The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How Could OlO be Made more Welcoming to Women

How Could OlO be Made more Welcoming to Women

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All
I have to feel strongly about any issue before I make the time to add a comment. Generally speaking I think I have more useful things to do with my day. I never then enter into an argument with other writers after making my comment.
It is a well known fact that in any conversation men will interrupt the speaker more often than will a woman.
I think OLO suits this aspect in a man's nature that he wants to do battle, whereas women usually just want to state an opinion.
Posted by Country girl, Thursday, 25 February 2010 10:06:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Anti,

I can't take anything you say seriously.
You're such a mouther of tired words.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 25 February 2010 10:58:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would argue that the conversation so far misses the point it's more about the level of angst and general gamespersonship for dominance than anything else.

I find the notion that one has to aggressive, strident or particularly articulate to express good points on OLO is preposterously neanderthal. i.e. Those who are aggressive, strident, articulate aren't necessarily smarter or more correct than the proverbial social mouse.

To me the quality of the points made is what counts.

Therefore, how do we make OLO more inclusive? is a more apposite question.

My observations are topics are often dominated by extremes or overtly aggressive persons with personal agendas as opposed to sharing comments. Which in turn tends to narrow the range of contributions and contributors.
I note the names in the article section often don't appear in the general discussion threads the why is holds a key (I think)

The females/males in my family all have views and have on occasions followed some OLO conversations. All could and perhaps would contribute but ultimately conclude that while there are good contributors the unnecessary 'high voltage' personal attacks makes discussion not worth the the discomfort.

I am a past veteran of stouches attempting to encourage lifting quality/substance over argey bargey.

To some degree this has happened albeit slowly.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 25 February 2010 11:28:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, blow me down with a feather and call me Tulip.

Severin = Fractelle.

Thank goodness for that. I can now ask the question that has been nagging me since 9th November.

Fractelle, what's a custard apple? And what don't you like about them?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 25 February 2010 12:10:38 PM
' Those who are aggressive, strident, articulate aren't necessarily smarter or more correct than the proverbial social mouse.'

How do you feel about the wordy pontificators who brain dump with little punctuation and over-use the word apposite after they learned it from CJ?
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 25 February 2010 12:42:04 PM
People who find themselves being attacked personally need to have a look at that amount of agression in their own posts. It is hard to stay angry with someone who stays calm and reasonable. I cannot recall any truly nasty comments made towards Robert, Foxy or The Pied Piper [smile]. I wonder if TPP will ever re-appear like Fractelle/Severin. She wrote her last post about the wonders of internet gambling and we never heard from her again.
Posted by benk, Thursday, 25 February 2010 3:23:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. All