The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The hot air tax: tax less to spend more

The hot air tax: tax less to spend more

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Tony Abbott doesn't tell lies - he just changes his mind.

hahahahahahahahahaha
Posted by bonmot, Thursday, 14 July 2011 8:10:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear RObert,

Howard didn't have a mandate for WorkChoices.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:12:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@R0bert: Her words were clear enough, if she can't lead the government and keep her word on the plain meaning then it should go back to the electorate.

Seeing that coming from most people R0bert I'd just let it go by, but I have more respect for you.

When Gillard made her promise I presume she had done her home work and ensured the her party was willing to go through with it. And the converse is also true: if we elected Labor, we would have have every right to expect Gillard and Labor to keep their promise.

The problem is we didn't hold up our end of the bargin. We didn't put Gillard into power. Instead we elected something that is neither fish not fowl, that Gillard happens to be part of. You can't blame her for not foreseeing this. No one foresaw it.

And you don't have to take my word for it: just ask Tony Abbott. He makes the point over and over again that Gillard isn't running the country. And he is right. But the fact that he is right means he is wrong on in claiming the government we elected is breaking it's promise. That promise was given by Labor. We didn't elect Labor.
Posted by rstuart, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:45:47 AM
Lexy, I thought you were more clear thinking than that.

You could say Gillard conned, or lied her way into the lodge, but you could never say she "won", when she had to con a very large part of the electorate to get their vote. Without the promise to not introduce a carbon tax, she would have lost.

The only things that have changed since the election is a great increase of evidence that refutes the whole global warming theory, & a continued, & accelerating, cooling of the planet.

Perhaps you have been busy watching what is going on in Canberra, & have not noticed the unprecedented behaviour of the sun, unprecedented at least to our knowledge. It would appear our understanding of the physics of stars, is even less complete than our understanding of earths climate, & in fact much more important, for our future

I saw work choices as just as big a mistake for Oz as you do, but if you are honest you will admit one major difference.

Howard did not have a mandate for work choices, but he had not promised not to do it.

Julia has a mandate "NOT" to introduce a carbon dioxide tax, & promised not to do it.

Any one who can not see that difference is not being honest with themselves.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:46:29 AM
Lexi,

You claim that Howard did not have a mandate for work choices.

Given that he went to the election clearly intending IR reform, your claim is a little weak.

Perhaps you could justify this?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:54:54 AM
Well it's clear that Tony Abbott is the soul of consistency : )

Just ask Malcolm Turnbull.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-13/malcolm-turnbull-climate-change-policy-2793604
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:57:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy