The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 100% Australian made and owned product at the supermarket.

100% Australian made and owned product at the supermarket.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
*Ah so the meat exporters only flog the crap stuff? Why did you in another thread some time back insist the Americans had a right to the best Australian meat? You seem to have forgotten that comment it appears.*

Not so Pelican. The difference is that I happen to know a great deal
about the meat industry, its part of my job. You however, remain
ill informed, by a few rabid websites.

So for your benefit and education, I shall continue to clarify things.
America does indeed buy some top cuts from us. When those US
business executives choose rack of lamb for their dinner, its highly
likely that it is Australian product, top product.

But we produce far more lamb in Australia, then the American market
consumes, although thankfully the market keeps growing. So we also
send top cuts to the best paying markets, like 5 star hotels in the
ME, Belgium, Switzerland and a host of other countries.

Legs of lamb commonly go to Britain, or the US, or Europe, or even
Coles or Woolies.

In fact the biggest market for Australian lamb is local. That market
is divided into quality segments, according to price. I know butchers
who select only the best, most tender, well finished lambs, for the
best markets, who pay a premium price. I know other butchers who
simply buy on price, as that is what their clients want, el cheapo
meat. As long as its cheap, they will buy it and flog it, according
to what their consumers focus on.

You the consumer, have a choice, from the best to the cheapest.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 27 December 2010 10:07:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Not so Pelican. The difference is that I happen to know a great deal
about the meat industry, its part of my job. You however, remain
ill informed, by a few rabid websites."

You don't know anything about my work history Yabby nor what information I have been privy to.

You continue to suggest my reading is only that which already supports my view. An opinion can only be formed from reading widely on the subject or personal experience in the industry either directly or involvement at government level.

My links to those websites including the NFF (hardly radical from your POV) was a friendly invite to you to extend your reading on this subject. It is more telling that you only refer to my Tradewatch link but ignored the fact that I also linked to other sites - buty why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

As I said we will have to agree to disagree on the free trade/globalisation issue. There is already a lot more coming out about FT and various FTAs by economists and others involved in various industries and government. It will take a while but eventually IMO free trade will be an experiment that failed.

'The Unconscious Civilisation' by John Ralston Saul is another good read if you have the time or inclination.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 1:27:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*You don't know anything about my work history Yabby nor what information I have been privy to.*

Ah Pelican, but if you knew so much, then you would not make
foolish claims, as the one which I pointed out to you.

You've made the same claim before, on other threads. No doubt you
will do the same again, despite it being completely false.

I've focussed on that very point, so as to not get you sidetracked
and for you to focus and admit that you were wrong. Fat chance lol.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 2:18:09 PM
Yabby, well you are the one making claims or are you going to ignore your own comment about why US consumers should not have access to the best Australian meat.

"Ah Pelican, but if you knew so much, then you would not make
foolish claims, as the one which I pointed out to you."

Only in your opinion Yabby, it seems most of our meat exporters and trade groups would disagree with you.

http://www.sanger.com.au/index.php
http://www.landfa.com/

It is no wonder that many meat suppliers and associations representing the industry were against better labelling of meat products according to quality (age of beast etc).

What is even more interesting is that while local meat prices at the supermarket have risen farmers are in many cases earning the same as they did 10 or more years ago.

It is laughable that countries which import products like meat watch on while their own agricultural sectors decline due to lack of a level playing field such as subsidies and cheap labour (often highly exploitative labour) and where there is no governance. Many farmers are being driven off the land and we see a huge growth in foreign owned farms and meat processing.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2010/04/28/182071_business-news.html

I understand that someone who has been in the meat industry (or still is) might need to hold on strongly to FT mythology but putting one's head in the sand over the very real inequities serves no greater long term purpose. Short term self interest is not the key to improving our economic systems not is it conducive to open and honest debates that seek to improve human wellbeing, not only in our country but in others as well.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 9:43:38 PM
*or are you going to ignore your own comment about why US consumers should not have access to the best Australian meat.*

I answered that one, Pelican. There is enough of the best Australian
meat, for both Americans and Australians.

Go and tell a Mondo Meats or a Vics Meats, that they don't supply
the best to local markets! Have you ever gone to a saleyard, to see
how local prime butchers pick out exactly what they want for
their clients? Has it not occured to you, that our top gourmet
chefs, also want top meat? You are living in fairyland dear, if
you understand so little about the meat market.

*It is laughable that countries which import products like meat watch on while their own agricultural sectors decline due to lack of a level playing field such as subsidies and cheap labour*

Sheesh, Australia exports meat to the USA. Explain to me why US
consumers should not have access to our lamb, due to the playing field.

*Many farmers are being driven off the land and we see a huge growth in foreign owned farms and meat processing.*

Yes indeed, many Australians were driven off the land, by low meat
prices, paid by Australian companies. Luckily we have more intelligent
processors like the Brazilians moving into the market. Their
marketing skills and processing skills, frankly make some of our
companies look like schoolgirls. Farmers love their higher
prices. So what is wrong with that?
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 11:38:09 PM
According to page 2 of today's Canberra Times, both taste and tenderness of meat has declined over the years due to the side effects of using growth hormones. The same hormones that have been banned in the EU as having adverse side effects. Even Coles is deliberating on banning this kind of meat in their supermarkets due to greater demand for organic and non-contaminated food.

These tests were carried out by the CSIRO so it is not just my own experience or taste buds that you have to go by Yabby. I have also noticed that the density of beans in the brand we buy (baked beans) has declined and there is much more liquid than years previous but I suppose I am only imagining that one too.

So I wonder what happens to all this substandard meat now that you have declared that only the best meat is sold to local and overseas markets?

I guess these profit motivated companies just throw it away.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 7:47:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy