The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The most beautiful place you have seen.

The most beautiful place you have seen.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Foxy's thread on favourite destinations has touched this point. What is the most beautiful place/thing you have seen.

Being more interesten in natural things, than man made, for me Rabaul, New Britain, in PNG would come close.

It is set in the north eastern part of a huge ancient, sunken volcano crater, about 10 miles long, by 6 wide, with a 3 mile wide section fallen in, to give access. There are 5 younger volcano's, 2 still active, around the periphery.

The rich soil grows everything in profusion, & the bay is riot of green, from the coconuts to the huge mango, & avocado trees. This is so thick, that little of the man made town can be seen, until you are very close, as you sail in. Tourists ariving by cruise ship all raved about the beauty.

Yes Rabaul was beautiful, I don't know now, after the last volcano, but a little village on New Gorgia, in the Solomons is more so.

Vu Vu is at the head of a V shaped bay, about 2 Km deep, by one wide, at the mouth. The masses of coconut palms are like Rabaul, but both arms of the bay are fringed with a glittering black volcanic sand beach. You can just detect the village, & a small river/creek at the head of the bay.

Beautiful as this is, it is made truely startling by an island, of about a 5 acre of snow white coral sand, set no more than 50 Ft off the western headland of the bay.

The canopy of the prolific palms & trees actually meet over the passage between the black, & white sands. In an area where it is often hundreds of fathoms [6Ft] deep, just 50 ft off shore, a beach is unusual. These were so different, & beautiful, it took your breath away.

Why, or how, the sands stay seperated is something I keep promising myself, I will look into some day, but for now the facy they do, is enough.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 13 February 2010 12:02:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know if it qualifies as the most beautiful I've seen, but the bit of scenery that most sticks in my mind is the hills somewhere near Burra on the Barrier Highway in SA.

When we woke up in the tent in the morning, all you could see were brown volcanic? hills stretching off into the distance. It felt like you were right in the middle of a postcard. Desolation and beauty all rolled into one.
Posted by RobP, Saturday, 13 February 2010 2:25:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I used to do forestry and hunt in New Zealand in the area I described in Foxy's thread. Probably the most breath taking scenery you could come across, certainly was for me. Just awe inspiring.

Random google image of the area. Unfortunately you can't smell the area with photos.

http://www.fiordland.org.nz/images/GD-Dore-Pass.jpg
Posted by StG, Saturday, 13 February 2010 3:19:32 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

Thank You for this thread - and for again
sharing your experience with all of us on OLO.

One of my most treasured places - as I mentioned
in my earlier thread was Yosemite National Park
in California. Take a look at these photos and
you'll see why:

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.yosemite.html

The highest peaks, the tallest trees and some of the
most impressive natural scenery in the US is found in
California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. This is the region
that includes one of the best-known wonders of the world -
Yosemite National Park. Its a wilderness of evergreen
forests, high meadows and sheer walls of granite.
Soaring cliffs, plunging waterfalls, gigantic trees,
rugged canyons, mountains and valleys all combine to lend
Yosemite its incomparable beauty.

What I loved was that there were so many hiking trails and
motor routes all aimed at leading visitors from one awe-
inspiring panoramic scene to another.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 February 2010 4:07:35 PM
I may be just a teensy bit biased, but my considered view is that Mrs Macquarie’s Chair is the most beautiful spot on the surface of the earth.
Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=mrs+macquarie%27s+chair&ss=2&s=int
Map: http://snipurl.com/ucpgc

I've seen lots of spectacular landscapes, but for me a human element is important in making a beautiful place really memorable. It’s twenty-five years since I was there, and it wasn’t a very happy time, but I found Thira, on the Aegean island of Santorini, absolutely breathtaking:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/thira/interesting/

Tihany, on Hungary’s Lake Balaton, is not only beautiful, it also has lots of happy memories:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/tihany/interesting/
Posted by woulfe, Saturday, 13 February 2010 6:11:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear woulfe,

I too love Santorini.

To me the most beautiful of the villages on the
island is Oia.

The following website will give posters an idea why:

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini-villages/oia-santorini.htm
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 February 2010 6:54:43 PM
cont'd ...

My apologies - I made a typo with the
Oia website - I left out a name so you
won't be able to access it. Here's the
correct site:

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini/santorini-villages/oia-santorini.htm
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 February 2010 7:04:04 PM
For me, Queenstown in the south island of New Zealand is an absolute stunner in winter.

The mountains surrounding that town, covered in snow, just absolutely take your breath away.
It looks like a touched up travel brochure, except it is real!
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 14 February 2010 1:34:35 PM
Hey Foxy, I meant to add that Yosemite National Park in Autumn was my next choice, but I decided to pick somewhere a little closer to home ;)

In W.A. we don't have much of an autumn. Certainly nothing like the stunning orange, red, yellow and gold colours of the leaves in the US fall.

I was totally awe-inspired by the many varieties of trees in that park, but was admittedly scared I would run into Yogi bear!
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 14 February 2010 1:40:38 PM
Dear Suze,

We're planning a trip to New Zealand - after my
younger son simply raved about it.

As for Yosemite - so many memories - and talking
about bears. One huge one was walking along next to
our car - when my husband spotted it in the rear-view
mirror - and yelled for me to close my window -
I just made it in time - It actually left its breath
on my window... whew!

But it was the raccoons and deer and squirrels that kept
us entertained. The deer would come right up to the
back verandah of our cabin looking for food. And,
the raccoons and squirrels weren't afraid of humans at all.

There's so much that we'd still like to see in Oz though.
Maybe a road-trip would be the best way to go?
I'm reading everyone's trips and favourite places -
on my thread as well as this great one, and picking up
names and places...
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 14 February 2010 2:12:11 PM
The most beautiful place i have ever seen is my business and none of yours, so i aint gonna tell ya. You will have to gess.
Posted by Desmond, Monday, 15 February 2010 10:22:50 AM
Dear Des,

That's easy - it's got to be where your heart is -
and that's the green, green, grass and fields,
and rivers, and mountains, and beaches, and
cloudless skies, and flowering plants and tall
trees, and the smell of eucalyptus, and wattle,
a place called home - right?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 15 February 2010 1:55:59 PM
Desmond, do they call you scrooge at Christmas every year?
Thought so.
Bah humbug!
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 16 February 2010 11:46:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy