The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tax by stealth on workers wages to return the surplus

Tax by stealth on workers wages to return the surplus

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Howard also made deep cuts in essential services and sold off everything that wasn't nailed down. He also cooked the books by deliberately neglecting to fund Commonwealth Super for several years and the Future Fund was created to restore that imbalance. A pity they had to sell Telstra to do it.

That future fund is actually to fund Commonwealth pensions - the ones that only politicians and the defined benefit scheme that the Public Service "old guard" in Commonwealth Super get - not aged pensions as some are led to believe.

Most of his tax cuts were also aimed at the same higher income earners that are now bleating about caps in their welfare payments.

All government funds come from taxation (but I do recall Costello lost a billion on failed currency swaps).

Also "what wage rises?"
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 16 May 2011 1:23:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles and Pelican,

" there are only two ways to return to surplus, Raise taxes, or cut government spending."

Precisely

When the economy is nearing full employment, why is the public service at record levels? Why is the government spend higher than ever?

If the government simply cut down on some of its more ridiculous projects, there would be no problem getting back to surplus. For example I saw a brand new 81cm LCD /DVD player on sale for $250. Why on earth spend $350 on propping up obsolete TVs?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 16 May 2011 5:32:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While still thinking this thread is built in shifting sands this mornings polls need looking at.
Many are unhappy with my prodding my own party but today is the day to take notice.
Tony Abbott,his team,and some we know here,are selling their policy's.
Voters are buying them, well the policy, say anything even if untrue.
Now like in 1973.74.75,Labor is assisting, it is constantly changing direction, and jumping about like a live prawn on a BBQ.
Medea is slanted Gillard gone but my party lacks the heart to get the job done.
My fantasy posts in another thread, taking the roll of a new ALP leader is a prediction, the fire escape and the only one,for Labor.
Truth, even our country's interests are not even on the agenda, Medea/ Abbott are intent on removing government.
And will.
Another prediction, remember 74% supported climate change action once, Medea and Abbott killed that, and will kill this government,without change. Abbott has got away with not telling us his policy's, not being his real self,once in office he would become even less popular.
But without change, rebuilding a backbone removing the Gillard/Crean left overs from Latham my party is doomed.
Greens too but they will never recover from the coming fall, unable to compromise they have lost touch with reality.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 16 May 2011 5:53:53 AM
Belly "John Howard wasted our mining boom number one with endless tax cuts"

I don't tend to think that taking less of what I earn from me is a waste. I'd rather get to make the choices about how my income is spent than have the government do it for me. Middle Class welfare - the ineffective tax cut you have when you are not having a tax cut. Part of the problem is that governments decide to help a sector which often pushes prices up and then they need to start subsidising more people for the cost of using that sector.

The same old issue of how do we help the genuinely needy without hurting others.

I do agree with the point made earlier about surplus's though, too much of it's an indicator that they are probably not spending on what they should spend on and are gouging too much from taxpayers.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 16 May 2011 6:28:34 AM
i have been waiting for the visuals[graphs]
to the surplus to be revealed

from what i know/hear
the deficite is steadilly climbing...up
but between now and soon..[2013?]

then
the graph plummets away to zero
[much like a stockmarket collapse]
now this indicates a huge influx of cash
[the only inflow to govt with cash...is the unmentioned 'big new tax']

at 25 bucks a tom
it reaps in 13.5 billion

at $50 it reaps in
over 25 million

so that budget[before it dolls it all back out again
mainly to its mates]..will read...'balanced'

but as we will then realise..
be only balanced..like a knife at your throat
is 'balanced'..[with your very survival being]..'in the balance'..

visualisations on the means to surplus
get very strong imagry...on the big new tax..

*incomes
and their indexed..
increases..
Posted by one under god, Monday, 16 May 2011 7:47:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ok acually its too simple
there is of course the 8?..billion
from smokers

and the tax trade-off
with the minning tax/payers...[players]

[funny how 4 mil smokers..get their tax OVERNIGHT...
and the rich few miners..get to 'negotiate'..for years

clearly revealing..*who govt 'SERVES'

but ask where is the money comming from
from you ya mugs

howhard gave 25 billion to the 'average incomes'
that dug a huge hole..[clever sabotage from jonny]
giving out the cake..to his own

bring back death duties on all ausies
and ausie expats...

thats the ozzie way to created a ski-jump graph
stop taxing the allready poor[based on lies and spin]

social cost of smoking[31 billion]
but social costs are total of all cost's..including taxes we PAY
or buildings we build...or income from shops selling a LWEGAL product

medical costs for smoking is 800 million[medical cost]
how this was sold by spin was 31 billion[social costs]

your too clever by half juliar
you and yer mug backdoor guys in the backroom

and worse
toney abbot and costello
or the big gruff bear..or the lowly['x' bwanker]

sack federal govt alltogether
mandate set fes for extraction of set resources
install tarrifs on exported minerals/metals...

we got a job shortage
because the jobs are short term
needing new 'infastructure'..in places
no one will be living in 20 years..[when the minning jobs are done]

and the frakked gas wells
have poluted the waters of the deep/seep[the basin]
Posted by one under god, Monday, 16 May 2011 8:12:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy