The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tablet Computers - Game Changers?

Tablet Computers - Game Changers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
'I just think there are heaps
of applications I haven't even thought of yet.'

As I said, a solution looking for a problem.

Oh the privelege of our lives when our needs are so taken care of, and even our wants are so taken care of we buy something then figure out what it may be useful for.

Come now slaves, I need more shiny trinkets. Maybe I'll get one for my cat while you toil away for a piece of bread.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 26 May 2011 10:55:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*Oh the privelege of our lives when our needs are so taken care of, and even our wants are so taken care of we buy something then figure out what it may be useful for.*

Not quite so Houllie, for of course some of the uses were clear
beforehand and justified the price. I just think that alot more
uses will evolve and tablets might change the way that we do
a number of things.

As to buying them, I'd suggest that anyone on OLO could buy one,
its just a question of priorities, how we each spend our money.
I don't do drugs or the pokies, pay for no kids etc. So its
purely a question of choice, even for you.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 26 May 2011 11:12:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh come on yabby, why aren't you impressed with my social conscience? Other people get all this kudos for caring about the plight of others, and when I try it, it doesn't work. Oh well.

Hey about priorities, I would rather a gram of coke, one night of exhilaration and dirty sex than 3 years of reading the paper on a tablet rather than on my pc at work.

PS: You don't have to justify your purchase. Even to yourself;-
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 26 May 2011 11:33:00 AM
Houllie, not so in my case, I do try and justify what I do and spend,
even to myself.

It comes from having been self employed virtually all my life. Its
not like you can blow the paycheck and then another one arrives next
week.

I've never tried coke and maybe luckily so. I have enough vices
without adding any more :) As to the dirty sex, well that is
great on its own. It seems to me though, that women change. In
their 20s-30s, they will have great sex just for the fun of it.

In their 50s, many focus on the grandkids and become more calculating.
They'll have great sex when they want something from you.

As to the tablets, I noticed this morning that the first ones are
being offered much like phone plans. Sign up for 7gigs a month at
50 bucks and they will throw one in as part of the deal.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 26 May 2011 2:47:02 PM
Dear Yabby,

I'm jealous. My Iphone has been a revelation although I could have cheerfully thrown it against the wall the first few days I had it.

I thought I might be so bold as to recommend some apps I thought a fellow OLOer might like.

The ABC app is a given. Can be a bit clunky on live view but my go to news source over 50% of the time. Watching Insiders on a Sunday morning while still in bed with a cuppa and toast is a treat. With the pad you can also access Iview which is a bonus.

BBC News app is okay but not as friendly as it could be. Pretty slow at times.

Al Jazeera app is brilliant. Probably my favourite. The live feed is usually quick and fairly stable. Some great programs, extremely good looking presenters, and with a technology/social media program I try not to miss.

Huffington Post app is one I go to for longer dissertations. Their religion section is hard to beat.

PBS News hour app is better than average for American political news and I did like the 'push notification' last week that let me know the space shuttle was launching in 10 minutes and gave me a live feed.

Pretty amazing thinking I was sitting in a kitchen in country Victoria watching a space launch on my telephone after being tapped on the shoulder. I'm old enough to appreciate how much things have changed in my lifetime.

For something slightly right of centre try the Free Domain Radio app. Quirky but addictive.

Oz Weather app is pretty good especially having the ability to easily set it for where ever you are. The radar tab is good for me as knowing how long I will be rained off a job is very handy.

All the apps are free and I'm assuming all have Ipad applicability. Oh and 'At the Movies' is worth a look.

I have many others of course but probably more taste specific.

Cont..
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 26 May 2011 5:56:22 PM
Cont..

Itunes U (university) from the Itunes store is very rich in content. All free. I am currently making my way through four video lectures on the King James Bible from Oxford University. Their first year philosophy series is great. The New York Public Library lectures are brilliant. The last one I downloaded was Dr Oliver Sacks, an absolute treat.

Religion 101 from Missouri University series is worth a look as are Stanford University Hoover Institution talks. TED talks are tops as well.

Then you have the normal podcasts from Big Ideas, C-Span, Times Talks etc.

Enjoy.
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 26 May 2011 5:57:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy