The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Online Anonymity - A Blessing or a Curse

Online Anonymity - A Blessing or a Curse

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All
one under god, on Thursday 1 December 2011 at 11:10:43 AM posts:

"i wish..forrest would join in"

`

I hadn't lost interest in the topic, OUG, I simply had to be away for the day attending upon one of the certainties of real life, and I don't mean taxes.

Your comment as to having had five suspensions for your style of writing "... [not meeting word counts] ..." was surprising. The OLO software polices the word limit, throwing up a red-text warning below the posting 'preview' pane if you have exceeded it, and prevents the post from going up until you have edited it to be within the word limit. Because the OLO software treats links differently from ordinary text for word-count purposes, it can appear that a post containing multiple links exceeds the word limit when a viewer copies a post into a text editor and uses a word count tool to check it. Those suspensions must have been for something else.

`

csteele, on Thursday 1 December 2011 at 9:51:40 AM posted:

"Discussions of politics and sex have
generally been regarded as tiresome
in polite society.

Perhaps anonymity and a degree of animosity
just come with the territory."

Yesterday, the upshot of a fairly mildly put and very generalised POV on CSG extraction and feared associated consequences for aquifers was a response that might easily have been understood as expressing agreement with the person that had opened the conversation. I happened to know the respondent held much more strong views on the subject that were not necessarily in agreement with those of the initiator. It was clearly judged to be neither the time nor place for a full and frank discussion. In real life conversation, be it face to face or by correspondence under real names, there seems amongst most to be an over-arching reluctance to give offence, and I suspect that this is extensively interpreted as agreement with leaders of public conversations when it in reality may be nothing of the sort.

Pseudonymity on OLO frequently assists in overcoming such inhibitions.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 2 December 2011 7:27:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
if only i did get banned for my sharp cutting wit
but no..it was what it was
[i told grayham he has got word count to sort it...
but no it escalated till my last suss pension was 1 month]

and if thats the price for free speach i gladly pay it
[lets face it i get a lot into a post...[cause if i dont its hardly worth posting..[wasting the post]

i love some of the page vieuws you put up
and how sharp your posting styl;e is...[i mean your not being at the other topic i put up the link for[another creation/evolution debate]

your an ecpurt at the genes thing...and im allsway having to explain simple things...like species/genus...and like genotype[looks like]..and genotype...[is genticly linked [related]

se the isue is stone fossils..got no dna
a link i put up says most fossile dead end[went extinct]

thus using them to make a picture[based on looks like phentype]..dont prove the linkage of mutation ONLY genotype can validate scientificly..

also the lack of...definitie names
of the first living 'thing'
plus what it evolved into

i know the THEORY of evolution just aint got that far

plus the huge gaps..between every species
then the distractions..and having to correct their error of fact or deliberated twisting..of things they claim i said

with your page vieuws
i could slam em

but they gone silent allready anyhow
its frustrating..its usually at this stage
'someone complains...about the word limit and im gone till the topic expires...lol

anyhow you at least know eucalypts
stezza claims to know bacteria
between us

we could actually get somewhere closer
to either or the other

i just want to know
in what order/how god done it
you guys need to know..as much as i do
but you cutys claim to have 'the science'..i know its only a theory

and yes mr bell..i use it the same way
i dislike mr as well..

so belly ol/brother..ol/mate..it is

or bob...[belly ol brother]
Posted by one under god, Friday, 2 December 2011 1:24:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OUG at a guess it was your habit of posting many links in your posts.
Normally they do not count but some one said you had found away to increase your limit.
Forrest my wishes re your absence.
OUG bob? he is my brother.
Now 30 years after my dad died his home town folk call me by his name.
Belly anything, but Mr.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 2 December 2011 3:54:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ok mate cause i do really luv ya
belly it is

but mate [bom bob]
might be my next choice to mr

if i use mr..bom bob
mr [best ol mate..belly my brother]
might be trying to take the joke too far

re forrest
my [good ol educated mate]
who agrees with the evolution..theory

it is unfair to ask you to help demolish the theory
[to embarris it into revealing more fact
cause they will never admit its only a theory]

as hard as it is to allow that god done it
harder is..watching all them decieved into thinking science dun it

ignorance of science terminology
is all im asking you to judge or clarify

im only using your language
using science words and science nomoculture

how else to get at the truth

the facts are clear

evolutions [of genus].,accorded to science ....none recorded
evolutions accorded to god created..'natural mechanisms...all*

the science stands mute
cause its a theory of evolution
many facts..but not one faulsifyable..*change of genus

all eucalypts are eucalypts
no half eucalypt half wattle
what geneticly is the nearest living relitive to a eucalypt

regardless i will continue the conversation
knowing their silence is cause they got nuthin

it being written
the foolish shall confound the wise
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 3 December 2011 7:02:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 3 December 2011 7:02:35 AM:

"re forrest
my [good ol educated mate]
who agrees with the evolution
..theory

it is unfair to ask you to
help demolish the theory"

OUG, I don't think I have ever posted a single word in this Forum (or any other) on the topic of evolution, either directly or in passing reference. I would be most interested if you are able to quote any such comments by me and post links thereto. Given that, to my knowledge, I have never posted a single word on the topic, I am at a loss to understand how you could have claimed that I am one "... who agrees with the evolution .. theory". It is a subject on which I have chosen not to engage in discussion.

There is a fair bit of latitude given on OLO with respect to diversions from the topic, especially in the General Discussions area of the Forum, but to pursue this one here would be to disrespect both the opening poster, and OLO as a discussion forum in generality. It is a matter perhaps more for self-discipline of posters, than for moderation intervention, but it would be unwise to under-estimate the destructiveness of unrestrained posting off-topic to OLO as a site.

Deliberate posting off-topic appears to be a tactic used by some in attempts to shut down particular discussions that might appear to be making points, or eliciting points of view, of which some posters disapprove.

Returning to the question as to whether online anonymity is a blessing or a curse, I consider bonmot's post of Sunday, 27 November 2011 at 6:38:48 AM very relevant. I suspect OLO is gaining much more traction than perhaps for which it gives itself credit. From bonmot's linked news OPINION item:

"... But lately, as more popular websites
provide for public comments, the sheer amount
of negative content means that users are starting
to push back."

Traditional gatekeepers, or aspirant would-be-gatekeepers, feeling threatened, are resorting to bullying and threats.

http://twitter.com/#!/GrogsGamut/status/140658101446643712

http://twitter.com/#!/abcthedrum/status/141617283259838464
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Saturday, 3 December 2011 10:10:47 AM
thank you Forrest Gumpp just had my first ever and second look at twitter because of your links.
I will continue to post here only.
But on subject,I doubt we need to do other than what we are in relation to names.
I listened to an ABC story about blogs and such and yes some are far worse than others.
I live well within my budget, go without nothing.
And am waiting for contributions to start, yes know I am getting to be a bore but things get done after people get active.
This site needs some to put a few minutes a side and think what is the right to be part of it worth.
Graham knows, I told him, if I need to be put in the sin bin so be it,site comes first.
I will go away but again with the tin rattling.
GY, I will still afford my market days and more let my donation start!
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 3 December 2011 4:13:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy