The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Long live John Robertson!

Long live John Robertson!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/03/30/1226031/002620-my-part.jpg

As a long term liberal supporter, with great joy I welcome John Robertson to leadership of the NSW Labor, and wish him a lengthy stay.

John with his short term in politics has done more for the liberals than almost any one else. As an ex trade union leader, he will be able to win the left wing votes back from the greens, but leave the middle ground free for the Liberals.

BOF will be able to govern without the worry of serious opposition.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 31 March 2011 7:07:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is deeply ironical that one of the bigger issues that deeply eroded the popularity of the NSW Labor government was privatisation; particlarly the privatisation of the Electricity supply -which Robertson so effectively opposed.
The irony is that the Labor side was (traditionally) supposed to protect working people from privatisation of public utilities. When they let us down, the only way working people can express contempt is by electing the party which is even more in favour of profit motives for public services.
Posted by Grim, Thursday, 31 March 2011 6:55:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
About time an anti-privatization pollie was in charge of the party (and so many crooked pro-privatization members abandoned ship).

The only question is, will there be enough honest people (well, honest compared the mob ruling us for the past decade) replacing the ranks to ensure this lone member is not sidelined.

And will it stand as a warning to the libs not to try some shenadigans themselves if the opposition might actually stand for something (though it may well not- we'll have to wait and see).
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 1 April 2011 8:26:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For reasons far different than Shadow Minister I share this threads title, and the view long may he lead us.
Robo is no stranger to me, he is a man of true merit.
As he said during his speech after being elected there is much more to him.
Old grumpy, out of touch PK made a right fool of himself.
It was Labor that left its members, criminals that controled a great deal of the actions that saw us, me too, rise to our feet and remind our party it was not theirs to miss use.
I remind SM and others that if Robo was ex bosses union,say master builders he would be welcomed with open arms into Liberal ranks.
Can it be,truly, that any trade unionist is a lessor Australian , unless he is business union?
Robo has form, he lead the work choices fight he is a future state Premier, think about that, I think it know it.
He can win back government, he will lead a reformed and chalenging ALP.
In just months,with Big Barry, a good and honest bloke doing a good job, no one with balance will not see Robo has what it takes.
Australian Politics needs a clean up the Toxic Abbott Tea Party style is hurting our contry.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 1 April 2011 5:23:38 PM
For my mind it seems the NSW Labor government hasn't learn't anything from the massacre of just 2 weeks ago in the election. Installing a conservative, former trade unionist is not the way to move forward for a party that prides itself on working for EVERYONE as Julia Gillard would put it. I would have liked to see the popular and more credible Carmel Tebutt or Verity Firth contest the leadership.
Posted by Chance, Monday, 4 April 2011 12:40:34 PM
Hear Hear Belly.
Here's what I think of Paul bloody Keating, and John Robertson:
http://thecomensality.com/avasay/the-once-and-always-hypocritical-paul-keating/feed
Chance, I think John Howard can attest that the majority of Australians were opposed to Work Choices -which Robertson effectively opposed- and most are also opposed to privatisation of public utilities.
I think we have been (all politicians) cha cha-ing to the right for too long already. We are way to the right of centre.
Let's get back to being an egalitarian, fair go nation. Have a serious gecko at the USA. Is that really where we want to go?
Posted by Grim, Monday, 4 April 2011 1:14:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

Trade unionists seldom get to the top by methods useful in managing a large economy. Robo as you refer to him has yet to display any qualities that other than a one dimensional stirrer. He has the backing of the unions, but has a long way to go to convince the majority of non unionised NSW.

Australian politics needs a clean up of the duplicitous incompetent style of Juliar.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 4 April 2011 3:09:52 PM
How can a man like you know John Robinson Shadow Minister?
What do you know of him, how close have you followed him?
From what depth of information do you judge him and unionists.
Are you aware[ serious question you may well not be] of the amount of trade unionists who made it.
Wayne Swan, Bob Hawk heard of him?
And just how many came out of industry and big business, even returned there from your side.
Is there in your mind reason to think conservatives are better than workers?
I know John ,he will blossom, he is not never was the problem.
He is the answer.
REMEMBER Labor voters gave Barry his job, without great change they will continue to vote for him, not their party of life times.
NSW has seen the lost greens find out dreams of leftist policy's hidden behind a dead and inactive greens /conservationists name are not working.
Your insulting and uniformed slur on Robo is in my view uninformed.
As was you 60% chance Hanson was going to win a seat.
Hear again I take you on, in three years, with one to run before the NSW election Barry and you will know Robo is no push over no lefty loony but a leader fit to lead any section of my party.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 8 April 2011 7:47:05 AM
Having spent some time negotiating with unions and with shop stewards, my personal experience is that most shop stewards have the concerns of their colleagues at heart, but the unions officials from outside often have their own agenda, that they are quite prepared to push ahead of the interests of their members.

John Robertson has done nothing to distance himself from this stereotype. So while not knowing him personally, from what I have seen and read about him, and what he did to shaft the labor party, I have full confidence that he is no threat to the liberals.

Swan and Hawke, Both were graduates who did work for the union. Hawke, privatised industries, compared to JR who opposes them, and Wayne Swan has actually achieved very little.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 8 April 2011 10:31:21 AM
I am Rather chuffed that I was on first name terms and true friendship with many bosses over the negotiation tables.
And in every day union/work site business.
That I was very often invited by them to attend sites and help fix problems.
Also that as many of them as union members have stopped in to see me at home.
Equally proud to have known John Robinson and far more great trade unionists now in Parliaments all over this country.
Bill Shorten is another.
Behind your post Shadow Minister you avoid telling me how you got your information on Robo, you even seem not to be aware that has been the name he is and always was known by.
I am happy to have gone on record, clearly you will eat humble pie on this issue.
Preconceived thoughts and ideas based on pure bias are of no value, except to me, you help me win on this issue within months not years the very long trip back will be under way,Robo put the first few in the day he took over.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 8 April 2011 6:33:02 PM
Dear Belly,

Don't be put off by the comments of SM. I got quite excited when I first saw the title of this thread. I thought, "Wow, what a turnaround for SM." And at the same time I couldn't help wondering, - "Would Tony Abbott let him say that?" Then of course I read SM's opening post and same, old, same old. However, I then thought that perhaps SM could be influenced. After all John Robertson and Action Man Abbott have something in common. Robertson swims 1.5km every day.

As a former electrician Robertson just may be able to hot-wire a stalled machine without having to rely on any religious position to do so. (smile).
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 8 April 2011 7:52:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy