The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this fair

Is this fair

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
It is now common practice for many air travers to search the net for the best deals they can find, and why shouldn't they, it's a free country.

Yet, the likes of Qantas is not privy to the same luxury, as, when they make plans to get the best deal they can, they cop flack.

Is this fair?
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 31 October 2011 5:34:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not even close to under standing that.
Think Quantas.
First thoughts, what comes to mind
SAFETY. Queensland and Northern Territory air services.
Australian, Kangaroo.
Let us now consider what I think/guess you want to say.
Competing air lines all of them, cost less to travel with.
Quantas costs more.
I think you have, sorry if I am wrong, those HOB NAILED BOOTS ON.
And march up and down the spine of the unionists involved, blaming the strike they had in place for the grounding.
Dreadful Pilots! had they not insisted in wearing RED TIES?
red blast it? COMRADES!
Pilots in red ties, the grounding soon stopped that lot.
Now yes let Quantas become Asian,force lower wages and less Australian jobs.
It in truth will happen.
Get closer Rechtub, whispering do not want those others to hear ok.
The laws/rules put in place to protect Quantas from overseas competition on its Australian/some international routes?
If we get rid of them we can drop prices even more.
What say we run a comp, you and me, what will replace the flying Kangaroo on the back?
Water Buffalo? Sacred Ibis is my pick it flys a long way comes here too.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 6:07:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
great idea
i will apply it to bying my meat
who needs butchers..selling fat as meat

thanks clubbers
lets all by by cheapest cuts..dont support your local butcher
support the multinational..who does it by slave wages
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 6:56:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Slave wages' eh?

Here's an ad' for baggage handlers:

Baggage Handlers - QANTAS - view or apply
Employment service providers - 1445 - Rosebery NSW
Baggage handlers are needed for lifting 25kg repetitively to move and place baggage and parcels to carousel. Applicants must be fit and strong. Previous labouring or pick and pack experience is essential. $20.40 per hour day rate with early morning, late night, and weekend penalty rates. 24/7 rotating roster.
From JobSearch - 30+ days ago

I found a swag of articles on work injuries from lifting 32 kg bags in holds on knees, being forced to drop out of cargo hatches onto the tarmac and various other WHS imbecilities from QANTAS managers and owners in the hunt for profit.

Also, found a TWU flyer from about 2009 where they were complaining about shortages of staff forcing long overtime hours, hence wages higher than the $40k base rate.

Slave wages? QANTAS has slave wages and slave conditions right now.

But not for the greedy CEO, of course.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 7:52:09 AM
One involves deciding to do business with someone or not.

The other involves agreeing to do business with someone and making a contract- motivating that someone to make bookings and other transactions- and then turning around and reneging, leaving them thousands of dollars out of pocket- all because you wanted to blackmail someone.

That aside, were Qantas still a public company, this 'fair idea' wouldn't have even been considered, as they were in a position of responsibility to the country.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 8:09:52 AM
I was just musing after reading some of these posts just how much times have changed.

I started as snork (apprentice) at Qantas Empire Airways, as it was back then, in 1958.

My first year take home pay was less than $10 a week. I lived in a boarding house with no financial support. I washed cabs after hours to survive.

I graduated 5 years later. My graduation certificate being handed to me with congratulations and a handshake from Sir Hudson Fysh, one of the founders of Qantas.

It was a moment of pride. One moment remembered.

I know things have to change and I have been part of the changes here and there but I feel something has been lost along the way in this country of ours. I thought I was lucky to be where I was all those years ago, struggle that it was.

Just a comment.

SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 9:16:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy