The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Population growth to challenge social cohesion

Population growth to challenge social cohesion

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Okay Oligarch - comparing Australia to non-mulitcultural states, make an effective case that this social cohesion really is a big deal.

I see a multicultural Australia, and I see a society that has less conflict than other nations. I see a country that is working well, and anti-immigrationists trying to tell me that its going to hell in a handbasket.

I don't believe you. I believe the issue is blown out of proportion, and rather than looking at the bigger picture, you're looking at a few examples and isolated incidents, and creating a vast conspiracy.

I can believe that 'social cohesion' is a problematic issue.
As for a vast problem that threatens to doom Australia, you're going to have to point to more than a few brawls and racists.

Quite frankly, I'm much more worried about water. We're running out in almost all our major cities, yet still people are yammering about issues like 'social cohesion.'
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 19 April 2007 3:08:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steve Madden, what are you thinking ? Trying to compare population and land mass, as you are trying to do with the UK is meaningless. Why do you think England is called a "Green and pleasant land"? Most of our land mass is desert with fragile and nutrient poor soil, easily damaged with creeping salinity in what was often our most fertile areas. A climate of extreme temperatures with unreliable rainfall doesn't help.
Posted by snake, Thursday, 19 April 2007 5:09:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, Snake and Steve, you're both wrong, though Steve's closer to the mark.

You're basically comparing which country needs imports to sustain their population more - and the answer is Britain.

Snake - it's irrelevant which country. If it suits, change it to Japan - don't try to tell me Japan has comparable arable land to population ratio when compared to Australia. The notion's ridiculous.

And in terms of Arable land, Britain's land may be of better quality, but it's not that much better. Think about it. It's tiny compared to the many arable parts of Australia, even discounting the vast expanse of desert.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 19 April 2007 5:29:47 PM
Ha Snake

I had anticipated your reply, Victoria has a significantly higher rainfall than the UK (last years figures) and I am only talking about half the UK population in 43 years time.

What about Rockhampton and north plenty of rain, plenty of fertile land, no infrastucture.

Sure there are areas of Australia where people should live in harmony with the fragile environment, but this is not the rule where most people live or want to live.

Unfortunately the "sustainable" population debate has been hijacked by single issue fanatics pushing their own agendas.
Posted by Steve Madden, Thursday, 19 April 2007 5:40:00 PM
You are all ignoring the energy equation.
Growing food requires fertiliser, tractor fuel, transport fuel,
processing fuel etc etc.
We are literaly eating oil.
Together with our water problems we are in for a pretty tight time.
We need to keep our population at least steady.
The days of growth are coming to an end.
The days of the 2000km banana are also coming to an end.
You will grow it where you eat it.
When ? Well thats a hard one, sometime between now and 10 years time.

It is pointless trying to ignore the energy equation it will
predominate over global warming and all the other problems.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 19 April 2007 6:10:55 PM
MURRAY DARLING farmers have just been told "Unless there is substantial rain in the catchment your massive vegy/fruit growing area will receive ZERO water this year"

Now.. translate this into food prices etc..... and we have a problem.

Steve, UK has MASSIVE rain fall mate.. every year. Australia has very LITTLE. The area means nothing, the NATURE of the area means everything.

With other posts telling us about oil crisis and farmers getting no water, I'm feeling more confirmed in my investment choice of a small property in 1998 with the thought of having to be self sustaining in 'a few years time'.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 20 April 2007 7:01:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy