The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is un Australian

What is un Australian

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Wm, if I had to describe our "culture" in one word, I would choose "informal". We don't like hierarchy, and we don't like fuss and we are not buyers of pretense. The way we abbreviate and bring a further interpersonal aspect to names is a great example of our lay back attitude to hierarchy, even when used as a platitude.

Here is a thought, along the same lines. Consider how many yanks have the descriptive junior, or jr, in their names as opposed to Aussies. It is a heritage and pride thing I would surmise. A statement of continuity that needs to be expressed.

When the yanks go for a nick name rather than a derivative of the given names they go for initials, not exclusively, but enough to be a social truism. I have an American brother in law who is exclusively referred to as TP. Thomas and Patrick are his middle names. My sis had been dating him for years before I found out his given name is Earl.

Something else about Australian social characteristics when compared to the US is that our social demeanor does not vary greatly from state to state. I have spent a load of time in the southern states, particularly Florida and Alabama Texas and found that my easy informal Aussie manner fitted right in and was readily accepted. But up north in New York State, Maine Connecticut, New Hampshire I found that I had to be more formal, any form of interpersonal familiarity was viewed as impudent, sort of.

This formality is also alive in Europe, but I have found when there, that my supposed betters accept my direct larrikin nature as an endearing Aussie social characteristic, something that allows them to un stiffen if you will. But they continue to see Aussies as back woods, like we view Tasmanians.

OK Trevvo, catch you later.
Posted by sonofgloin, Friday, 17 August 2012 1:40:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Daavid thanks for the good grace to accept that I am sometimes a dill.
Posted by sonofgloin, Friday, 17 August 2012 1:41:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
and illiterate daavid.
Posted by sonofgloin, Friday, 17 August 2012 1:43:05 PM
Dear sonofgloin,

Thank you for your two gracious posts.
Posted by david f, Friday, 17 August 2012 3:41:40 PM
I'd like to think that this interchange between davidf and SOG is now full of Australian traits, (a) "being able to admit it when your wrong, and be prepared to cop your whack for it". And (b) gracious and unqualified acceptance of an apology or retraction without vexation".

I'd stand in a queue with you blokes ! (lol)
Posted by thinker 2, Friday, 17 August 2012 7:03:13 PM
Having David F., as a grandpa would be grand.
And as for SOG - well he's got a good heart.
We're lucky to have met such amazing souls in
cyberspace.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 17 August 2012 7:58:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy