The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Malaysia Solution or Disaster

Malaysia Solution or Disaster

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I agree Lexi. As far as I'm aware, the people smugglers could be described as "criminals" (when they are caught they are charged and if found guilty - they mostly are - sentenced).

But assylum seekers? How can anybody (Hasbeen included) know they are "criminals" until they have been assessed/processed according to our laws. I think the stats show that the vast majority of assylum seekers (boat people for the sake of it) have been shown to be genuine refugees anyway - not criminals at all.

On another point, it seems Abbott has been given access to independent expert and department advice that the Malaysian solution is good, better than Nauru, and will "stop the boats". It appears Abbott just wants 'the power' more than his droning concern for stopping the boats. Indeed, according to Abbott, the experts are again wrong, as too the departments he always seems to alienate.

Personally, I can't see how Nauru will stop more boats than the Malaysian option. Nor can I see how processing "boat people" on the Mainland will stop the boats either. In fact, I think the Green's solution would encourage more boats to take the dangerous voyage and as a consequence, more lives would be at risk.
Posted by bonmot, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 10:35:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear bonmot,

I've really got nothing new to add to this debate.
I've said it all. All I can hope for is that this
matter will be settled some time soon - with
politicians finally stopping to make political mileage
out of this issue.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 11:18:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Has anyone noticed our illustrious leader Gillard is screaming foul, that Abbott will not vote for the Malaysia solution.

Although I am in agreement with that solution, I do find it a little strange that she can attack & denigrate the leader of the opposition for not voting with her, while saying not a single word against her coalition partner, Bob Brown, for not voting with her.

A very strange morality rules this dreadful woman.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 7:33:45 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

Thanks for sharing your opinion of the Prime Minster
with us - over and over again.

We get it.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 7:38:56 PM
Regarding the "moral" stance of Julia Gillard on the question of sending asylum seekers offshore without due regard to Australia's humanitarian obligations...yep, I'd question her morality on that one -
...but then, Hasbeen, you're in full agreement with her on that particular arrangement.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 7:46:14 PM
Let's leave morality out of this, if morality has no place in a political debate over same sex marriage it has no place anywhere in public life.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 10:36:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All