The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > White Ribbon Day

White Ribbon Day

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29
  13. All
Anti,

I'm not fond of Green Peace but that doesn't negate their cause(s).

Sure there is female violence mental and physical on males too (more than what people acknowledge but it doesn't alter the fact that many women cop male violence (any violence is unacceptable). But in the real world Male on Female is both the most visible and most common when compared to Female on male.

If the hype slows down one form of violence then that has to be good.

Put another way you appear to be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

The cause is valid.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 26 November 2009 8:49:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator:"I'm not fond of Green Peace but that doesn't negate their cause(s)."

That's a non sequitur, I'm afraid, I've already acknowledged their cause has merit, but it's not broad enough and it impugns men, especially when combined with the deliberate dishonesty they showed last year and probably this year too, given that I can't find any reference to where the "new figures" mentioned in the C-M release came from...

Examinator:"If the hype slows down one form of violence then that has to be good."

Not if it leads to a massive rise in violence against males by females, as seems to be the case. the NSW Bureau of crime statistics released data recently showing that violence perpetrated by females against males is the fastest growing category of assault.

Just to reiterate, for every woman injured due to violence, about 4 men will be and no one ever mentions them, except to call them "unmanly" for not just lying down and taking it, like good little dollies.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 26 November 2009 9:24:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Belly and Suzie.

The White Ribbon Campaign was started by a group of men in Canada who were appalled at a mass killing there. A fella who applied to do engineering at a Montreal University and didn't get in (but did get in to Arts or something), walked in, separated male and female students and shot the female engineering students then another few women. Fourteen people altogether I think. He said that he hated feminists and blamed them because he didn't get into the course he wanted. He also had a background of domestic abuse against his young wife and child.

Men in Montreal rallied to decry the gunman's actions and to express a firm commitment to non-violence.

As to the reporting error you keep blabbing on about Antiseptic; it wasn't "quietly' reported. I recall when it came out last year in the newspapers because Dr. Flood noted the error and immediately made it public knowledge. I think the report was of research done by some group commissioned by the WRC. I think people should look up the report and research and read it for themselves as I did last year. As usual you ignore any information and you have had an active campaign going against Dr. Flood for a long time because he is a major researcher and commentator on gender issues and pro-feminist.

Antiseptic you're a liar. You should hang your head in shame.

Btw: Can't post to the suicide comment right now because of post limits but I note over there that you are LYING AGAIN. The "steadily increasing rate of suicide for young men" to which you refer is a proportion of ALL suicide which has fluctuated downward over the past century. The suicide rate is in decline across the board and currently approximate rates from around 1920; might even be lower than the figures for 1920.

You're a victim of your own malice.
Posted by Pynchme, Thursday, 26 November 2009 9:37:27 AM
pynchme:"He also had a background of domestic abuse against his young wife and child."

He had no wife or child, he was never married...

He was also very probably psychotic or at least had a serious personality disorder, which is hardly typical of your average Australian bloke (despite your and sharkfin's belief that 80% of men are defective), so why he became a poster boy for the anti-DV campaign I'll never know.

The correction that was published (it wasn't Flood who did so, but the head of the White Ribbon foundation; Flood was the one who made the original dishonest claims and never retracted as far as I can recall. Ha has been doing so for years, as you correctly point out.

I'll leave your suicide comments to the discussion in the other thread, except to direct you to the ABS, or even the report you referenced on that thread. Suffice to say you're quite wrong, as usual.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 26 November 2009 9:50:20 AM
So many that suggest they support an anti violence campaign are so very verbally abusive. Therein lies my point.

I was briefly exposed to violence by a male. Very briefly lol. I was not a victim of male violence though, being a natural born clutz one more minor bruise from someone I had no emotional investment in did not do me any damage.

However, I have been exposed to mental violence by a power control freak whose ego would never allow him to be violent toward women, plus afterall they were hardly worth the energy. He is now a multi millionaire and heavens knows how many emotionally ruined lives he has left in his wake in his bid for power. I have an image of him being first in line to sign up to this cause without any guilt his actions may have created the stress and dysfunction that gives rise to violence, both domestic and otherwise. It would feed his superiority complex very nicely.

I also hear that some men feel victimised yet many suggest they go hide under a rock. So we repeat the abuse of victims in society, learning nothing and only selecting the in thing, the 3 minute poster cause of the day so we can trot out to tell the world how good we are, but are we?
Posted by TheMissus, Thursday, 26 November 2009 10:24:27 AM
Killing unborn babies is the only more cowardly thing I can think than belting women. In saying that I have witnessed a number of women copping their floggings over the last couple of years. In some cultures the police are slow to act and frustrated by women's refusal to lay charges. I suspect wearing a ribbon (something once reserved for girls) might make a few feel better but won't stop one bashing. Saying sorry certainly has not improved the plight of aboriginals.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 26 November 2009 10:24:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29