The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How can we protect prime farm land

How can we protect prime farm land

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The loss of prime farm land is a constant concern, as the likes of urban sprawl and gas/coal, exploration/minng will continue to take their toll.

One suggestion would be to have mandatory laws to protect such land and this could be achieved through testing for the likes of PH levels.

Put simply, a government agency would need to carry out a series of simple soil tests, to determine the suitability of land for recognizing it as 'prime' farm land.

If the area in question falls within the peramiters, it simp,y becomes a 'no go, zone.

There is plenty of arid land available to build houses etc, and a few loads of top soil can easily solve the poor soil issues for the green thumbs.

Of cause, there will be the down side, one such being the fact that future generations couldnt take the easy option, of selling to the developers.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 6:04:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mining is out of control in qld and CN wants to take the brakes off.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 7:53:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Careful there rehctub, your are starting to sound like a communist. Who's land is it anyway.

Besides this talk about loss of prime farming land is just that, talk.

In my area, just south of Brisbane, I could take you to thousands of acres of rich black soil river flats, with in a few minutes drive, which is used for nothing more useful than to graze a few old horses.

Farming is such a fools errand today, that no one, under 50 years of age will do it. My area is down to a couple of turf farms, one dairy, & a couple of lucerne growers. The last market gardens stopped trying to make a living years ago.

Incidentally, our Labor governments banned subdivision in my area a few years back. I don't think that was for communist tendencies. It had more to do with better payola, if they gave, [sold perhaps] all development rights to a couple of big players, rather than let us peasants get into the act ourselves.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 9:14:48 AM
Ban all mining and mining exploration on prime agricultural land.
Posted by G R, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 9:48:52 AM
GR I would suggest that the miners shoukd be told to find a way of extracting thier spoils, without disturbing the surface of the land.

If that proves too hard, then so be it.

Has been, I understand your point with regards to subdivision, so perhaps if the land is locked out, in other words, the zoning changed, or rezoning not allowed, then perhaps there needs to be some form of compensation.

I know people who have sat on land for years, thinking they could retire one day by subdividing, only to have their plans foiled by government legislation.

As for river flats being farmed, a large deterrent is insurance on crops, as it can be cost prohibitive.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 12:49:31 PM
Not a problem round here rehctub, our little coastal rivers go up & down in hours.

Even at my place, just below the confluence of 2 irrigation rivers, the water courses are so deep, [about 60/70Ft], that they rarely top their banks.

We have had water over the flats only once in 20 years. That was for only hours, & only a few centimeters deep. Those growing stuff sensitive to wet feet, like lucerne & couch have all laser leveled.

Being a cheep skate, I waited for a big rain to show me the low spots. I lost a few acres of lucerne grading the paddock to fill the low spots. A few hours with a grader, & no problem since.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 8 May 2012 6:22:49 PM
A few thoughts come to mind, demand all minerals vacate farm land.
Stop those who both farm and profit from mining making use of their land.
And just for you Rechtub, what produces the most? farming or mining?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 6:33:15 AM
Belly...

"A few thoughts come to mind, demand all minerals vacate farm land."

The fact is, with-out the mining (last resort) boom, Australia with its 23 million too many, would go deeper into debt to the tune of 5 times the national red hole.

cc
Posted by plant3.1, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 7:29:25 AM
the use it or loose it rule
the abuse it loose it rule

simply make the rule

unproductive taxed double
grow food before fibre
[or better a crop that does multiharvest/croping]

[like that plant in rev 22]..[only it hasnt not only a crop per month..but manyfold harvests]

.as per..issiah..set my people free..
we free the people by freeing up..land..to its most productive use

not abuse..
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 8:56:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OUG....said..[like that plant in rev 22...well maybe you should stop smoking it...lol

You make about as much sence as the out of date book you call freedom.

cc
Posted by plant3.1, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 10:15:38 AM
Goodonya plant 3.1,so you actually took me serious?
Love to know how we separate farm land from minerals!
And yes you are quite right, mining brings big bucks.
Yuppies gobbling up near city farm land, filling it with half sized cattle,Lamas, Ostrich's, then complaining about mining give me the tom tits.
In every business, every single one, we have no right to tell the owners how to run their one.
IF mining damages farm land make them pay the full costs.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 5:29:44 PM
IF mining damages farm land make them pay the full costs. I couldn't agree more. Actually I thought farmers were compensated? Might be bad to inject fracking into the bed rock, however its the governments only Ace card at the moment, and with the new rich yuppies with more dreams than sence, I think we'll see alot more of it.

Belly, its a changing world my friend, and maybe a new thread on the matter just might be whats need.

This NO compo just is not right.

I'll have a dig around.

cc
Posted by plant3.1, Wednesday, 9 May 2012 9:14:13 PM
In every business, every single one, we have no right to tell the owners how to run their one.

Gee Belly, if only governments and unions thought the way you think.

Who knows, owning a business may well become enjoyable again, for staff and owners alike.

Thruth is, you can run your own business any way you like, just so long as you do as you're told.

Anyway, mining V farming.

Of cause mining is much more profitable, however, unlike farming, the land owner does not get the proceeds from the sale, thanks to the thieft from previous governments.

I think mining (CSG) and farming can co exist, in many cases and, once the gas is depleted, the land remains to be farmed at a latter date, costs permitting.

That's provided the coal that the gas came from is not then mined, which is often the plan.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 10 May 2012 7:07:34 AM
Yes rehctub, it is often mined after the gas is extracted, & isn't that a good idea. Should be a requirement of a lease, that the gas is extracted before mining.

Makes more sense to extract the gas, which will be lost to atmosphere during mining, before you start mining.

If only greenies were reasonably logical, they would see it the same way.

But then, greenie & reasonable or sensible, just don't go together.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 10 May 2012 12:39:00 PM
That's pretty funny given the massive extinction and destruction of land that has already occurred in this country *HasBeen*

I expect that in advance of vast tracks of land being destroyed by it turning to salt post cutting down too many trees was also protested by those who had greater ecological understanding and concerns beyond the mindless obsession of short term financial gain.

And some of us are well aware of what some of the forbears of todays farmers and others did to the *Original Australians* aren't we?

The answer to protecting farm land, has amongst the possibilities one very simple answer. Vote for other than red or blue, move to a republic, stop abusing people and children and instate sustainable and universal access to law and medicine.
Posted by DreamOn, Thursday, 10 May 2012 2:49:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy