The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How Corect is Politcaly Correct?

How Corect is Politcaly Correct?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
refugees are not, both in law and by international convention, 'illegal'.
Anthonyve,
Yes we're all aware of that. I suppose what most of want to know is what you'd call those who come here as refugees but aren't. Like the one who was on one of the boats, said he's not running away, he just wants to go to Australia. Would you classify them as refugees or as illegals ?
What about those who get all the way to Indonesia but then suddenly somehow lose their papers. I call them illegals, what do you call them ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 10 September 2012 11:34:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,
Sighh... this is getting boring.
Look, I don't have to describe him.
We have a process, established by UN charter, to establish whether refugee claims are valid.
But that process specifically prohibits an assumption of illegality without verification.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 10 September 2012 11:57:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo I too take issue with you on your comments re just what Gina said, lies?
The lady is un Australian! heard her every word did you?
Anthony, differ here, yes some things should not be said.
In saying that I both underline my own case, and preserve peace.
I despise Bolt.
But lets look, do any of us question why we, every single one of us, can trace back to ancestors from Africa.
And in my case 4 British Islands country's, see the 1/7th Aboriginals saying they can not be questioned?
Why? race, culture, or benefits.
Why must I contain a genuine fear Muslim Migration is unwise and a threat.
Are my opinions protected as much as those who hide behind the PC barrier.
Is PC a protection from truth? a barrier to free speech.
Post the election Labor lost to Howard, a Nation wide question and answer meeting was held.
25 people told our facilitator we are sick of PC.I remain sick of every form of it.
Once under a Liberal much loved leader, indeed its maker, Sir Robert Menzies.
A man not even Howard equaled in knowing what voters want, he failed to get a referendum up to Ban the Communist party.
Todays PC blinded country may have passed it.
See we let fools like communists Nazis and much more walk our street but damn ordinary folk for? not being PC.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 10 September 2012 12:01:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sighh... this is getting boring.
Anthonyve,
I just hope you'll find it less boring when you're under the yoke. I suspect you actually want that.
Posted by individual, Monday, 10 September 2012 12:37:38 PM
It's really not that difficult, Belly… Just make a point of avoiding injurious words in public discourse.

For example, it's why you wouldn't talk about sluts – whether male or female – who are acting like slags and producing rug grubs whilst expecting or demanding taxpayer support.

But you could describe them as fecundily inappropriate.

Originally the term politically correct meant the consideration of using gender neutral or inclusive terms. Firefighters, unless you are talking about a specific fireman or firewoman – that sort of thing.

Those who rail against PC (just to be clear, I do not include you) are usually too stupid or lazy to make the effort and realise that politically correct speech can actually be great fun since it encourages creativity in expression – 'pigmentally challenged' might just be a description of the situation in which redheads find themselves under the Australian sun.

Maximum points are obtained when you insult a fwit without them realising it or thinking it a compliment.

Just make any point you want without resorting to unnecessarily offensive descriptions or inexact expressions.
Posted by WmTrevor, Monday, 10 September 2012 12:41:15 PM
Hasbeen I've not chased down the detail but my understanding is that they got Bolt on issues of factual correctness of claims made about specific issues rather than a general "you can't talk about that topic". There is obviously plenty of debate about the correctness of his claims and the background to them as well as the appropriateness of the penalty but its still a different issue to PC prohibitions about topics.

I don't mind some kind on limits about what can be said about individuals especially where one has access to the kind of public space Bolt has. I'd need to be more confident in the detail to have a strong view about the application of the limits in Bolts case.

More to the point it is possible to talk about issues if race and other topics in public without being immediately at risk of penalty.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 10 September 2012 2:28:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy