The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ok, so who can I tax next!

Ok, so who can I tax next!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Julia Gillards new education baby, may well come at the expense of the high income earners and middle class welfare.

Now just for the record, I am not a high income earner, however, I have huge appreciation for their efforts and the continued support they provide for the not so well off.

I simply can not believe this woman is targeting our own, while at the same time wasting billions on wars and boat people, both of which are already being funded, in large, by high income earners.

Perhaps she should fix these problems before going off spending massive dollars she simply does not have.

As for education, the funding is already there, it has simply been poorly used.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 6:45:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i think it should all come ..from that howard era error..
the public servants pension fund...slush fund for public serrvant excess

public service gets paid by govt
not slush fund managers..reaping the cream off the top
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 10:13:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ohhh tax next..right lets begin with taxing trust funds
and transaction taxes on high speed trading

lets tax lollies/suger..[currently 25 cents a pound wholesale
costs near two dollars retail..tax its wholesale price..to soft drink and other suger of death merchants..like booze hounds and petro chemical

a gas tax..gause burning gas aint clean energy
and tax those with opinions..or make those who want the new slush fund..pay taxes to support it..

heck tax credit debt..
these ignorants are going to go broke anyhow..
might as well take a bit of their free cash crime speees
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 10:18:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tax all religious organizations to pay for the harm they have done
for the last 2000 years (christians).
Don't subsidize them with my atheist tax money.
Posted by undidly, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 11:41:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tax the politicians more after all they just got a big pay rise, cut out the indexed part of there pension for life. Means test politicians pensions. Cut out the tax loophole that allow big business and the rich to pay less tax than the average wage earner. Get rid of the Governor General. Stop the Navy from rescuing people in Indonesian water and bringing them to Australia take them to Indonesia which international law says they can do. Sure others can add to this.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 12:18:26 PM
Here is a waste of money coming
Quote "The Australian Defence Force is quietly resurrecting plans to buy seven huge intelligence and surveillance drones that could cost up to $3 billion."
Now the labor party will be able to use them to find more refugees.
What a useless waste of money they don't stop or deter anything.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 12:25:41 PM
I have not seen a post I agree with yet, it may happen.
I have questions, are our kids worth it.
Dowev truely want them to be with the best.
Tax, it appalls so many, what do we cut, health care.
Transport and roads defense, how about we cut pensions?
J W Howard, remember him? tax rates much higher than todays under him did we all complain then.
Gillard, is she gone yet?, seems tom be behind the concerns shown here.
Tax me! my country's kids and it future is worth it!
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 2:35:09 PM
Mr Abbott has opened his mouth again. Public schools are getting to much funding already. This man is likely to say anything at anytime.
Doesn't perform well under pressure, have you noticed that.
Funding for the education upgrade is in the system, PM says.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 2:56:43 PM
Belly>> J W Howard, remember him? tax rates much higher than todays under him did we all complain then.<<

Belly when you are right you are right, tax to GDP reached its highest level of 24.2 per cent in 2004-05 and 2005-06. While today, tax to GDP is 21.2 per cent, 3% lower.

But Belly I would rather pay another 3% tax and have a surplus of $20 BILLION as Howard handed to Kev, than the highest government debt since federation … that we will have to pay back if Labor doesn't sell us off, like they are selling off the farm.

High tax or low tax, they are clowns, Gillard is Ronald McDonald, Swan is the Hamburgler and Wong is the stupid one, Grimace, who’s serious post grad emotionless persona just regurgitates the formers rhetoric. They have not got a clue, it’s uni days again.

Who is the imbecile that was singing his responses at us the other month…they have got to be joking, as Jed Clampett would say “pitiful, just pitiful”.

Our debt will be over $200 Billion dollars when the new govt is formed, and what do we have to show for it….nothing except the debt, interest, and a realization that perhaps 50% of Aussies are truly simple souls given they voted for Gillard believing that things would straighten up…the truth is these simpletons have not got a clue who they voted for….The fact is they voted for Sussex Street and the AWU, Belly you know that, and look at how they screwed NSW.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 6:34:57 PM
Philip S >>Tax the politicians more after all they just got a big pay rise, cut out the indexed part of there pension for life. Means test politicians pensions. Cut out the tax loophole that allow big business and the rich to pay less tax than the average wage earner. Get rid of the Governor General.<<

Belly you said you have not found a post you agree with. Did you miss Philips?
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 6:42:40 PM
Belly, if we want to do more for our kids, improve health and a dress our localized issues, the simp,e solution is to stop the waste.

In fact, with the waste caused by labor, one can only imagine where we would be right now had they not got the nod.

sonofgloin, tax the rich you say.

I am assuming you are aware that just less than half our tax payers (your average worker you refer to) receive more in assistance (welfare) than the actually pay in taxes.

So, doing the math, this means the other half, not only pay the bills, but the also pick up the slack for the other half.

And you want to tax them more!
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 8:38:24 PM
rehctub - If you read it correctly he is quoting what I wrote and it does not say "tax the rich" it says "Cut out the tax loophole that allow big business and the rich to pay less tax than the average wage earner" Australia and Britain as well as the USA have big problems with the top wealth people using off shore accounts and tax havens to minimize there tax to less than an average tax payer.
It is estimated at least £13tn – perhaps up to £20tn – has leaked out of scores of countries into secretive jurisdictions such as Switzerland and the Cayman Islands THAT is TRILLION pounds worldwide
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 8:59:52 PM
Rehctub, politicians, the rich and big business are likle the boat people, they are only in Australia to see what they can get from Australia.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 9:04:38 PM
You have an interesting point. I'm all for better funding of education, but I am also all for sustainable funding. I work at a school that embraced the 1:1 computer-student ratio as soon as possible. The funds allocated by our government to this project have since dried up, so we are left with a choice: find the money elsewhere (approx. $150,000 a year) or abandon the program. I'm fine with the latter, but we have established expectations (each kid will receive a computer) and found that it is not sustainable. We keep throwing funds at 'projects' in schools but don't look to the long-term future when doing so.

What I wish for, as a teacher, is to have the resources to be able to do the job properly. The Australian Curriculum requires us to conduct novel studies. At my last school, I had a situation in which 32 students had to share 12 copies of a novel between them. We simply didn't have the money to buy full sets. We also had classes permanently timetabled in the library because we didn't have enough classrooms - as it turns out, covered walkways were classified as 'teaching areas' so we were already over-quota. At another school, we had no covered walkways so that we could have enough classrooms, but the kids got drenched (or burnt) walking from one class to another. Both schools had constant construction projects - trade training facilities, industry-standard kitchens ... these things have their place in schools, but I don't think they should come at the expense of the basics.

My suggestion: allocate the funds we have to the basics we need, then see what is needed to make our schools 'world class', rather than simply building a world class veneer on a decaying foundation.
Posted by Otokonoko, Tuesday, 4 September 2012 10:01:28 PM
Otokonoko, a very senible post.

You see governments just can't prioritize thier spending, no matter what they do.

It is the same in all levels, no doubt in all states as well.

They have to realize that money can only be spent once, so they must make it count.

One area of concern must be the amount they fork out on consultants fees, you see behind every brain wave, there is no doubt some consultant/s making a killing out of it.

Why not pay half of what they pay and engage retired teaches, heck, many of them would do it for free because they just loved what they did.

I recon government funding (in most things) is tipped into a funnel, whereby it swearls around, being gobbled up by fees etc, then the only bit that reaches the target area is the little bit that comes out of the spout at the bottom. The rest is expended before it reaches it's target. Education, health, the list goes on.

As for taxing the rich and avoiding the scams that some rightly point out, a transaction tax would solve this and many other problems.

Taxing monitory transactions is far more efficient than taxing people's incomes , but for some reason governments simply won't go there.

In fact, it is suggested that a TT of just 2% could see every other tax abolished, including PAYG and GST.

My son pays over $500 in income tax per week, so just imagine how he and many others would feel if they had an extra $464 dollars to spend each week.

Now that would certainly stimulate the economy.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 5 September 2012 6:27:59 AM
Butch A simplistic approach to education acessment.
It's about time you explained your brand of TT instead of saying it would fix all taxation problems.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 5 September 2012 7:29:05 AM
It's about time you explained your brand of TT
Are you totally incapable of thinking for yourself ? rehctub's explained it a million times & you still don't get it !
Posted by individual, Friday, 7 September 2012 6:57:57 PM
All the posts in this thread are from the mirage of business as usual.
Well, it is not going to be business as usual.
Why do you think Europe and the US are in so much trouble ?
They are running out of GDP surplus to pay their debts.
It is not just a passing fad, it is PERMANENT !

We are going to be forced to build a quite new business model and a lot
of the old financial and taxation practices will not survive.

The sooner we start discussing what will have to change and how, then we will get somewhere.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 11 September 2012 1:42:36 PM
I keep thinking of a criticsm by the PM recently of a trial by the Qld Govt for some disability work. The PM's complaint was that there were no new resouces in the trial, rather a shuffle of funding. Some don't seem to get that there are rarly new resources, just more money taken from those who work for it and used inefficiently by government.

Governments rarely actually get the big end of town to pay up, the genuinely rich can afford to chase the loopholes and afford the accountatnts and lawers to work out how to do it (or if there is little competition just put up prices). Instead the bill keeps landing in the laps of "working families" and others who need their income and are not an endless stream of income to be tapped by government.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 11 September 2012 2:13:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy