The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > How proactive are you to reduce Australian racism.?

How proactive are you to reduce Australian racism.?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I am racist by the pc definition however my closest friends are Asian, African, South African and Indigenous. I do however believe in selective immigration which many find abhorrent even though they themselves also believe the same when pressed on it.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 15 October 2009 8:08:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come on Desmond, I am just a working bloke too but obbos?, well abbos?
See your posts say mine are not far from true.
Up early two hour drive pre work start and with a crew containing an Aboriginal with 30 years service, he is my delegate.
Why the difference?
opportunity, education, a lot but not any different than this once country boy.
Alice? well we need answers but that is out fault not theirs.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 October 2009 3:33:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Desmond,
Now you are sounding like "DESPERATE" DES trying to excuse the excusable or laziness. By the way, every Word processor package has a spell checker.

Just for your information I left school at 16 all my study (education) happened in my late 20's-30s. After I had done everything from working as a chicken slaughter to cleaning septic tanks and lots of dirty jobs in between.

Sympathy be damned!

A number of us have actually spent years in the front line down and dirty actually delivering assistance to indigenous people among others. So cut the bull and simply think what's being said, that doesn't require an education just effort.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 16 October 2009 1:02:45 PM
To the question of the thread, "How proactive are you to reduce Australian racism?"

The best thing one can do is to treat all people as you would like to be treated yourself. Understand that everyone has different abilities and levels of understanding. And that goes for Australians too. But don't dwell on it either, because if you're overly nice, people will take you for granted. As the saying goes, "familiarity can breed contempt". Be nice to others but in as balanced and sustainable a way as possible. It will soon be clear if you're going too far one way or the other.

In terms of personal relationships, my advice would be render to God what is God's. That is, everyone is created differently. Don't judge, but accept others for who they are. Then once you see what they are and believe, make a decision as to whether they are who you want to mix with. There's no need for any rancour - just part ways if it isn't working out. Both parties will be better off that way.

It sounds easy, but that's what it boils down to. If people can do that at the core of their relationships with others, racism will not be an issue.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 16 October 2009 1:38:24 PM
'Tis true, Desmond. I left school at 14 after an indifferent education and spent twenty five years working in factories, but it never stopped me educating myself.
I agree with your earlier point about the aboriginals being better off without white culture, but I don't think there's any going back.
It's going to take momentous effort on both sides, I think; aboriginals have to adapt to how things are--which also means dealing with Western prejudice, often particularly virulent against aboriginals. And Westerners should empathise with aboriginals, trying to imagine what it's like to be the focus of so much derision and hatred.
Personally, I think I'd be having psychological issues if I couldn't walk down the street without being treated by many with suspicion at best, and contempt and hostility at worst. ...I think that would play on the mind a bit!
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 16 October 2009 1:50:54 PM
squeers
Thats the first time some one has said anything that is remotely posative. [ There is no turning back.]
So how about some suggestions on forward movement.
Our govt; is going to make some tough decisions on this matter.
The situation in Alice Springs is volatile.
I can not see a way of forward movement while these camps remain where they are. What the kids learn at school when they go, is discarded when they get home.
If seperation is a way forward then so be it.
Maybe we have to have adult education.
Posted by Desmond, Friday, 16 October 2009 2:24:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy