The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Yumi Part 2 - The feeding frenzy

Yumi Part 2 - The feeding frenzy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I just read some interesting social commentary on the social commentary of the Yumi commentary of the VC medal winner.

There's nothing like stretching a story over a couple of weeks. I don't think all angles are exposed even yet! I wont rest that's for sure!

But this is worth it...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/blogs/blunt-instrument/racism-gender-and-jealousy-yumis-copped-enough-20120307-1uk5f.html

The article is ok, and I think I agree with the tweet of

'Asian. Vagina'

But some of the comments are very interesting.

'The woman is a victim of the media itself. The preference for youth and looks over substance, ability and especially inteligence is simply an example of the media's own misogyny.'

Or ours, reflected in the media?

I agree though. In some way, this is a rejection of the sexism in the media, ironically via gender fuelled abuse at our Yumi. People are sick and tired of bimbos being put on our screen from nowhere just because they look good. Although I wonder if a more credentialled and experienced female opinion giver or 'journalist' would have copped the same abuse anyway.

It has been noted that

'She has achieved little since she was a contest winner VJ on Foxtel, he argued, whereas at least Negus has had a career of some accomplishment. ...The initial comment was made by Stynes about BRS being brainless. She set the tone and Negus followed.'

'...the incident started people started asking who is this Yuma character, and why is she being paid to provide poorly informed, largely irrelevant opinions on our tv? Whilst stupid is an ever growing problem, the vocal on the Internut are very good at spotting it and pointing it out when they see it in the media.
It's more a pitfall of the ever growing need for media content. Be an expert, trained and informed, and people will engage with you. Be not, and people will tear you a new one.'

One could only hope.

I must say I'm an expert on all topics I comment on. I'm free too!
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 8 March 2012 7:18:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i wonderd if it would become a topic
[and it has,,so lets go back to the beginning]

channel 9..[60 minutes?'
had some rather revealing footage of this muscle dude..with plenty of tats..a giant of a man...a doer..who did for his mates..

but is perverted by his own nakedness
into a sexy image adgenda propaganda...coup/by 60 minutes

yummie..[is this teeny wee girl
you could easilly put into your back pack and be carry around

[im sure the hero
would have no problem carrying her..at any rate]

this teeny treat[yummy]
is engaged to be married

*and its only her adjusting
to this new relationship[to that luckey begger]..that she may have gone 'over the top'..refuting..*his obvious attractivness

see yummy ..is one of them..*normal girls
not afraid previously..of saying her mind

[a free spirit..that is/was
an ideal female..rolemoddel

as juxtiposed against
that..god of a man

inside..she was drooling
but then realised..and simply over compensated...!

look
get_off her case

negus...isnt named
in the heading!

that speaks for itself!

[and yummie..dont worry bout them]

just dont change yummie..too much
im sure the bully hasnt..and the hero wont

so end..the feeding frenzie
stop glorifying..'gods' of war

look at the imagry
davidian yummie..brings down
the mightiest warrior mankind..has got

[with a few giggly
girly/girly..words]..lol

give her..the vc
she has more to loose..in all this
Posted by one under god, Friday, 9 March 2012 3:43:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The bimbo should be consigned back to MacDonald's or the hairdressers she came from, & could we arrange to send Negus with her.

I can't imagine anyone, other than his mother, who could actually suggest "Negus has had a career of some accomplishment". I have never heard a sensible word uttered by the man.

I notice that since hiring the fool, the station has been shoving him around all over the place, trying to find something he can do, with so far, no luck. I feel he must be chasing me. Every time I look at something, he turns up, & I switch channels.

Can't we send him back to one of those dreadful bits of guff that the ABC does, that no one ever watches. That is where he has been mostly isn't it?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 9 March 2012 4:04:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Both should be sacked along with whoever made the 'dud root' comment.

Don't have to put up with smart arse idiots.

Let some other station hire them, if they are game.

End of story.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 9 March 2012 4:12:08 PM
Nothing Yumi about her.
She started Negus who knows better joined in as men do to cover her silliness.
Get her out.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 9 March 2012 4:34:29 PM
davidian yummie..brings down
the mightiest warrior mankind..has got

[with a few giggly
girly/girly..words]..lol

Too right OUG!

I like this as it has such a multi-faceted face.

Do they hate her because...

She just isn't funny
She tried to be funny and gets paid for that level of unfunnyness
She's on TV and they aren't
Someone tied them down and made them watch the show
Their off button wouldn't work
The feminists told them blonde jokes are bad
Because YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH
Her vacuousness sucks harder than any vacuum cleaner.
They just hate women
They're racist
They're Sexist
They didn't know the show existed, so felt belatedly appalled that this show existed, and took it out on Yumi.
They don't understand how hard it is to come up with inane comment to fill space and be 100% PC all the time.

I like this one I just read...

'I don't see what all the noise is about. The reasons why Yumi Stynes received harsher treatment than George Negus for the same behavior has less to do with gender than it does with the risk of retaliation. Every attacker in real life or in cyber space chooses their victims based on the attacker's perception of the risks involved in attacking any particular target. The less intimidating the target, the more likely it will be chosen. As you pointed out, these people attacking Yumi Stynes from the safety of anonymity are cowards, and Ms. Stynes is adorable and nonthreatening. Verbally attacking her engenders no risks whatsoever. But Negus is a frightening character. No matter how anonymous, there is the inner fear that Negus will find you. When you are alone. And bore the shite out of you with stories about his teenage escapades. So Yumi is the safer target. If Yumi was a short, thin guy with thick glasses named Allen Shainwooks, it is possible he would be chosen over Negus, too.'

Is George just so boring that you cant hate him?

Did you see her cry about her recent engagement in the middle of apologising?
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 9 March 2012 4:47:27 PM
Ironically, if it wasn't for the social commentary the topic would be dead. Birmo's a good dude and I know him personally (Moko, if you read this) but I think the trolls of the world get to much airplay and seem to become center of the debate when they really are the minority in opinion. The vast majority are equally as annoyed at Negus.

What she and he said was ridiculous and completely so far off base to any concept of reality when it comes to the mental ability of members of the SAS that they both deserve a good kick in the teeth. They got that. Don't give the racist trolls any credibility by arguing with it. Block and delete them.
Posted by StG, Friday, 9 March 2012 6:48:04 PM
Houie,
I never heard of the show or the woman, Negus was known to me a long time ago.

Never watch daytime TV, unlee for some really special event.

Saw the replays though.

Sack em and move on. Neither are worth further discussion.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 9 March 2012 7:04:23 PM
Talk about an overreaction to a spontaneous reactionary comment!

During the immediate fallout I saw interviews where the soldier concerned said he was in no way "offended" by the remark and thought the response was ridiculous and over the top.

Why the ongoing obsession with inflicting some sort of self-righteous vengeance?

If the soldier wasn't personally offended then why should the commentators be made to pay for apparently offending the sensibilities of others?

It's not the soldier you're defending - it's your own confected outrage.

Get a grip. I've seen far worse comments and personal attacks, especially on these forums.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 9 March 2012 8:22:58 PM
We need to ask is free speech worth defending.
This woman has many flocking to defend her because she is a woman.
And good looking.
What next, are any controls to stop silly women seeking fame saying things like this.
About 40% defend her,I will never be one,she must go.
That number want the current campaign to bring the evil murderer of children to court stopped?
Is it so very wrong to say she acted poorly, maybe even planned it for publicity, and should go.
And can those of us who think this, be wrong for saying it but those offended with our views not?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 10 March 2012 6:05:41 AM
Oh come on Belly!

Most people are upset with the nasty comments from BOTH Yumi and Negus, and certainly it is rubbish to say they are letting her off because she is female and attractive.

If that is what the public are doing, then I would hate to see what they said if they were really upset with her!

The older media veteran Negus should have known better, and should have defused the situation on the spot.
I think it was more his fault actually, because he is male and unattractive :)
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 11 March 2012 3:32:50 PM
Yes Sus Negus should have, in my view did know better.
I will not walk away from a view he may well have made his silly remark, to take some heat off her, men,and women, do that in conversation.
Yumi, is ambitious, but foolish.
The program had about 37.000 viewers, I still think it may have been a planned thing.
And that she damaged herself more with a I am sorry that was not believable.
Negus has never been in my view a fool.
Yumi would need fast talking to convince me she is anything other than one
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 11 March 2012 3:53:16 PM
Yes, it may well have been a planned stunt, but it sure backfired!

I read in the paper today that Negus has lost a job or two by sponsors who also support the defense forces in some way.

How anyone could make fun of a hunky guy like that soldier, who is also a father to twins, as well as a brave man by all accounts, is beyond me.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 11 March 2012 5:04:39 PM
George Negus just got better breaks than John Pilger and ran with them, there but for the grace of god, George could soon be reduced to sharing a podium with Mamdouh Habib at Marxism 2012, alongside Pilger.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 11 March 2012 9:23:42 PM
Susie that is the question and the reason it bought about the storm it did.
We see different things and think differently, look only at the post under yours to see that.
Negus, is at the end not the start of a very long and fruitful work life.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 12 March 2012 6:33:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy