as it is, isn't really representative.
I'd like to see national PR, with no subdivision, partial seat elections or arbitrary thresholds.

You really need buses, garbage collection, road maintenance to be "administered" locally?
It's all just computer programs!
Who cares where the computer is located.
Or the call centre help/info lines.

Tiny multi-regional governments create the possibility of quite extreme parties winning power, as they could concentrate membership in a particular area.
National PR makes that virtually impossible.
Posted by Shockadelic, Saturday, 26 January 2013 12:37:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy