The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gillard, Gordon and Slater, and Mr Wilson.

Gillard, Gordon and Slater, and Mr Wilson.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. All
While at first I was reluctant to put up a thread on this issue given the lack of information, Gillard's interview on Australian agenda showed that she is simply not prepared to answer any questions on the issue.

The new information that has emerged over the weekend is not criminal, but certainly raises questions:

1 Against company policy, Gillard did not open a file for the establishment of the legal entity for Mr Wilson, for which Gillard offered no explanation. While this could be completely innocent, it had the effect of shielding this work from the other partners.

2 It would appear that Gillard's resignation from S&L was not entirely voluntary.

3 Gillard's responses to questions posed by the investigation appeared very lawyerly and non committal.

4 G&L's statement did not exonerate her, only "nothing could be found that contradicted her statements"

If Gillard has done nothing wrong as she claims then she needs to nip this in the bud. Holding all her cards to her chest has cost her huge damage in the Thomson and Slipper sagas.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 20 August 2012 8:36:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
birds of the feather flock together. No wonder such a reluctance to act on Thomson. The Labour party and Catholic church have much in common (ie see no evil, hear no evil) unless of course its Abbottphobia.
Posted by runner, Monday, 20 August 2012 10:00:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the charge this time.
Posted by 579, Monday, 20 August 2012 12:55:08 PM
From the link below:

>>2011 :Julia Gillard has appointed Bernard Murphy as a judge of the Federal Court of Australia. When the $1 million fraud and theft of the AWU hit the fan in 1995 Gillard and Murphy both left Slater and Gordon lawyers around the same time as Gillard’s boyfriend Bruce Wilson left the AWU for his part in the fraud and theft.<<

Rats off a sinking ship.

>> In an affidavit the AWU’s then joint national secretary, Ian Cambridge, raised specific questions about the role of Gillard’s law firm, Slater & Gordon, in the purchase of a Melbourne property by Wilson. “I am unable to understand how Slater & Gordon, who were then acting for the Victorian branch of the union, could have permitted the use of funds which where obviously taken from the union, in the purchase of private property of this nature, without seeking and obtaining proper authority from the union for such use of its funds,” Mr Cambridge said.” The above also relates to Bernard Murphy given he was Julia Gillard’s boss at the time at Slater and Gordon.<<

>> Ms Gillard and her boss at the time at Slater & Gordon, Bernard Murphy, who was appointed a Federal Court judge six months ago, were overseeing much of the firm’s legal work for unions including Mr Wilson’s AWU national construction branch.”<<

Dead skunk in the middle of the road, and it's stinking to high heaven.

http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/2011/10/17/julia-gillard-appoints-bernard-murphy-her-partner-in-crime-from-slater-and-gordon-lawyers-as-a-federal-court-of-australia-judge/
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 20 August 2012 3:34:30 PM
With Thomson, Slipper, and the asylum seekers, Juliar appeared to think that ignoring the problems would make them go away. This strategy failed miserably, and only made it worse when she was forced to act.

This is why I am really surprised that she thinks it will be any different this time. There are material questions as to her integrity, and her intransigence is beginning to look like a cover up.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 20 August 2012 3:53:55 PM
Oh it gets worse all right, the Slater & Gordon mystery was years ago but the allegations of interference with the freedom of the press are fairly fresh:
http://www.quadrant.org.au/blogs/qed/2012/07/alan-jones-interviews-michael-smith

Audio file:
http://www.2gb.com/index2.php?option=com_newsmanager&task=view&id=13667

Remember "Crazy" Mark Latham hinting that the Thompson affair was just the tip of the iceberg, not so crazy after all eh?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 20 August 2012 3:58:18 PM
'Remember "Crazy" Mark Latham hinting that the Thompson affair was just the tip of the iceberg, not so crazy after all eh? '

Yes Jay these days I feel quite sorry for Latham. With all his faults you knew what you were likely to get. It has been all sleaze ever since with the help of the honest accountable independants Windsor and Oakshott. No wonder they are so bitter.
Posted by runner, Monday, 20 August 2012 4:23:15 PM
Even if Gillard can be charged,they can delay preceedings until the next election anyway.Labor are dead in the water no matter who leads them.The gutless independants won't bring on an early election because they know their fate is sealed also.

None will do what is best for Australia since corruption is now the order of the day.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 20 August 2012 8:23:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Politicians are really getting worried these two stories suggest more of a lot of different issues will surface and some one is worried.
1) "Journalists and media that publish leaked information from parliamentary committees could be banned from federal parliament and face charges of contempt" Politicians trying to cover there mistakes and corruption.
Also "Federal Labor backbencher Steve Gibbons has called for fines for journalists who publish misleading or incorrect stories" It is okay for politicians to lie but no one else can NO CARBON TAX
I smell a rat here.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 20 August 2012 9:20:59 PM
If there are no allegations - criminal or otherwise - what is there to respond to?

Unfounded heresay? Media fantasies?

Instead of the typical and well-practiced conniving Liberal strategy of using forged documents and vague mudslinging, how about putting up some real facts for a change?

Now that Thomson has been cleared of electoral funding charges, how soon before the media publishes the whole truth behind Kathy Jackson and Lawler's own (documented) corruption, the quiet coffee dates with Pyne and the phone calls to Brandis?

Relying of the tainted testimonies of the likes of Jackson/Lawler/Grech/Ashby and others says a lot more about the accusers than the accused and they had better be very certain about pursuing yet another smear without some real evidence.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 21 August 2012 2:00:48 AM
It has reached the stage of not only integrity being necessary but the
appearance of integrity also being necessary.

There is one little snippet that has been largely ignored.

Why did Julia Gillard's builder go to the Australian Workers Union for payment ?

Did he confuse the name of the fund set up by Wilson, AWU Workplace Reform Assoc, with that of the Australian Workers Union ?
So he was under the impression the work was for the union ?

Hmmmm
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 21 August 2012 11:14:21 AM
The media reports were based on the other senior partners of Slater and Gordon.

While there is much misrepresentation from others, these are sound.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 21 August 2012 4:36:23 PM
Regarding Thomson and the FWA HSU investigation:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103433724/KPMG-Review
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 21 August 2012 10:08:08 PM
Poirot,

I'm not sure why you posted that link, as what it shows is at the least gross incompetence and negligence on the part of FWA. As the authorized body for investigating these matters, the question as to whether the stalling and under resourcing of this investigation was purely due to monumental incompetence or deliberate.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 5:14:04 AM
Those in poor old labor land are clinging to hope, but the reality is, their beloved party is dead in the water.

Lap it up I say, cause this will be your last chance for a very very long time.

I am looking forward to no more labor, no more one sided, so called, inderpenents and hopefully a scaled down greens outfit.

Bring on the election!
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 5:57:12 AM
SM.

This is why I posted the link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-21/fair-work-hsu-investigation-flawed-independent-review/4213408
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 8:08:43 AM
hey, comon fellas,
lay off,don't be too tough on our Julia, surely you don't wish for her demise as PM do you?

Now This is the worst and most incompedent government we have ever had and Julia remaining is a trump card in getting rid of most of them.

If the labor party can find someone with a big enough ego to replace her, who knows he may just perform a little better and gain a bit more support from the public. Now I do not want that, I want to see this government demolished.

So go easy, her remaining is an advantage.

I think we can just survive untill the next election, then start to climb back out of the hole.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 10:06:30 AM
Banjo, The danger in that is that an Abbott lead government with an extreme majority could be as bad in other directions. Despite the mandatory claims of being humbled by the win most pollies seem to make after getting the top job few seem to stick by that sentiment.

Nothing about Abbott is leaving me with the impression that he would act with restraint or compassion for those impacted by large change if he's in charge.

I'd much prefer to be heading to the next election with some hope of installing a government that served the country rather than just getting rid of the current disaster. Not much chance of that.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 10:46:18 AM
PS,

Comment from Paul Kelly:

"IT is no surprise that Julia Gillard's tactic is to brand as illegitimate media questioning of her past conduct as a lawyer - but it is bizarre that senior journalists in the press gallery have the same view.

The stories published in The Australian by Hedley Thomas in recent days are neither hearsay nor recycling of scuttlebutt. They are based on previously undisclosed documents. The conclusions by Thomas have been balanced and measured. And they demand answers from the Prime Minister.

Once it would have been unnecessary to make such apparently obvious points. Yet such is the confused and embittered state of our political culture that the obvious is no longer apparent.

Nobody should get too excited about Gillard's tactic of overt intimidation to kill this issue. It is a time-honoured technique by leaders under pressure and holding a weak hand."
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 1:36:35 PM
Why should gillard bow to media. If there is an accusation lets hear it.
If she were to answer to the media, it would open a channel of dialog: for what.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 2:36:03 PM
Look 579, there is an odour about the place, and a number of people
connected with the government, the unions and the labour party are all
somehow inside the vapor. So it is not surprising that questions are
being asked and explanation sort.

It would be marvelous that it could all be found to be one massive
misunderstanding, but do you really believe that ?
No, someone, or rather several have rorted the system to $100ks or
indeed $Millions for all we know and a coverup has been going on.
I think that is now beyond argument don't you agree ?
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 2:57:23 PM
Bazz All i know is the Australian news paper have been printing stories
of something 17 years ago. Mainstream news have not picked up any of it.
Abbott won't touch it, it goes to a pretentious time for him.
Unless accusations are made, it is just a story.
If accusations were made, she could get a legal team behind her. As it is now, it is a time waster for an otherwise busy prime minister.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 3:21:04 PM
579, it now appears that Julia Gillard knowingly made a false
statement of the purpose of the AWU Workplace Reform Association in
the application to establish that association.

Having from personal knowledge, know how pedantic ASIC can be in regard
to incorporated associations it must be an offense to make a false statement.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 4:08:56 PM
Poirot,

Are you confusing a bungled investigation with clearing Thomson? The report did not in any way clear Thomson, but damned the Gillard constructed and appointed FWA, and recommended that they never be allowed to conduct such an investigation again.

Labor has covered up corruption by incompetence.

Hopefully the police will do a better job.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 4:19:21 PM

The accusations against Juliar are not of a criminal nature, they are accusations of poor judgement and incompetence.

As a 35yr old partner in a senior law firm any claim of youthful indiscretion is more than a little dubious. This supposed top notch lawyer set up a legal entity, hid it from her partners and was completely oblivious of what occurred in the entity she established.

The Sargent Schultz defense (I know nuthing!) might work to keep her out of jail, but makes her look very stupid. As a PM being stupid is not a virtue.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 4:34:59 PM
The FWA did bungle their findings, they did not have any interviews to back up the findings. It could all be fairy-tales. This was known months ago. That did not worry the coalition.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 4:35:46 PM
Mr Rabbitt was very happy with the findings of the FWA, was clean cut. He done it whatever it was.
If it had of been a police case they would have got it in the first place. Witch hunts are not police business.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 5:25:45 PM
Kinda makes you feel all warm amd fuzzy, don't it.

One can only dream about where we would be right now, had so many not fallen for the most deceitful campaign in modern history, the mighty Kevin 07.

Well, I hold my head high, knowing I didn't contribute to this mess, both times.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 7:42:23 PM
Agreed Rechtub,
I gave up voting after the first Howard government, in a multicultural society all politics is identity politics and since there is no way for me to vote in my own familiy's interests or those of my ethnic group I'm a conscientious objector when it come to elections.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 22 August 2012 10:30:51 PM
The" Gillard constructed and appointed FWA" blah blah blah.

Rubbish.

The FWA is just a rebadged IRC with the same representatives but working to enforce a different set of directives - like the PMG became Telecom and then became Telstra.

The current officers were NOT appointed by Gillard, they were appointed directly by the Governer General on advice from a Government Minister, just as the Governer General is appointed by the Queen on advice of the Prime Minister.

Mr Lawler (whose own corruption scandal is looming and should become public before the next election) was appointed on the advice of Tony Abbott when he was Minister for Industrial Relations and can only be removed from office by a full Parliamentary vote, not by any government individual.

Among all of the half-truths and lies, at least get some of the facts straight.
Posted by wobbles, Thursday, 23 August 2012 2:27:27 AM
FWA was constructed by Juliar. That she kept some of the old legislation and employees is beside the point, she didn't have to.

Also

"FAIR WORK AUSTRALIA JOBS FOR LABOR MATES
Trade union officials are five times more likely to be appointed as members of the ‘independent’ workplace umpire Fair Work Australia, than non-union officials, the Government has revealed.

In late 2009, then Workplace Relations Minister Julia Gillard, appointed 6 new members to serve as adjudicators on the bench of Fair Work Australia. Of these 6 appointments, 5 were ex-trade union officials and 1 was an ex-government bureaucrat."

Get your fact right.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 23 August 2012 6:28:56 AM
The arguments about who appointed whom do not really matter.

There is a bad smell coming out the whole trade union, government and faceless men world.

That in the end, is all we voters need to know.
If the police are doing their job they will take it all apart and give
a case to the prosecution service.
If the voters are convinced that the government/party/unions interfere
with prosecutions then it may well be the real end of the Labour Party.

If that happens the Greens will become the opposition.
For all our sakes the Labour Party membership body needs to clean out
the existing hierarchy, the good and the bad, start from scratch and
disconnect from the trade unions. They will be doing the unions a
favour as they have been corrupted by their connection to the Labour Party & government.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 23 August 2012 9:26:33 AM
It's a matter of who has the best experience of the workplace, only minor changes were made to rebadge it to FWA, the whole block of legislation was lifted and re-sown into FWA. With no work choices.
What has that got to do with the noalition having a clean cut kangaroo court decision to hang Thompson.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 23 August 2012 9:31:43 AM

"the whole block of legislation was lifted and re-sown into FWA. With no work choices"

No it wasn't. There was plenty put in to boost the unions.

P.S There is plenty of irrefutable evidence that Thomson is a crook and a sleaze ball.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 23 August 2012 10:32:39 AM
Irrefutable evidence, why has he not been charged.
Is it because the evidence can not be substantiated.
Either way i can't see how it can be irrefutable.
The only thing is irrefutable is Tony and his pride of mongrels got it wrong.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 23 August 2012 12:27:55 PM

It's coming. The 4 year delay by Juliar's FWA didn't help.

What is irrefutable is that Juliar lied to the electorate, and that the unions and many Labor MPs have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 23 August 2012 12:47:35 PM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/apology-to-the-prime-minister/story-e6frg6n6-1226456413608

I notice the apology wasn't addressed to Juliar - but then they obviously don't have your class, SM.

...but of course the opposition and its supporters should keep trying...Thomson, Slipper, Gillard - and who could forget the splendiferous Godwin Grech affair.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 23 August 2012 2:47:44 PM
The Australian newspaper is not worth the money you pay for subscription. For some reason the lib lot take it for gospel.
The worst lot of opposition ever. Headed by MR No, and followed like a mob of sheep, the noalition fraternity needs to have a good think.
The noalition will not score any points for this lot.
Abbott is failing, his campaigns are in decline, with no reputable policy, how can he be tolerated.
The carbon tax retoric was a gigantic fizzer. The mans a mug, he takes the AU people for idiots.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 23 August 2012 3:40:44 PM
Concerning the spectacular mediocrity of the alternative leader of the nation, it was difficult, during last night's 7:30 Report interview by Leigh Sales of Tony Abbott, to ignore this man's vacuity... Jennifer Wilson says it well on her blog:

http://noplaceforsheep.com/2012/08/23/abbotts-vast-vault-of-verbal-mediocrity-revealed/
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 23 August 2012 9:03:38 PM
Bit of a larf :)

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/23/did-i-mention-juliar-has-been-bullying-the-mining-industry/
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 23 August 2012 10:59:36 PM
"Mysogynists and nut jobs".Indeed.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 24 August 2012 8:46:52 AM
Shock-waves rumbling through the noalition camp. Abbott only beat Turnbull by one vote.
The party of slander is in dis-array.
The Australian newspaper, is a filthy rag, and Julia is very generous in her decision not to prosecute.
Posted by 579, Friday, 24 August 2012 8:58:21 AM

'and Julia is very generous in her decision not to prosecute.' thanks for giving me the laugh of the week. Is Thomson also so forgiving? You do provide entertainment.
Posted by runner, Friday, 24 August 2012 9:40:36 AM
On the contrary, runner - strange, don't you think, how Thomson hasn't been charged, let alone found guilty, of anything.

But of course, don't let the presumption of innocence stand in the way of your riveting commentary.

After all, you're such a moral exemplar (tee hee)
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 24 August 2012 9:54:01 AM
Runner talks in riddles, Where have all the crucifiers gone today. Liken their wounds and other things i suppose.
What a statesman like character this Abbott is, any country willing to take him for asylum.
Posted by 579, Friday, 24 August 2012 11:16:46 AM
Juliar wouldn't dare sue for defamation. Thomson sued fairfax, and the following investigation by fairfax uncovered the detailed dirt that landed him in deep water.

The last thing Juliar needs is a legal reason for journalists to dig through her past, and with the justification to subpoena information from Slater and Gordon.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 24 August 2012 12:01:27 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

We can all make various kinds of assumptions about
our politicians can't we. However, that's all they
are - assumptions, influenced by our own biases.

Perhaps you would do better to question the agendas
of the people who are trying to smear the PM instead of
believing their innuendos and falling for their tactics.
The reputations of these people are in themselves -
also questionable -
and their history of fraud and con doesn't make them
very reliable. Basically they aren't very "nice" people.

The PM did give an interview in which she answered all
questions. That in itself would indicate that there's
nothing to hide. And Slater and Gordon have repeatedly
stated that the PM has done nothing wrong.

Still, if you prefer to listen to people of ill-repute
I guess that's your choice to do so. Don't expect though
that your remarks will be taken seriously or respected.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 24 August 2012 6:44:28 PM
Lexi,

Tho only stuff with regards Juliar I have commented here is what has appeared in the news and been freely admitted by her. All I have accused her of is poor judgement and incompetence, which given her departure from G&S is pretty much what they thought of her too.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 25 August 2012 6:29:57 AM
Abbott fans can't help them self. SM is claiming inside information.
Does he have any inside info; on Abbott, or is what we see what we get.
No wonder women can't stand him. Abbott's interview with Lee is on utube going gangbusters. Might even be on some sort of drugs.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 25 August 2012 8:33:17 AM
It seems 579 et al can't help themselves.
They do not realise their commentary is helping Abbott.

Pity it does not get wider coverage, keep it up !

I would prefer to read more realistic comments, rather than just the
"Todays comment sheet subjects".
What was yesterdays, "Tony Abbott does not read" ?
A congo line of politicians all saying the same thing.
579 are you on the circulation list ?
Perhaps being on the list is a measure of your standing in the party.
I will bet Belly is not on the list !
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 25 August 2012 9:12:57 AM
"They do not realise their commentary is helping Abbott."

Judging by his performance the other night, he needs all the help he can get.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 25 August 2012 9:20:10 AM
Bazz,
Do not discourage 579 or critize Gillard too much, They are the best thing going for us that want to be rid of this government.

Yep, I want Gillard to keep on and 579 to keep up his ignorant and crazy comments.

Meanwhile the list of government cock ups grows longer.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 25 August 2012 10:35:56 AM
And Banjo has got up the nerve to front, Not all you read is gospel, especially when it comes from the Australian Newspaper.
Butch will be lurking around somewhere, waiting for some sensational news.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 25 August 2012 11:06:30 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

The Australian newspaper has apologised to the
PM for getting it wrong and Slater and Gordon
has repeatedly stated that she did nothing wrong.
The rest is muck-racking and innuendo for personal
agendas by the fraudsters (and nutters).
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 25 August 2012 11:16:55 AM
cont'd ...

BTW Shadow Minister, you really should re-read
your posts on this thread as your posts contradict
what you only claim to be doing.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 25 August 2012 2:39:19 PM
Lexi, thou protest too much;
The Australian correction was because they referred to the setting up
of a "slush fund", not a "trust fund".

As it turned out they were the same.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 25 August 2012 2:54:22 PM
Lexi,

The Australian apologized and retracted one line of one of one article, ie when the author of the article used the term trust fund instead of slush fund. This was more of a typo and the Australian stands by the rest of the content.

What is not in dispute is that Juliar knowingly set up a legal entity for purposes very different from its stated purpose, and by not opening a file in her company, violated company procedures and prevented oversight of this from the other partners in the firm. Without any further proof Juliar acted unethically.

There is no proof that Juliar knew of what was going on, neither is there any proof that she didn't, and in the absence of evidence either way she is given the benefit of the doubt. She has not been proven innocent. That she was living with Wilson while this fraud was taking place and claims to be completely oblivious both of his actions and sudden increase in wealth means that there are certainly questions, which given Juliar's penchant for addressing only the blindingly obvious, are likely never to be answered.

Gillard has not come out of this smelling of roses.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 25 August 2012 2:55:49 PM
SM wants a guilty until proven innocent, just like Thompson. There was no company file, for unpaid work, only Julia's personal one, which has long been lost.
Newman is making great inroads into QLD, people are disillusioned at what they have done. It's not what they voted for.
There will be rumblings in the noalition camp.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 25 August 2012 3:14:06 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Freedom of the press is great.

One can publish a false claim and then
just retract it and apologise. And then
you can do it again and again as long as
one keeps apologising. Of course by that
time the false claim is out there -
and who reads retractions anyway?

Clever journalism? You betcha. At least
that seems to be what "The Australian"
newspaper and its faithful followers believe.

See you on another thread.

Cheers.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 25 August 2012 6:41:49 PM
lexi,

What false claim? I bet you don't even know what the retraction was about.

Do some real research before spouting the labor party line and looking like an idiot.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 25 August 2012 7:29:48 PM
According to previous Liberal and partisan media allegations -

Bob Hawke was a heroin user.
Keating was involved in corrupt business practices and was a closet homosexual.
Latham appeared in a video "cavoting with strippers" at a bucks show.
Rudd corruptly acceped a ute for personal use from a businessman in exchange for financial advantage.

All these things were given screeching headlines, lots of media coverage and were all found to be bogus inventions.

Despite allegations of impropriety about the conservatives (and there have been many) none seem to get the same media attention.

Like the US Tea Party who insist that Obama is a Muslim and was not born on US soil, no amount of evidence to the contrary will ever change their minds and that is the same strategy of smear in use by the conservatives here.

It disconnects the public from debating real issues of policy by creating a phoney "good versus evil" scenario.

That's a strategy adopted by a morally bankrupt group of individuals and their lackeys who will do or say anything to reclaim what they traditionally see is their rightful place running the country.

Now they have chosen to take that path so deliberately over the last few years it would only be fair for them to endure the same amount of personal scrutiny when the circumstances change.

They have made the new rules and have chosen to "live by the sword".

What a shame for us all.
Posted by rache, Sunday, 26 August 2012 1:12:53 AM
There used to be a saying in some media circles - "Is it true or did you read it in the Oz?"
Back in the days of The Daily Mirror the byline -" from our Washington Correspondent" actually meant "from the Pentagon media section".
The Australian is just a liberal party brochure.
I once tried to use The Australian as toilet paper but ended up with more crap than I started with.
Posted by wobbles, Sunday, 26 August 2012 1:18:44 AM
Rache and wobbles,

The only problem with your diatribe against the Australian, is that everything they published was true, and has been admitted as so by Juliar.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 26 August 2012 6:06:55 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Only when you stop spouting lies,
false claims, innuendos, and the Liberal Party
propoganda will you have the right to give
any advice to others as to how they should
behave. In the meantime - no one can really take
anything you say seriously. Putting it politely -
Your credibility, like that of your leader's is
vanishing fast.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 26 August 2012 10:51:01 AM
Everything published was true, It was made up by the noalition, to be published in their personal paper.
Kaniving scoundrels, and Ned Kelly was branded a crook, he was a gentleman compared to this supposed opposition.
Three years and not one Question on the economy.
Abbott is that busy chasing slime, he can't even read a script that he was being interviewed about.
This is not a future leader,
Posted by 579, Sunday, 26 August 2012 11:24:33 AM
Lexi,

You cannot point out where I have lied. I have always provided facts and my opinions.

You however have a propensity to spout the labor line, all their lies and a few new ones too. You have no right to give advice until you learn to tell the truth. (unless you simply don't recognize it)

Particularly telling was your strident defense of the Malaysian solution even though you knew it was more inhuman than anything the coalition had ever been accused of.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 26 August 2012 6:39:25 PM
Shadow Minister -

Regarding facts, and for your info, here is a list of AIRC members when it ceased operation in 2009 - http://www.airc.gov.au/about/members.htm

Now here is a list of FWA members - http://www.fwa.gov.au/index.cfm?pagename=aboutmemberslist

See any similarities?

Now here is a document that shows how senior members are appointed.
http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/factsheets/FWA_Members.pdf

Also note that Deputy Presidents (such as Lawler) are appointed until the age of 65.
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 27 August 2012 8:08:10 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Just letting you know that I stopped reading your
post after the first couple of words.
I'm not interested in propaganda.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 12:07:34 PM
Lexi,

Then why do you read "the new Matilda" and continuously spout the Labor line verbatim.

I remember you vigorously defending the Malaysian solution when I know you hated it. That is propaganda.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 12:34:03 PM
Wobbles,

While there are some of the same names, there are even more new ones.

Labor since 2007 has only appointed ex union officials and one public servant, and not one person from private business. No wonder the FWA investigation was such a stuff up.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 12:36:47 PM
Od bods from business are biased, Julia knows best.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 2:39:13 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Not interested.

My patience with you has run out.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 5:44:17 PM
SM,

"No wonder the FWA investigation was such a stuff up."

Changed your tune.

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5151&page=0#138907
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 28 August 2012 6:17:40 PM
Poirot,

I haven't changed my tune a jot. The evidence against Thomson is overwhelming even if FWA was incompetent, they collected enough to damn him.

The scandal to which I was referring was the fabrication that Kathy Jackson was influencing Lawler.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 2:13:42 AM
SM,

I do find that more than slightly amusing.

Not only is Thomson's accuser Lawler's partner, the investigation by FWA is found to be incompetent, and Jackson herself is at the centre of allegations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-26/jacksons-at-centre-of-hsu-allegations/4093190
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 7:30:41 AM
Jackson is guilty as sin, The FWA assessment of Thompson was indisputable according to the noalition. Now thrown out they are back to scratch. How many times can you hang someone, prior to a court case.
Slipper is a witch hunt, not clean cut as stated by the noalition at all. Their attempt to get Gillard was just plain pathetic.
No wonder Labor are moving in the polls.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 8:56:16 AM
Poirot,

If the FWA was competent, the report would have been done in a fraction of the time, would have reviewed all the evidence, and would have produced the information in the standard format that the prosecutors could use. That none of this was achieved means that FWA is not fit to do these investigations and that this should be given to some one that is, such as AAAC.

Is the information in the report complete or immediately useful? NO.

Is what is there incorrect? NO

If FWA had been competent, Thomson would be in jail.

As for the "scandal" which supposes Lawler used his influence to prejudice the inquiry to which he played no part, is grasping at straws.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 9:33:44 AM
Lawler is in it up to his neck.

Lawler and his family are consider “Liberal Royalty” and he is hardly an independent observer. Jackson is receiving free legal services from both James Ashby’s lawyer, and also Stuart Wood (from the HR Nicholls Society) in Melbourne.

During an internal HSU power struggle he made a corruption complaint (as “a private citizen”) - and threats - about another HSU member based on unauthorised access to her emails and Jackson has submitted at least one document that was written on a FWA computer. Likewise Jackson has been logging into FWA’s computer network during their investigation into the HSU.

What sort of work were Lawler’s two children paid to do by the HSU and why did he suddenly go on “long leave” as soon as questions were asked about his role in the affair?

Since Lawler’s apparent conflict of interest in this supposedly independent investigation, FWA President Iain Ross is proposing a drastic overhaul of the FWA Code of Practice.

The allegations against Thomson are based primarily on information provided by Jackson herself. The evidence was personally presented to FWA by Jackson and she is the only person who can supply any evidence that could clear Thomson. Unfortunately for her, others are leaking documents that expose her own criminality.

There is a long list of corruption allegations pending against Jackson - far in excess of whatever Thomson was alleged to have done. Jackson had also accused her former husband (also allegedly corrupt) of using HSU credit cards for prostitutes- remarkably similar to those raised against Thomson. It’s beginning to look like Jackson made allegations against Thomson to protect herself from being found out and as part of a power struggle within the HSU.

Abbott and Co have gone remarkably silent about their ”Joan Of Arc - heroic, and worthy of great admiration”. Ashby may also turn out to be a liability.

This story is far from over and the names Pyne and Abetz are being mentioned as being very close to the matter.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 29 August 2012 11:32:12 PM
Very close to the matter. SM says nothing in the FWA report was done correctly, that didn't matter to them when when they were screening guilty. SM supposedly read the report and his comments were Thompson was a clean cut liar and corrupt person. The same with Slipper and Gillard.
There is a definite pattern here, i think it is guilty until proven innocent, why waste money on a trial, election now. All to date is a dismal failure, Abbotts type of opposition is certainly one for the books. It's a pity he doesn't know anything about politics.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 30 August 2012 8:03:43 AM
Wobbles,

"Lawler and his family are consider “Liberal Royalty” and he is hardly an independent observer."

Rubbish. Just making things up doesn't make things better.

You too. Don't ascribe things to me that I neither said nor meant.

"SM says nothing in the FWA report was done correctly," No I didn't. Not even close. This is called lying.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 30 August 2012 8:28:51 AM
SM,

As I recall, your main complaint against the FWA was that it took too long to reach the 'obvious" conclusion - and that, in your opinion, was likely due to interference from Labor.

Your own conclusion of Thomson's guilt rests on your own bias. Do you have a similar opinion regarding the Jackson allegations, or is this where your ethic regarding presumed innocence kicks in?
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 August 2012 9:04:55 AM
Poirot,

My "bias" against Thomson is based on evidence posted on the net of Thomson's credit card being used to pay for prostitutes accompanied with photo copies of his signature (confirmed as his) and drivers licence. To further corroborate this is phone calls from his mobile and hotel room to the brothel at the time.

Being of sound mind I struggle to see how all of these could be forged. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

As for Kathy Jackson, I notice your hypocrisy (and other from the left), in fervently supporting other whistle blowers, but when one exposes someone from Labor they are vigorously attacked.

If KJ has abused her position, then she should be treated appropriately. As most of these "allegations" come from within the HSU from those hurt by the scrutiny from her actions, (for which little to no details have been released), I am not going to make a call either way.

For example "What (the union charges) demonstrate is that she has been grossly negligent in her role as national secretary," Mr Brown said. "Secondly, she has been reckless by exposing the union to financial and legal liability."

So exposing and stopping fraud in the unions is "grossly negligent"?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 30 August 2012 10:57:01 AM
SM,

That would be the driver's license spelled "Thompson"?
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 August 2012 11:06:20 AM
The driver's license was in the name of Thomson, the credit card was in the name of Thompson.

The photo and signature are his on the license. PS I once had a company card that misspelt my name, and used it while a replacement was sent, as applied for by the institution not the individual, and the scrutiny is not as strict.

http://www.independentaustralia.net/Wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2ue-Craig_Thompson1.jpg
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 30 August 2012 11:18:37 AM
SM is terribly concerned bout union business, when it suites of course.
Thompson has just endured his tenth inquiry into this conspiracy theory.
Isn't it only fare that the man walks free. You can only have three goes at hanging someone.
Slippers charges have moved the posts several times.
Gillard is far to smart for the noalition lot.
No doubt Abbott's sex charges are being looked into, just to make sure nothing was overlooked.
The worst opposition in history, filthy, scumbags, if there is a politician amongst them, it certainly doesn't show
Posted by 579, Thursday, 30 August 2012 12:49:35 PM
Right you are SM. I wondered if I'd got it right, but was just on my way out the door - took a chance of posting without checking.

Btw, I don't suppose you'd like to read all the parts of Peter Wicks' investigation on the whole HSU affair at Independent Australia. There's some pretty eye-opening stuff there. which doesn't follow that Jackson (or Thomson) is guilty, but it does indicate that this whole saga is not as cut and dried as some would have us believe.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 August 2012 2:30:49 PM
Poirot the Wixxyleaks site does throw a different perspective on the HSU story. It is certainly complicated, one minute someone is a whistleblower then a suspect, then out of the closet come others with even more rorting. The police investigation is still pending on some of this.

I cannot comment on the AWU stuff or the PM's involvement, only to say if Wilson and co has spirited away money from union members under false pretences (as with HSU) has any of this money been returned to the members.

There is certainly a cases for much stronger audit processes for unions and Bill Shorten could use this as a foundation for change. I hope he is up for it.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 30 August 2012 9:14:29 PM
I have read some of the polemics by Peter Wicks, and also some information on him:

"Peter Wicks is an ALP member, former candidate and has been in regular close contact with Craig Thomson and with other ALP members. He claims to be a possible future candidate for the ALP. He refers to himself as an investigative blogger."

This "investigation" by PW has revealed no new information. It purely provides commentary with "questions" to try and show that CT was set up.

Poirot, trying to present this as "revealing" is a joke.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 31 August 2012 5:54:45 AM
Years away from any possible outcome, if then. With documentation being lost, outcomes could be circumstantial.
Jackson appears a nasty piece of work, not my type of female.
The case was clean cut by the noalition, no further investigation was necessary. Thomson was to be removed, 100% political agenda.
Shows the depth the noalition camp will go to, to achieve Tony Abbott's dream of becoming, the first clown prime minister in history.
Such was the urgency, they forgot the bigger picture, and now has fizzled to a witch-hunt.
The same tactics was applied to Gillard, which failed dismally.
All of this makes the noalition look like a rag bag team of no policy, win at any cost, amateurs.
Posted by 579, Friday, 31 August 2012 7:49:07 AM
Fair enough, SM : )

"...no new information..."

"...commentary with "questions"..." (Nice rhetorical slant)

It was a bit fanciful of me to think that you might perhaps be capable of looking outside the neatly constructed coalition box.

As you were.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 31 August 2012 8:42:38 AM
What Shadow Minister said.
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 31 August 2012 10:09:20 AM
Surprise, surprise!
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 31 August 2012 10:29:08 AM
Dear Pelly,

Welcome back.

You've been missed.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 31 August 2012 11:21:58 AM
Poirot,

If you want to push any agenda you can find some nut job blogger pushing your barrel. You should note that with regards the topic of the thread I have only referred to what has been reported in the mainstream media backed up by statements from the partners of G&S, not the vitriolic blogs peddling fantasies. That goes for everything else I put forward.

I would suggest you use the same discretion.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 31 August 2012 3:27:06 PM
Thanks Lexi. I see not much has changed around here, still the same old biases and rose coloured glasses in the sport of politics. :)

To illustrate the face of Aussie politics it was interesting to witness the responses to Leigh Sales after her interview with Tony Abbott on ABC's 7.30 Report. For sometime the ABC has been criticised for strong anti-Labor bias, Mark Scott in particular has come under attack. Suddenly the detractors come out of the woodwork to praise Sales's interview with Abbott. These same detractors who condemn the ABC when the ALP or Greens candidates are equally scrutinised. And the right wing has always seen the ABC as a cesspool of socialists so not much room for honest debate on that front.

Kerry O'Brien and Leigh Sales show no favours and thus will always invite criticism from both sides which means they are doing their jobs at keeping the pollies honest. That is really the point, but many only feign an interest in honesty when claims are made about the opposite side.

Groupthink is probably a facet of human nature we have to live with but surely there is room to rise above it.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 31 August 2012 3:37:26 PM
SM,

"If you want to push any agenda you can find some nut job blogger pushing your barrel..."

hmmm...I note that you used the Independent Australia site to prove your point regarding the credit care/license issue. It's all right to use "nut job blogger sites" when it suits your particular cause, I see.

Here's a mainstream link on the issue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-26/jacksons-at-centre-of-hsu-allegations/4093190
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 31 August 2012 4:45:07 PM
Mr Thomson says the documents back up his claims Ms Jackson is not a credible witness to allegations he misused union funds.

"How could Fair Work have all of these documents yet not make any comment on them in relation to the Victorian investigation, yet spend hundreds and hundreds of pages talking about similar issues that I was alleged to do?" he said.
Posted by 579, Friday, 31 August 2012 5:40:23 PM
Dear Pelly,

I came across this passage recently which may be
of interest:

"Unfortunately politics is a dirty word in
Australia today. I know that many people, particularly
young Australians are dismayed by the current
political scene and can find no place in it for
themselves.

The powerful groups in the community, in particular in
large corporations (and government) carry a great responsibility
but as someone once said, "(Their) access to money,
... and the ears of power ... drains the decency from
democracy."

The result is a kind of conservatism which is an impediment
to social change and breeds prejudice. It isn't good for
Australia, for the land or the people."

This was published in 1987.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 1 September 2012 10:48:12 AM
Poirot,

I got the photo off google images, are you seriously suggesting that where the photo comes from suggests that I support a particular agenda? If you have the IQ to determine the difference you are being obtuse, especially as they probably pinched the photo from someone else.

The allegations against KF that are labelled "disturbing" by Mr Brown, are at worst conflicts of interest only if undeclared. That FWA had the information and did nothing, is probably because they were declared, and bringing them up against a whistle blower is like trying to discredit a witness in a murder trial because of a jay walking offense.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 September 2012 11:46:48 AM
SM,

"...especially as they probably pinched the photo from somewhere else..."

You mean they spotted the anomaly.

Of course, I don't think you support IA's "paticular agenda". Your view is so skewed in one direction, it wouldn't matter what turned up, you'd find a way to negate it.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 1 September 2012 12:05:06 PM
Poirot,

Pot calling the kettle black, you are as one eyed or more than I am. At least I don't quote from the Looney pages.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 September 2012 12:10:30 PM
The FWA statement,not enquiry, was one eyed all they saw was Thomson, and nothing else. That was written for the noalition agenda. Guided by one of their own, on the top shelf.
Mr Abbott could have told you what was in it before it was released.
A thousand pages of fraud,
So much for your stacked FWA. As Julia says it is an independent body, except for infiltrators.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 1 September 2012 12:51:57 PM
Correction, SM.

No-one could be more one-eyed than you....(try as we might : )
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 1 September 2012 2:52:29 PM
Poirot,

Sorry, but you have matched me and more in being one eyed, though 579 exceeds us both.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 September 2012 3:43:51 PM
SM,

Gotta laugh - we all get rather puerile at times.....

Cheers
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 1 September 2012 4:33:36 PM
Shadow Minister,

<<Sorry, but you have matched me and more in being one eyed>>

Sorry SM, but this is where I must part company with you.

Poirot, "one eyed"!

Exceedingly generous, she might better be described as no-eyed.
Posted by SPQR, Saturday, 1 September 2012 4:38:35 PM
Thank you, SPQR.

But I'm in an exceedingly generous mood this afternoon - so cheers to you too.

: )
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 1 September 2012 5:13:44 PM
Oh yes, the famous ThomPson credit card statement.

So why was it filled out by two different people using two different pens?

Why is the copy in the photograph the BANK COPY and not the usual customer copy? How did the Tele get a hold of it from what must have been Bank archives?

Why is the code written at the top the standard Bank Rejection Code (211) - meaning authorisation was declined? If this is so, why was the imprint even kept - and by who?

So many interesting things about this.

It's all there in Wixxyleaks if you want to know more than the mainstream media is telling you.

Oh and Shadow Minister, the Lawler Family's Liberal heritage is a fact. His father was even a personal friend of Abbott's father and worked for Menzies.

Maybe he and Thomson will be sharing a cell one day very soon.
I wonder if Tony will visit him?
Posted by rache, Thursday, 6 September 2012 1:54:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy