The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why does it cost so much?

Why does it cost so much?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Our shire is putting in a new set of buildings in downtown Strathpine, replacing the library with a new one, a new shopping centre etc. At the Strathpine station a young woman materialised with an elaborate display. She distributed a questionnaire asking for comments on this new development. The display told how all these new buildings were to make Strathpine a 'hub' for activities and commerce in the area. Strathpine is already a hub. I use the library and have never seen it overcrowded. The whole thing seemed unnecessary and even harmful. Rather than a questionnaire asking for comments on this new development it would have been better to ask residents of the area at an earlier date whether they thought such a development was needed or wanted.

Our masters seem unconcerned with the consequences of uncontrolled population growth and put up projects in an anarchic manner with a lack of concern for the economic, social and environmental consequences of such projects.

Candidates for office are required to make public the sources of their campaign contibutions after the elections. Such inforamation should be available to the voters before the election.

Developers and those who have commercial connections with them have too much of a conflict of interest to be allowed to run for office in local or state government. I am purposely avoiding mentioning particular conflicts as olo could be subject to defamation if I did.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 14 June 2012 9:32:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many years back my wife's cousin was a clerk in the Main Roads Dept
in the section installing traffic lights.
To keep them busy they just went looking for places to install lights.
There was no consideration whether they were needed.

Near me bushes were installed in centre of the divided highway.
Problem is that when making a right turn into my street you cannot see
oncoming traffic for the bushes. I have to move to a position almost
in the oncoming lane to see.
This maneuver frequently scares the oncoming driver.
I have complained a couple of times, but instead of removing them
they just cut them back, errr duh !
Are ALL public servants that stupid ?
Hmmm, I was one for five years in my 20s.

PS do you when making a right turn, stand with your wheels already
turned to make the turn ?

You do ! Well it has been nice knowing you, hope you have a nice funeral.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 14 June 2012 9:45:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One thing I am noticing in the lead up to the end of the financial year is the rash of seemingly pointless roadworks being carried out. Clearly the department has to use up its budget in order to be able to claim similar or more for next year. Any surplus in the kitty come July 1 will be frowned upon! To spend money for the sake of spending it is criminal.

David f, I agree that all contributions to electoral candidates on all tiers of government should be declared prior to the election. Haven't we been promised, over and over by successive governments, greater transparency? That would be a good place to start.
Posted by scribbler, Thursday, 14 June 2012 2:02:00 PM
<< One thing I am noticing in the lead up to the end of the financial year is the rash of seemingly pointless roadworks being carried out. >>

Yep I concur with that, scribbler. I’ve just witnessed a prime example of pointless road resealing on the Cook Highway just north of Palm Cove, Cairns.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 14 June 2012 7:57:55 PM
Lawyer, doctors, accoumtans, consultants, even tradesmen and business owners/leaders have indemnity insurance, so why not pollies?

Woud it it be nice to have our billions back.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 14 June 2012 8:22:33 PM
Get a copy of 'back to school' with Rodney Dangerfield and watch the
class room scene where the professor is setting up a ficticious company
and you get the message.
Posted by pepper, Friday, 15 June 2012 3:24:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy