The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Legal asylum applications in Indonesia 9% successful with 10 year wait. Boats 70%, 1 year wait.

Legal asylum applications in Indonesia 9% successful with 10 year wait. Boats 70%, 1 year wait.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/jumping-asylum-queue-pays-off/story-fn59niix-1225975665987

As long as the boat people have 10x the success rate of legal asylum seekers, they will keep coming.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 24 December 2010 11:22:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM

Do you know what percentage of boat people die in the attempt? And how much revenue do boat people generate for organised criminals?

I dont see how the system is morally different from getting asylum seekers to run across a mine field to greatly increase their chance of asylum, with organised criminals selling the tickets. Oh yes, and Australia, as a signatory to a United Nations convention is obliged to continue the insanity. Better handled by Monty Python. At least it is funny when it is make believe.
Posted by Fester, Monday, 27 December 2010 5:46:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Obviously the assesment is better performed in Indonesia. So it means Australia must fund refugee housing in Indonesia so the legal avenues for refugees entering Australia is better performed.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 11:40:20 AM
A typical Shadow Minister post completely missing the point as usual in order that some party propaganda line be aired.

It just doesn't wash, it's boring, misleading and disgraceful criticism in order that a political point be scored.

Advocating the barbaric policies of less civilised places as preferable to the Gillard Govt's (Abbott like) me too position,
is indicative of the pure self interest motivating this type of divisive rubbish.

Thank heaven's, that knocking for the sake of it, doesn't get you anywhere,
and until our Govt stops being afraid of taking a principled position
on boat people, they too will continue to have no traction with the electorate.

As for the Coalition opposition, can you at least go away for christmas and give us and rhetoric a break, at least until parliament resumes.

If you can knock, block, stifle, intimidate, whinge and complain your way to Gov't ;
if that's all it takes?, then it just proves that Australia and it's peoples intellect are not worth a tinkers cuss,
and we are truly in trouble, our very future on the line.

My advice to the Coalition is go and get some policies. Making the Govt's job more difficult is not the role of an opposition,
being a viable and actual alternative is.

Please do that for a change and see how that goes.
Posted by thinker 2, Friday, 31 December 2010 5:08:24 PM
Thats a lot of bluster, thinker2, and very little substance. Perhaps you can tell us why ShadowMinisters statistic is not instructive?
Posted by PaulL, Friday, 31 December 2010 8:02:57 PM
PaulL,
I have to agree thinker 2's thinking is nothing more than his emotive thoughts. No substance or answer to the asylum seekers plight.
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 2 January 2011 11:54:51 AM
Gee, 10 times the success rate? As the figures comprise of mainly *Howard era* refugees, I guess shadow minister want's the *Coalition's* refugee policy dismantled. I'm glad to have cleared that up.
Posted by Hmmmm!, Sunday, 2 January 2011 12:11:14 PM
Apropos the lower UN level of approvals, here’s something interesting I came across on my wanderings through cyberspace:
“A total of eight illegal Rohingya immigrants… were arrested by the Navy for having false immigration documents from the UNHCR”
http://www.demotix.com/news/358472/indonesian-navy-arrests-illegal-immigrants-rohingya-myanmar

It seems that not all documents that are proported to be UNHCR clearances are UN derived.So the real approval rate by the UN may actually be even lower than stated in ShadowMinisters post.

I wonder how many got into Australia with such bogus clearances?
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 2 January 2011 12:58:11 PM
These figures were from the last year, not during the Howard era.

What it shows is that paying the $15000 to get on a boat vastly increases your chances of getting permanent residence in Australia.

If I was a cashed up "refugee" I would certainly pay the money to jump the queue.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 7:59:29 AM
The empoyees of the Australian Government interviewing these people speak the language of the people and have sympathies with these people. It is the same with Centrelink. Australian citizens and tax payers are being ripped off by these people.
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 4 January 2011 8:09:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy