The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Of wind power and retarded monkeys.

Of wind power and retarded monkeys.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
We have invented a new power in this world, the power of monkey wind. A whole gang of retarded monkeys harping and harping can really power the world!

Radio 'Shock Jock' Mr Jones (What exactly is it that's so shocking about repeating the same mantras about boat people and Juliar every day), makes a joke in poor taste, at an 'off the record' 'Young Liberals' love-in.

The good people of the world are informed of this by an outrage dealer wanting to make a buck.

A lynch mob of people who never listen to Mr Jones' radio show threaten to use their buying power to blacklist companies who advertise on this program that they don't listen to, in order to have the guy sacked (from a company he partly owns) so that others cant listen to him.

Does it strike anyone as slightly insane, let alone vindictive?

The guy apologizes, but apparently not well enough.

Another group of retarded monkeys, who believes the tone of political debate has been dragged down by Mr Rabbit, USE this for political point scoring, ensuring the joke of bad taste they are supposedly so offended by powers the great wind machine for a week.

I feel this new energy source flow like the force. The life force of this society is trivialities, outrage (especially confected outrage on behalf of others), spreading hatred and mobilizing lynch mobs to bring down people who say things they don't like, even if in private. The monkeys want to exercise their power!

This reminds me so much of a group of young men of middle eastern appearance rioting over a movie trailer they never saw but didn't like.

Just quietly, I don't think it's a Muslim thang.

I suppose it's a-ok though if you use the ethical blacklisting to bring the object of your dissatisfaction down. An economic threat is kosher, whereas the threat of anarchy or physical violence is not. Is there a more global theme here? Am I wrong?

All in the name of 'free speech' of course, and the new human right not to be offended.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 3 October 2012 5:55:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellie,

You win the award for the "Best Thread Title Ever" on OLO.

(Congratulations)
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 3 October 2012 6:55:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Say what you will against them at least public burnings at the stake allowed people to vent.

But electricity, and emissions legislation, changed those simplistic times.

Now, the leisure to indulge in trivialities is the life farce of our interneted society.

However, should we be surprised when organ grinding monkeys enjoy a wind up?
Posted by WmTrevor, Wednesday, 3 October 2012 8:37:56 PM
If gullibility and stupidity could somehow be converted to clean energy then some 2GB listeners may yet save the world.

Fans of these shows are addicted to outrage and need to get angry about something just in order to feel alive. They live in a tabloid world where everything is either extremely white or totally black and are ready to lap up any unsupported statement as if it has been handed down from "on high" and are happy to let some corrupt dishonest broadcaster do their thinking for them.

As was sung in last year's Wharf Review about Jones, in the end he's only peddling incontinence pads and funeral homes and when you turn off the radio, he simply disappears.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 4 October 2012 2:13:46 AM
Thank yo Poirot.

But Wobbles,

'Fans of these shows are addicted to outrage ...'

Oh I don't think it's only the fans of the show! Check the outrage from the Fairfax and ABC groupies.

In fact, I fear the people wanting to have Gloria sacked might well regret it as they have one less thing to feel superior about.

Imagine if there was no ACA or Gloria or any of these shows, just how would the QandA set express their feelings of moral, political and intellectual superiority?

Imagine no Bolt! No Piers!

One amazing thing this whole episode has given us is John Laws (aka Leisure Suit Larry) carving up Leigh Sales.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 4 October 2012 8:45:39 AM
Wobbles, what a conceited, condescending waffle !
Really, grow up and realise that you may well be in a minority of people
who still are unaware of what is happening in the world.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 4 October 2012 9:26:50 AM
Bazz,

"Waffle" being the operative word for all in sundry in the tabloid world...or anywhere humans interact with a barrow to push.

I'm a great waffler, but I'm often accused of being condescending and conceited, because I dismiss Jones'-style crap.

I'm with wobbles (in apparent minority - yay!) but I also think Houellie's right that people love to feel outrage...It makes us feel superior, but that doesn't negate the bilge that overflows daily from left and right in their attempts to out-moralise each other.

Bit of a hoot, actually.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 4 October 2012 9:47:31 AM
Wobbles,

"If gullibility and stupidity could somehow be converted to clean energy then some 2GB listeners may yet save the world." You are a fine one to talk.

Considering the bile and invective you pile into your posts, you are no better than Alan Jones.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 4 October 2012 9:57:24 AM
Wobbles, you are not alone I totally agree with your comments.
A bit of the latest Jones news.
Alan Jones is under pressure to make a public apology after a court upheld a ruling that he incited hatred and vilified Lebanese Muslims in on-air comments made in the lead-up to the Cronulla riots.
The man of straw is under more pressure,
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 4 October 2012 9:58:23 AM
'Considering the bile and invective you pile into your posts, you are no better than Alan Jones.'

Oh SM, but that's bile and invective to people who deserve it. The bad guys. It doesn't count when you're in the right (left)!

It's that wonderful potpourri of hypocrisy, prejudice, spite and pretension that makes the world go around.

But the Muslims and the Jones Haters are both guilty of feigning indignant outrage on behalf of someone else, and both round up a mob to seek revenge for this slight.

It's endlessly amusing.

Think of all the agonizing over that Charlotte Dawson, even after her commercial use of suicide 'revelations' the next day on 60 minutes, her hypocritical rallying to get abusive people off twitter when her main Shtick was humiliating young wannabe models. That's the kind of comedy gold I love.

The thing I ponder is whether the ultra right conservative Jones followers

a) Know he is in the closet
b) Choose to pretend
c) Aren't really so against homosexuality if it's someone they like

I think people's bigotry is generally subjectively applied. It's the ultimate 'some of my best friends are black'. People REJECT their prejudices when it suits them, because they like the character of people the meet in person. Or maybe it's just in favor of a different prejudice.

It's just so much fun choosing a side and spitting venom at the 'other', but in the cold light of day people aren't really taking it all so seriously. They're not invested like you are in circumcision.

There's something about this life force, this whipping up of a lynch mob, Trev's public burnings (I reckon Bunnings could sponsor that) that people feel they need. Like European soccer fans using soccer as a substitute for war. But I really don't think the monkey wind is representative of any real conviction. It's about as much conviction as when you're down the pub and you say you really should go after this one, but then you sit there and partake in about 3 more rounds.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 4 October 2012 11:29:45 AM
Houellie,

"...(I reckon Bunnings could sponsor that)..."

Or perhaps a weekend workshop on the fine art of tarring and feathering?....burning torches (and how to keep them alight while galloping self-righteously through the streets. Maintaining a tight grip on pitchforks, while wielding a mobile phone (and texting simultaneously).

The possibilities are endless : )
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 4 October 2012 11:37:31 AM
But people wouldn't do any of this unless it made them feel good…

As long as it is someone else in the stocks and you're with the rest of the 'townsfolk' throwing the rotten fruit at them – or today's equivalent of hurling 140 character tweets – you feel better on a couple of levels.

One, it isn't you in stocks. Two, you've been actively involved showing them who's really in charge – us!
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 4 October 2012 12:05:07 PM
First we have Jones spewing his usual biased nonsense at a liberal function, then we have the anti-Jones crew attacking 2GB advertisers including threats, ALP jumps on board to blame Abbott and Libs for Jones, then Libs jump on bandwagon (so as not to be left out) and blame ALP for HSU and Michael Williamson, then Abbott labelled a misogynist, then Libs dish out the 'handbag hit squad' rhetoric and so the show goes on...and on...

One can almost hear the 'roll up', 'roll up' chanting through the corridors of our media hoi polloi who thrive on this pettiness.

It is a funny aspect of human nature that what is seen as 'bile' by one side of politics will be seen as 'fair game' by the other. Both sides of politics will trot out examples of the other side doing wrong when faced with criticism instead of just owning it.

Fact is most politicians cop a bit of bile either from their opponents in politics, their supporters and now particularly through social media.

The politicians often lead by example and it is about time everyone just upped their game and started behaving in a more civilised way and focus on policies and principles over political point scoring which at the end of the day has become so meaningless as to be a complete waste of time.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 8 October 2012 10:23:59 PM
"Considering the bile and invective you pile into your posts, you are no better than Alan Jones".

It's nice that you think I wield such influence.

At least my thoughts are my own and not just rehashed gainsaying,token criticism and selective half-truths for the sake of political gain, like those of Jones and your good self.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 10 October 2012 1:21:15 PM
Wobbles,

I was talking of the quality of your remarks not your influence. Fortunately I agree that they are your own thoughts, as I doubt anyone shares them.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 11 October 2012 3:28:33 AM
Oh yes, the power of freedom of speech.....better can it now before someones opinion actually changes the future:)

Jones thoughts/bunch's of failed attempts to be the ear for the people, is a warning to the fact that the people will always have the last say in all that concerns our joyful life in Australia.

The Canberrains retarded monkeys, is just the simple operational primate response to.....Money see, monkey dont:) its just as well the people really know how to aim there bananas.

PLANET3
Posted by PLANET3, Friday, 12 October 2012 1:38:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy