The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > At last we queenslanders may have an option.

At last we queenslanders may have an option.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Ludwig >>Oow hold on. Unfortunately he probably won’t need to be seen to be better than Bligh at all, just different. In fact, the majority of the votership would probably vote for him simply because he isn’t Bligh, and is someone with a bit of a public profile that can engender a certain degree of respect. In other words, he’ll probably get voted in by default, because people are sick of the incumbent

That pretty much sums it up, well said!
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 24 March 2011 5:12:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Lawrence Springborg that there is something very wrong with the elevation of Campbell Newman to effective leader of the LNP, just out of the blue... and long before he is even an elected member of parliament!

This is new political territory, and new legal territory I should imagine. It seems to be totally beyond the bounds of the Westminster system, if not in legal detail, then certainly in intent, and therefore surely wide open to legal challenge.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 25 March 2011 10:05:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, Anna Bligh can always call an early election, IF SHE IS GAME!

You see, they (labor) are very very scared right now. At last there is a possible alternative for Queen slanders and they know it.

I have often said that all that the LNP needed was a 'trained monkey' as a leader and labor would fall, well, we have better than that.

Labor, the greens and the independents will all be S...ting themselves today after the outcome of the NSW election.

My prediction is that Anna will come out next week and try to divert her focus back to the 're-building' and not the election as any thoughts of calling it early would have been dealt a serious blow.

She will then run a campaign based on the 'what if's', what if CN does not win the seat, then what.

After all, it's about her only real option.

One down, two to go.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 27 March 2011 7:11:06 AM
<< At last there is a possible alternative for Queen slanders and they know it. >>

Nah rehctub. I reckon most Queenslanders won’t see much of an alternative at all. Anyone in the old-fartish age range (about 35 and over) will know that there ain’t a hoot of real difference between the bloomin Liborials and Laborials!

As per my previous comments, neither of them are going to go against the vested-interest manic pro-growth big business lobby or the absurd belief that we’ve got to be constantly and forever rapidly expanding everything or else we’ll fall into severe economic recession. And that means that they are not going to address growth-pressure issues in any meaningful way.

I think that the most we can hope to see from Campbell Newman is more addressing of the SYMPTOMS of rapid expansionism, as we have seen from him before – tunnels and bridges and new roads… but not a hint of any policy that would actually slow the growth rate and put us on a path towards a stable population.

He’ll just implement things that will FACILITATE rapid population growth and hence dig Queensland (especially SEQ) into a deeper and deeper hole!

Unfortunately, he has gained a positive reputation from this sort of ‘can-do’ stuff. But I’m afraid it just isn’t the right sort of approach at all, at least not in the absence of growth-mitigation policies.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 27 March 2011 3:41:30 PM
Ludwig and rehctub,
I just started to read this thread tonight and was interested to see your exchnges. Surprised that you both agree on much, as I know Ludwig is anti high immigration and rehctub is a business man and business generally favours high immigration.

Incidently Davids post was also interesting as i think there will continue to be high population shift to SEQ as long as the Feds maintain a high immigration policy. Strange situation is that the Feds run immigration but the states have to provide the additional infastructure.

I saw a report by a retired builder that nearly half the homes flooded in Brisbane were constructed since 1974. In my town no home building is allowed in known flood areas, so how come? It would seem to me that the State or City council were very incompedent, or worse, to allow development and home building in the flood prone areas.

I know Jim Sooley was Lord mayor of Brisbane for years when Labor ran the show. How long has Newman and the LNP been in charge?
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 30 March 2011 9:44:15 PM
David,
In your post to Ludwig you said "At the Cairo population conference representatives of the Catholic Church joined representatives of Islam in opposing population planning. They supported the Islamic objection to education for women in return for Islamic support for their opposition to birth control and abortion".

Canyou tell me when the Cairo conferrence was held and any oother details. Also some verifacation of what you said, even a media article will do.

I am not questioning what you said and I take it you are aware of the low birthrate in Iran. They showed that birthrates can be lowered.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 1 April 2011 8:48:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy